Help with Malagueña on low G tenor?

BiosphereDecay

Reaction score
I finally feel comfortable enough with the uke that I put a low G on my tenor and it's awesome!

I'm trying to learn this song: https://ukutabs.com/m/misc-traditional/malaguena/

It seems challenging, but overall achieveable. There's a few chords that I think I need an easier version of. I can't use my pinky on any string but sometimes A (if I don't have to stretch at all), because of permanent muscle injury. What chords would you recommend to replace the Bb (1123) and C (3345) chords?

Don't play the G string. The G string just duplicates the note of the A string. Play Bb as X123 and the C as X345. There's no rule that says you always have to play 4 strings for chords with only 3 notes. I don't have any muscle injuries but I often only play 3 notes in a chord because the 4th one is a pain in the ass.

The tab is to play the melody and chords are for accompaniment and to help with finger position for the melody. So for accompaniment you can play any version of the chord that suits you and for the melody you can omit any note that is not really needed by ear.

Also keep in mind that these tabs are someone's interpretation of the music, so take them as an approximation and guide to play but not as a strict rule as most contain error.

Last edited:
Don't play the G string. The G string just duplicates the note of the A string. Play Bb as X123 and the C as X345. There's no rule that says you always have to play 4 strings for chords with only 3 notes. I don't have any muscle injuries but I often only play 3 notes in a chord because the 4th one is a pain in the ass.
This seems possible, but somehow it doesn't have the same feel without the G (just to double clarify, this is a low G). The A chord that follows sounds a bit weird after those higher pitched chords. Anyone else have suggestions that could include the G string?

Edit: Seems like following those chords with 012x or 021x work in place of the A. Sounds better to my ear at least. Not sure which of those two fits better. Still open to other suggestions that include the G string.

Last edited:
Oh, I just noticed the A(4546) at the very end. Same pinky problem here.

The arrangement I play (from Jeff Peterson) plays both the Bb and the C with an open A string.
Been practicing it with this, and it's suddenly feeling achievable. Thanks! How do you play the A at the very end?

(Wouldn't be opposed to more suggestions to try out.)

(Wouldn't be opposed to more suggestions to try out.)
You mention the pinky problem, have you tried barring the 4th fret and then playing the 5th fret with middle, and 6th fret with ring? While that is a beautiful A chord, to me that chord has too much "lift" and does not fit the mood of the piece. I end by just arpeggiating that 1st position A chord.

If that at all makes sense!

Excellent time to learn bar chords!

Bar the first fret and play the strings. You’ll need to adjust your finger position a bit, and at first you’ll tend to over-grip, which is why people think it’s “hard”—it’s not really, but it’s new to your hand.

Once you can do that, play a A shape over it and you have Bb only using three fingers. Slide your hand up two frets and the same shape is a C. Those are the two shapes that you‘re trying to play with four fingers. MANY books omit the bar, and because you’re fairly new your brain doesn’t automatically recognize it. You will.

Now for Bonus Fun, bar the fourth fret and play 7 on the A string with your ring finger. Ever wondered why beginner books tell you to play C with your ring finger? THIS is why. Once you can play 4447 (E) 3336 (Eb), no chord will ever be difficult ever again, at least not in isolation.

Excellent time to learn bar chords!

Bar the first fret and play the strings. You’ll need to adjust your finger position a bit, and at first you’ll tend to over-grip, which is why people think it’s “hard”—it’s not really, but it’s new to your hand.

Once you can do that, play a A shape over it and you have Bb only using three fingers. Slide your hand up two frets and the same shape is a C. Those are the two shapes that you‘re trying to play with four fingers. MANY books omit the bar, and because you’re fairly new your brain doesn’t automatically recognize it. You will.

Now for Bonus Fun, bar the fourth fret and play 7 on the A string with your ring finger. Ever wondered why beginner books tell you to play C with your ring finger? THIS is why. Once you can play 4447 (E) 3336 (Eb), no chord will ever be difficult ever again, at least not in isolation.
I can't even bar two strings without rolling my finger all the way to its side. 3 or 4 strings makes no sense to me. Some strings, sometimes all of the strings, end up muted, because my finger simply isn't flat. I have pushed as hard as I possibly can, in multiple positions, and it just doesn't seem possible.

You mention the pinky problem, have you tried barring the 4th fret and then playing the 5th fret with middle, and 6th fret with ring? While that is a beautiful A chord, to me that chord has too much "lift" and does not fit the mood of the piece. I end by just arpeggiating that 1st position A chord.

If that at all makes sense!
Arpeggiating the A up 1 and then another 2 frets sounds pretty good to me, thanks!

I can't even bar two strings without rolling my finger all the way to its side. 3 or 4 strings makes no sense to me. Some strings, sometimes all of the strings, end up muted, because my finger simply isn't flat. I have pushed as hard as I possibly can, in multiple positions, and it just doesn't seem possible.

Arpeggiating the A up 1 and then another 2 frets sounds pretty good to me, thanks!
Yes, that’s exactly what I have to do.

Takes a bit of practice to figure out what works for you. My finger needs to sit about 1/4 rotated on steel string, slightly flatter on Nylon, which I suspect is due to the higher action.

Keep trying!

Top Bottom