Clawhammer style to A Tisket A Tasket

Great job, Dan! You can't go wrong with a Martin S-1. I have an S-0 (with the fretboard running a shorter span), and I love it.

Nice playing and singing! Sure, you may need to gain a little more confidence in your singing, but that will come-- just keep doing it, explore tons of your favorite songs, tinker with doing them in different keys, and gradually you'll settle into a "vocal range" that's right for you. And that's when the confidence level accelerates!

I think a great combination is to use that soprano uke, and then try to establish your vocal range in a lower register, where it's physically comfortable for your voice (unlike the old days where we sang everything WAY up there-- think Michael McDonald on the Doobie Brothers' "What A Fool Believes").

That way, the uke and your voice sort of "stay out of each other's way", and it makes for a pleasing and uncluttered sonic result. It is said that Nelson Riddle arranged much of Frank Sinatra's songs in that fashion-- lots of higher-register instruments doing the music, leaving room "down below" for Frank to do his thing.

Cool playing! What is the blob on the sound hole?

Great job, Dan! You can't go wrong with a Martin S-1. I have an S-0 (with the fretboard running a shorter span), and I love it.

Nice playing and singing! Sure, you may need to gain a little more confidence in your singing, but that will come-- just keep doing it, explore tons of your favorite songs, tinker with doing them in different keys, and gradually you'll settle into a "vocal range" that's right for you. And that's when the confidence level accelerates!

I think a great combination is to use that soprano uke, and then try to establish your vocal range in a lower register, where it's physically comfortable for your voice (unlike the old days where we sang everything WAY up there-- think Michael McDonald on the Doobie Brothers' "What A Fool Believes").

That way, the uke and your voice sort of "stay out of each other's way", and it makes for a pleasing and uncluttered sonic result. It is said that Nelson Riddle arranged much of Frank Sinatra's songs in that fashion-- lots of higher-register instruments doing the music, leaving room "down below" for Frank to do his thing.
Great tips!!! I think I need to play my tenor more and go down to lower keys.

Top Bottom