Hello from Chicago!

Flourdust

Reaction score
Hi! I’m a longtime musician who’s recently found himself in ukulele land. Years ago I bought my spouse a baritone, since she’d expressed interest in learning and I, as a guitarist, figured I could help. She hasn’t gotten around to it yet, but our eight-year-old has discovered the instrument and now I’m teaching him the basics. Curious to learn more about how uke technique differs from guitar technique.

Welcome to UU, Flourdust and a warm hello from another Chicago boy!

Welcome to the UU forums and to ukulele! Lots of people here either came from guitar or also play guitar along with ukulele, so if you end up with any specific questions, feel free to ask away!

I’ll second what @ploverwing says. Welcome from the Gulf Coast of Florida, @Flourdust! There are lots of former (and current) guitarists here (as well as Chicagoans). This is a friendly, encouraging, and generous community, so feel free to ask for help when you need it. Have fun!

Welcome to the forum, Flourdust. I am also a guitarist who joined the Uke community, and never looked back. 😁. Both instruments are wonderful, but I think learning the Ukulele was much easier for me for some reason. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask for advice here...it's a wonderful community👍

Howdy @Flourdust! Many guitarists and Chicagolanders here, so you'll find yourself at home soon! Also one of UU's founders is fully bilingual on guitar and ukulele (Aaron Nakamura, @anaka), and the other, Aldrine Guerrero, started on guitar before picking up the ukulele (as well as clarinet, flute and more)! Multi-multi-instrumentalists! 🤣

Our guitar forums aren't as busy as our uke forums of course, but feel free to start something up there if you need to!

Thanks for finding us, and thanks for introducing yourself!

Top Bottom