I need a little help

Both of my Lanikai CDSTs use that same type of bridge and like it as there are no twisty-loopies. I call it a double-hole bridge.

<edit> This was my first ukulele.
I think it was in 2001, and it's what caused (enabled?) me to give up guitar forever. A Lanikai LU21-B:

Attachments

• DSCN8890.JPG
    DSCN8890.JPG
    714.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Interesting. I thought I had seen every type of bridge there was.
Learn something new everyday here.
Now I know where the idea for string ties came from.

Even after eyeing the clear drawing of how it works, I may be missing the point, but isn’t it also possible to simply tie a good fisherman’s knot, run the string through only once, and the knot will hold it in place?

Sorry Scrugs, but although that might work I don't think that was what was intended...

I have a Bruce Wei bridge set up like this... If I can get myself off the couch (day15 of being sick... this is NOT going well) I'll take a picture and post the tie, which happens in the slot under the bridge. If it's like mine, there are 8 holes in parallel sets of two for the 4 strings. and the way it is looped through itself is not intuitive.

Again... might take me a couple of hours... my next trip off the couch is for ibuprofen. I'll try to make it happen today but I feel like :poop:.

I let you know how it works once the Uke has arrived and I have changed the strings I might upload a video then
it may be confusing at first, but the instructions are clear. There are advantages to using the quick-tie method afforded by this bridge, as noted in Lanakai's instructions. Or you can revert back to the more common method, if that's your preference.
I have this bridge on one of Lanakai's more recent models, and I agree with their claims. It's a nice innovation.

I have one with a triple hole. It works basically the same way except, the string crosses over and then through.

The only issue I have had is being able to securely attach a fluorocarbon A string. The string tends to slip as it is brought to tension. This has caused me to loop the string to keep it secure.

I would anticipate having to knot the end of the A string, after running it under the string, if it starts to slip.

John

Sorry Scrugs, but although that might work I don't think that was what was intended...

I have a Bruce Wei bridge set up like this... If I can get myself off the couch (day15 of being sick... this is NOT going well) I'll take a picture and post the tie, which happens in the slot under the bridge. If it's like mine, there are 8 holes in parallel sets of two for the 4 strings. and the way it is looped through itself is not intuitive.

Again... might take me a couple of hours... my next trip off the couch is for ibuprofen. I'll try to make it happen today but I feel like :poop:.
I hope you recover soon. All the best to you. Stay hydrated.

OK- 24 hours later... This isn't quite the same as what Renaissance posted, and it looks even a bit more secure to me...

IMG_1100.JPG

Talk about brainfog...

So, I just had this crazy idea... was this BWAs idea for getting rid of some extra 8 string bridges laying around? It does look really similar to the bridge on my Bruce Wei 8 stringer...
:sleep:

Last edited:
OK- 24 hours later... This isn't quite the same as what Renaissance posted, and it looks even a bit more secure to me...

View attachment 149109

Talk about brainfog...

So, I just had this crazy idea... was this BWAs idea for getting rid of some extra 8 string bridges laying around? It does look really similar to the bridge on my Bruce Wei 8 stringer...
:sleep:
Adding that extra loop also looks cleaner. Good job.

John

I recently acquired an older kala with the double hole bridge...the quick tie/Lanikai method didn't work using oasis fc strings, kept pulling out while trying to tighten. Couldn't even get the first (4th, g) string tightened and after a few tries went back to traditional tie method. YMMV.

Top Bottom