How to Pronounce Jake Shimabukuro?

My assumption was that this thread was a humorous response to earlier thread concerning confusion over the pronunciation of likelike, a highway on Oahu.

Yes, intended to be humorous, due to the numerous threads about pronouncing ukulele, uke, Likelike, Nunes, et al. This was in no way mocking anyone's ethnic background. Sorry if misunderstood and I offended anyone.

Obviously intended to be humorous. Lighten up Francis!!! I saw a video of Jake's brother, Bruce saying he heard that in WW2 they called some guy with the same last name Shimmy-Buckaroo!!! He was laughing about it....don't see why we can't.

I met Jake a number of years ago in Downtown LA at U-Space. I shook his hand saying, "Jake, I really admire your skill." I pronounced it like cake. He simply said, "Thanks very much, what's your name?" I said, "Michael." He never corrected me, so I believe 'like cake' is correct. I should also add that when I watch videos of him that includes an introduction, they also say Jake (like cake).

My last name is boody and is pronounced “boo-dee” like the synonym for the human ass, and it has been that way my entire life, if that absolves me of any guilt here.

I grew up in the South (Tennessee), where mispronouncing words is an art form. At least half of everyone I knew didn't pronounce my name the way I learned it. Now I live in California where it's pronounced yet another way, so I try not to be too critical of regional variances and other people's choices for pronunciation.

Top Bottom