New Uke Day (NUD) Finally got a Curly Sinker Redwood / Rosewood Concert Ukulele (Ohana CK-42E)

I posted in the fall looking for a rare curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele from Ohana (CK-42E), but did not have any luck. Apparently there were only about two dozen ever made. I kept searching at least every other day since then. Some very kind UU members gave me tips on trying to find one. Badhabits sent me tip for one on sale FMM March 4th, but by the time I found out that FMM stood for Flea Market Music it was already gone.

Yesterday I drive to Sheffield, Massachusetts (coincidentally also home of Magic Fluke Co.) to pick up my curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele (5 hour round trip). Thank you so much JDP for reaching out to me and selling it to me! It was also great to meet another UU member in person.

I saw pictures of the curly redwood version before, but pictures do not do justice to the beauty of the wood. It is breathtaking in person. I knew I would love the sound because I have been playing a non-curly sinker redwood/rosewood version (CK-42) that I bought from another member in November. It has a full sound that is brighter than cedar, but not as bright as spruce. I have never played a low G before, but this ukulele was strung with some brown low G strings and it sounds deep and warm.

JDP asked about my remark in a prior post that I wanted this ukulele for partly sentimental reasons, so I thought that I would share my reasons here as well. I know that this is a long post so if you skip the rest of the text and go to the pictures, don't worry, you are not missing anything ukulele related ;)

I was very close to my paternal grandparents. They both loved the outdoors and the mountains of Colorado where I grew up. They also loved beautiful figured wood.

My grandfather grew up poor in northern California near the redwood forests. In the depression, his family could not afford food for all the children so he went off to the woods (about age 12) and lived in a group with adults who looked out for him. He eventually lied about his age (stating he was older) and became a lumberjack to help his family.

It is possible that some of this sinker redwood was floating down the river or had just sunk to the bottom of the river at the time my grandfather was a lumberjack. I know that he and my grandmother would absolutely love the look of the wood. When I play this ukulele, I will remember them.

View attachment 168858View attachment 168859View attachment 168860View attachment 168861
Beautiful!

Wowza—so shimmery and alive! Just shows that it pays to be patient and hold to your dream and accept no substitutes. The heart wants what it wants.

But now—how does it sound?
It sounds beautiful and full. It has Worth brown low G strings, which seem to suit it. It is loud/strong, but is not an overwhelming cannon. This is the first time I played a uke with a low G string and I really like it. I think I will spend some time looking into songs that are particularly well suited for low G strings.

Last edited:
:)hey wait, I grew up poor in Norrthern Calif. Spent a lot time time outdoors while living in Colorado... naawwww. ;):p
Perhaps you are a long lost relative. ;) If you grew up around Eureka, CA and you have the family name Bowles in your history, that would clinch it. Otherwise perhaps we are just related in spirit. :)
I have now lived in the Boston area more years that I lived in Colorado, but Colorado will always be my home in my heart. Every time I visit my heart yearns to stay. The first few years here I was far too friendly.

When I first got here it was quite the culture shock. I made eye contact with people on the T (subway) and people with mental issues took that to be a sign that I wanted to be their best friend and to follow me home. When I started friendly small talk with people (e.g., at Dunkin Donuts) they looked at me like I was crazy. I now live in a town 10 miles north of the Boston where it more friendly, but not Colorado friendly.

That is gorgeous. Fortunately I worked through all my wood envy during my harp phase, so I can look and admire without coveting now.

I posted in the fall looking for a rare curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele from Ohana (CK-42E), but did not have any luck. Apparently there were only about two dozen ever made. I kept searching at least every other day since then. Some very kind UU members gave me tips on trying to find one. Badhabits sent me tip for one on sale FMM March 4th, but by the time I found out that FMM stood for Flea Market Music it was already gone.

Yesterday I drove to Sheffield, Massachusetts (coincidentally also home of Magic Fluke Co.) to pick up my curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele (5 hour round trip). Thank you so much JDP for reaching out to me and selling it to me! It was also great to meet another UU member in person.

I saw pictures of the curly redwood version before, but pictures do not do justice to the beauty of the wood. It is breathtaking in person. I knew I would love the sound because I have been playing a non-curly sinker redwood/rosewood version (CK-42) that I bought from another member in November. It has a full sound that is brighter than cedar, but not as bright as spruce. I have never played a low G before, but this ukulele was strung with some brown low G strings and it sounds deep and warm.

JDP asked about my remark in a prior post that I wanted this ukulele for partly sentimental reasons, so I thought that I would share my reasons here as well. I know that this is a long post so if you skip the rest of the text and go to the pictures, don't worry, you are not missing anything ukulele related ;)

I was very close to my paternal grandparents. They both loved the outdoors and the mountains of Colorado where I grew up. They also loved beautiful figured wood.

My grandfather grew up poor in northern California near the redwood forests. In the depression, his family could not afford food for all the children so he went off to the woods (about age 12) and lived in a group with adults who looked out for him. He eventually lied about his age (stating he was older) and became a lumberjack to help his family.

It is possible that some of this sinker redwood was floating down the river or had just sunk to the bottom of the river at the time my grandfather was a lumberjack. I know that he and my grandmother would absolutely love the look of the wood. When I play this ukulele, I will remember them.

View attachment 168858View attachment 168859View attachment 168860View attachment 168861
HOLY SMOKES!!!
That's gorgeous!

Yesterday I drove to Sheffield, Massachusetts (coincidentally also home of Magic Fluke Co.) to pick up my curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele (5 hour round trip). Thank you so much JDP for reaching out to me and selling it to me! It was also great to meet another UU member in person.

I'm so glad your ukulele came to you. We were all rooting for you to find one or for one to find you. Enjoy. Enjoy

Top Bottom