Eastman EU3T vs Singer RT1M-TS

Bertus

Reaction score
Thinking of selling my Eastman and buying a Singer instead.., good choice?

Eastmans have great looking mahogany but ya gotta like the Singer sun burst finish. Have you had a chance to try them out?

Eastmans have great looking mahogany but ya gotta like the Singer sun burst finish. Have you had a chance to try them out?
No chance to try the Singer.
Wonder what playability is with the radius fretboard.

I've not had the chance to play either of them but they're both fine looking instruments. I've viewed the Eastman online many times and would love to try one. I also immediately liked the looks and sound of the Singer on TUS. Personally, if I liked the Eastman I owned, I wouldn't part with it for any other uke until I've played it and know for sure that I'd be happy with it as a replacement. Too much room for seller's regret to move something known and liked to replace with the unknown.

I've not had the chance to play either of them but they're both fine looking instruments. I've viewed the Eastman online many times and would love to try one. I also immediately liked the looks and sound of the Singer on TUS. Personally, if I liked the Eastman I owned, I wouldn't part with it for any other uke until I've played it and know for sure that I'd be happy with it as a replacement. Too much room for seller's regret to move something known and liked to replace with the unknown.
You are right, not easy to decide. Problem is that there is no shop where I can try a ukulele of a higher level.
Also because of artritis I am interested in the radius fretboard.

No personal experience, but from the sound samples I think I might actually prefer the sound of the Eastman. But who knows how they sound in flesh.. :) people who have tried them I guess!

As for the radius fret-board, have you found it helpful or are you hoping it's going to be helpful?
Because I have to say personally, while I don't suffer from arthritis, as a beginner player I did not find it different on my AMM3. The setup of the ukulele and the choice of strings (particularly lower tension) make more of a difference.

Reactions: TBB
No personal experience, but from the sound samples I think I might actually prefer the sound of the Eastman. But who knows how they sound in flesh.. :) people who have tried them I guess!

As for the radius fret-board, have you found it helpful or are you hoping it's going to be helpful?
Because I have to say personally, while I don't suffer from arthritis, as a beginner player I did not find it different on my AMM3. The setup of the ukulele and the choice of strings (particularly lower tension) make more of a difference.
Curious for the Singer, Curious and hoping that it is helpful..

On the topic of radius fretboard, it's purely a preference thing and may actually be less comfortable to play if you have absolutely no problems with a flat fretboard.

Speaking from my personal experience, I actually see radius fretboard as a negative feature because it doesn't feel as pleasant to play as flat.
I don't like it how the string actions are on a rounded surface than a simple flat (or slightly higher at the 4th) like on classical guitar.
It disrupts me a bit when finger picking and can't help but the 1st string action 'feeling higher' and the 4th string feeling slanted 'lower' due to the radius.

It makes sense on steel string guitars where you have a bit more tension and 6 string chords to deal with.
On an ukulele, it's a thumbs down from me (and I've owned, then sold off many with radiused fretboards).

I also don't see how it would be objectively better for arthritis than flat.
If you want fretting to be easier, then a lower setup coupled with lower tension strings would be the logical thing to do, not move to a radiused fretboard.

Last edited:
I have both flat and radiused fretboards and like and play them both. I have slightly arthritic hands and do like them for barre chords. I was able to try a flat and a radiused Blackbird Clara side by side at their factory and bought the radiused one.

The aNueNue radius is very minimal and when the Moon Birds were first introduced, no one even noticed it being radiused. Likely the same with the Singer.

But here is a thread with many more opinions on radiused versus flat:

On the topic of radius fretboard, it's purely a preference thing and may actually be less comfortable to play if you have absolutely no problems with a flat fretboard.

Speaking from my personal experience, I actually see radius fretboard as a negative feature because it doesn't feel as pleasant to play as flat.
I don't like it how the string actions are on a rounded surface than a simple flat (or slightly higher at the 4th) like on classical guitar.
It disrupts me a bit when finger picking and can't help but the 1st string action 'feeling higher' and the 4th string feeling slanted 'lower' due to the radius.

It makes sense on steel string guitars where you have a bit more tension and 6 string chords to deal with.
On an ukulele, it's a thumbs down from me (and I've owned, then sold off many with radiused fretboards).

I also don't see how it would be objectively better for arthritis than flat.
If you want fretting to be easier, then a lower setup coupled with lower tension strings would be the logical thing to do, not move to a radiused fretboard.
As an older "new" player I've found the radius fretboard makes an enormous improvement in my ability to comfortably shape barre chords. Good for small less bendy hands!

Each to their own, it is definitely a preference thing.
I don't find barre chords that difficult on ukulele because I also play guitar.
Thus a radius kinda gets in the way of playing fingerpicked passages cleanly. My fingers are just better at coordinating across strings being arranged atop a flat saddle and fretboard than a curved one.

I mean yeah, sure if I was handed a radiused fretboard ukulele I'm sure I could appreciate it. It just wouldn't be something I would have chosen for myself.

I havent played any of the ukes in question, but I definitely support the idea of not selling a uke you like before trying the new one.

On my AMM3 from aNueNue the very slight radius does not make as big a difference for playability as the 12“ radius on my Cocobolo and MyaMoe. It came with a very high action, so until I lovered it, playing was hard on my young not-athritis troubled hands.
Also the sound, while beautiful and impressive, was very distinct from a typical uke sound. I havent tried a Singer, but from sound samples online i suspect it to have the same "too big for a uke sound". Does that description sound weird? Anyway, if you like a more typical uke sound, you might want to keep another uke as well.

Thanks for all the advice!
Made me rethink and come to my senses….(-:

Top Bottom