Fresh ukester from Minnesota

Timm_S

Reaction score
Hello all—I'm brand new to this community and to the Ukulele world. Though I've been a musician all my life as a professional keyboardist, I've just begun jamming on ukulele about a month ago, and purchased my own first uke just last week. I retired from my day job (in commercial printing) two years ago, though I still play keyboards as the contemporary worship music director at a small progressive church in south Minneapolis. We've had uke players in my worship group, though I had never considered taking it up myself.

Then last month I saw a posting at my local YMCA where I work out, for a Uke strummers group that meets once a week. We've got a small soprano uke sitting here that we actually had bought for our 4-yr old granddaughter—just a cheap one, but not-quite-a-toy either and at least you could actually tune it. So I attended a few strumming sessions using that small uke, and quickly decided I needed something a little more comfortable for my larger hands if I was to continue this. Found a nice gently-used Lanikai Quilt Ash Concert Cutaway Acoustic/Electric Ukulele (with a Fishman pickup) in good shape so I'm now having fun with that. A guitar-pro friend of mine from the church group advised me to take this in for an actual setup; and since I've also played (at) guitar since 1965 I'm considering having this uke re-strung with the low-G tuning as it would feel more familiar to me that way.

Musical background: graduated Berklee College of Music (Boston) in 1978. Main influences have been everything from prog-rock (ELP, King Crimson) to New Wave techno (Ultravox, Devo), as well as Big Band Jazz, Broadway show-tunes, disco (!), played for a while in a Beatles Tribute band, a Woodstock Tribute band, and some African (Soukous style) and Reggae bands. I like variety.

It looks like there's a lot of good stuff to get to know around here and I'm so glad I discovered this site! Been lurking here for a couple of weeks so I thought I might as well finally register to say hello and Thanks for everything that I've learned here already. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Timm_S, welcome to the UU Forum. Wow, music has been a big part of your life. You will find many others that have similar backgrounds.

Unfortunately I am not one of them. The uke is the first instrument I have played with any success.

Thanks for posting and joining in.

Welcome to the UU Forum, Timm. I play multiple instruments and love them all. But when it comes to the sheer fun factor, none of them can hold a candle to the ukulele. With your music background, and interest in so many musical genres, you‘re in for a joyous uke journey!

Wow, thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone. As I've been randomly scanning through and reading many of the old threads here, it looks like a truly helpful and friendly group and that's encouraging. Music has a great way of bringing people together. When I was working full-time and had to scramble through hectic rush-hour traffic to get to my late-afternoon rehearsals, no matter how bad a day it's been or how stressed I felt going into it, I always came out recharged and refreshed after playing music for two hours. Music is a great healer.

Hello all—I'm brand new to this community and to the Ukulele world. Though I've been a musician all my life as a professional keyboardist, I've just begun jamming on ukulele about a month ago, and purchased my own first uke just last week. I retired from my day job (in commercial printing) two years ago, though I still play keyboards as the contemporary worship music director at a small progressive church in south Minneapolis. We've had uke players in my worship group, though I had never considered taking it up myself.

Then last month I saw a posting at my local YMCA where I work out, for a Uke strummers group that meets once a week. We've got a small soprano uke sitting here that we actually had bought for our 4-yr old granddaughter—just a cheap one, but not-quite-a-toy either and at least you could actually tune it. So I attended a few strumming sessions using that small uke, and quickly decided I needed something a little more comfortable for my larger hands if I was to continue this. Found a nice gently-used Lanikai Quilt Ash Concert Cutaway Acoustic/Electric Ukulele (with a Fishman pickup) in good shape so I'm now having fun with that. A guitar-pro friend of mine from the church group advised me to take this in for an actual setup; and since I've also played (at) guitar since 1965 I'm considering having this uke re-strung with the low-G tuning as it would feel more familiar to me that way.

Musical background: graduated Berklee College of Music (Boston) in 1978. Main influences have been everything from prog-rock (ELP, King Crimson) to New Wave techno (Ultravox, Devo), as well as Big Band Jazz, Broadway show-tunes, disco (!), played for a while in a Beatles Tribute band, a Woodstock Tribute band, and some African (Soukous style) and Reggae bands. I like variety.

It looks like there's a lot of good stuff to get to know around here and I'm so glad I discovered this site! Been lurking here for a couple of weeks so I thought I might as well finally register to say hello and Thanks for everything that I've learned here already. Cheers!
Hi from Minneapolis - Check out www.tcukeclub.com. For ukulele setup in the Twin Cities, the very best is St. Paul Guitar Repair - https://www.stpaulguitarrepair.com/. - Tony

You will find many others that have similar backgrounds.
Yeah, but Berklee grads tho?! Yeesh!

When I was working full-time and had to scramble through hectic rush-hour traffic to get to my late-afternoon rehearsals, no matter how bad a day it's been or how stressed I felt going into it, I always came out recharged and refreshed after playing music for two hours. Music is a great healer.
Some of us may or may not have played uke whilst in traffic. Definitely at red lights! 😏

"The Dude"
Lebowski fan? "I'm The Dude... that's what they call me." 😎

Hi from Minneapolis - Check out www.tcukeclub.com. For ukulele setup in the Twin Cities, the very best is St. Paul Guitar Repair - https://www.stpaulguitarrepair.com/. - Tony
Well, that’s nice to hear a good recommendation for St. Paul Guitar Repair. I called and talked to a handful of places this week, and that is the shop I was actually planning to use. I just now started in a series of uke classes to run the next two weeks, so right after that I can finally take it in and give it up for the 1.5 to 2 weeks they said it would take. I’m excited to get that done, so thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to UU, Timm_s!
The uke is just so small and readily available. You can play jazz, hawaiian, classical, originals and everything in between on it.
There's much to explore, so get inspired!

Welcome to UU, Timm_s!
The uke is just so small and readily available. You can play jazz, hawaiian, classical, originals and everything in between on it.
There's much to explore, so get inspired!
Thank you Ms Bean. I am having loads of fun exploring all of this, largely through all the members’ contributions on this site, including yours… I had way underestimated the fun and potential of these lovely little instruments. Lots to discover here.

Top Bottom