Holy crap holy crap holy crap

Voran

Reaction score
Look at this mutated crow who's mostly white with black markings

I demand everyone be excited about this with me

431003746_122131212134111240_3228365439994385669_n.jpg

I love corvids. They get a terribly bad press, probably because they are associated with bad luck but my favourite is the Eurasian Magpie; from a distance they always remind me of a man in black top hat and tails but closeup they have a beautiful iridescent purply-blue plumage and a snowy-white bib.

Like the rest of the crow family they are highly intelligent birds, too, and although they are very inquisitive their reputation for stealing from humans is a myth.

Attachments

• magpieuu.mp4
    9.9 MB
Last edited:
That is a FANCY crow! What a great photo!

As you can probably tell from my avatar, corvids are right up there in my estimation. I even have a section devoted to them on my website.

There was a white raven in Qualicum Beach for years, and he/she even had a mate. My dad used to do field work up there and would see them once in a while.

My dad also had a pet crow when he was a kid.

We have a local raven that has a really cool call that's completely different than any other I've ever heard. I've never been able to record it, can't describe it, but it's definitely unique and identifiable whenever the sound is made!

I love corvids. They get a terribly bad press, probably because they are associated with bad luck but my favourite is the Eurasian Magpie; from a distance they always remind me of a man in black top hat and tails but closeup they have a beautiful iridescent purply-blue plumage and a snowy-white bib.

Like the rest of the crow family they are highly intelligent birds, too, and although they are very inquisitive their reputation for stealing from humans is a myth.

Love magpies! And this is a beautiful song. Cute magpie video clip too!

There's a great kid's book called More by I.C. Springman and Brian Lies that has beautiful illustrations of a magpie. Plus Candace Savage's book Bird Brains is a must for corvid fans!

Last edited:
That is a FANCY crow! What a great photo!

As you can probably tell from my avatar, corvids are right up there in my estimation. I even have a section devoted to them on my website.

There was a white raven in Qualicum Beach for years, and he/she even had a mate. My dad used to do field work up there and would see them once in a while.

My dad also had a pet crow when he was a kid.

We have a local raven that has a really cool call that's completely different than any other I've ever heard. I've never been able to record it, can't describe it, but it's definitely unique and identifiable whenever the sound is made!
Squeeeeeeeeeee

Someone should do a breeding program with those white ones!

Vladimir also has a distinctive deep oscillating ooooooooo sound and will perch on a telegraph pole and broadcast it until I say hello back. Tatiana's is more a soft tremolo sound akin to the mid strings on a guitar.

Corvid club needs a permanent thread!

There are often ravens up on the water tower a couple hundred feet away. I hear them and reply, (badly) and they almost always fly right over me while talking back to me. It's incredibly endearing.

Corvid club needs a permanent thread!

There are often ravens up on the water tower a couple hundred feet away. I hear them and reply, (badly) and they almost always fly right over me while talking back to me. It's incredibly endearing.
OMG please post pics if you can get some! I'd love to see a zoom shot of your local ravens!

OMG please post pics if you can get some! I'd love to see a zoom shot of your local ravens!
I'll try my best! Unfortunately, my only phone is in my camera at the moment. When I hear them on the tower and talk to them they usually fly right over me within a minute. They used to only be seen further up north up the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota, but now they're around here all the time.

Top Bottom