Kala C buzz

Ryan21

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new ukulele player, I purchased a Kala KA 15C from sweetwater and after tuning, the C cord had terrible buzzing/vibrating even while gently strumming. The customer service department sent a replacement, and this one is much better, however I'm still noticing buzzing vibration primarily when i'm not using any frets and perhaps when the strums are a little harder (though it doesn't take much).

Is this normal, i know this is the thickest cord.. I heard kala was quite a good brand to begin with.

This is very fun though and learning is fun! Will have to practice strum patterns and singing at the same time.

Can you post a video of how you are strumming when this happens? Hard to believe that 2 different ukuleles have the same "terrible" problem. There may be a problem with how you are playing them.

Edit:
Okay great! My wearing blue shirt is my current Uke. If it is me great to fix. If it isn't maybe I'll settle for a local one, I went to one store and they didn't have much but a cheap inbox. There is another store I can check, and even bring it in.

Thank you too TimWilson I went for the tube

Last edited:
Okay great! The first video is of the one I returned. The second video is of my new one.
Thank you

I hope the videos work, it says too large to upload... But one is a 4 second video so hmmm. Maybe I can tiny url them

Hi Ryan,

We don't really have a proper streaming server, so what most folks do is to pick a favorite platform -- YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Instagram, etc -- post the video there, and embed that video here.

I'll be happy to help with this, so please don't hesitate to click the Start Private Conversation link at the bottom of this post (it may be under the little arrow in the lower left), and we can sort it out together if need be!

Thanks,
Tim
UU Moderation Team

String tension seems way to low in your videos, especially in the 2nd video. Did you tune the ukulele correctly?

String tension seems way to low in your videos, especially in the 2nd video. Did you tune the ukulele correctly?
Bingo.

Some sellers detune significantly for shipping, to relieve strain on the neck while the instrument winds its way to you over the rivers and through the woods. There are several free tuner apps for mobile phones, if you don’t have a tuner. That C string should be C4.

wow thank you so much. what a life saver you all. I used the clip on tuner and it was telling me i tuned it correctly... however upon making the strings waaaayyyyyy tighter, i found myself at the other end of the spectrum. tuned correctly at a much tighter string, so really tuned correctly!

I feel like a super stah!

Good job. You probably had some of the strings tuned an octave too low before.

At least you avoided the other beginner mistake: tuning it too high. On my first attempt I broke a string because I was inadvertantly trying to tune everything in the 5th octave.

Top Bottom