Brand New, Really Brand New

kowgiirl.up

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Another newbie and I mean "newbie"

I do not know how to play any instrument other than to make noise with a harmonica. I have decided that I would like to build my own Ukulele. I can't say why exactly other than they are small and look to be easy to maneuver and I am not getting any younger.

I do have some mechanical skills and those I do not have I can solicit help from my hubby (he thinks this is a little odd of me but is very supportive _with earmuffs).

So my whole point here is, I am looking for a kit. I will post a separate thread.

Thanks for having me.

my whole point here is, I am looking for a kit

Howdy, @kowgirl.up! Welcome to the UU forums! We've got plenty of folks here who started with zero experience (including me!), and quite a few of us have built their own ukes from kits. (Yowling Tom from @Oldscruggsfan is a notable legend, but there are bunches of 'em!)

Although I haven't built anything from a kit, I do have a supportive spouse who thinks this is all pretty strange, which of course it is! 🤣

Thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself! Look for kit advice incoming!

Cheers,
Tim

Welcome, @kowgiirl.up! You have a great opportunity because, with no musical background, you have no bad habits (sorry, @badhabits) that you picked up by first learning to play some other stringed instrument. (All my bad habits are from 40 years of five string banjo.)
Thanks for teeing me up, @TimWilson!
The guidance from @don_b is spot on, and I’ll start with a short response because otherwise I could write all night about this subject.
1- StewMac is an excellent source for uke kits.
2- Atlanta- based Uke Republic is a great source for already- built but unfinished ukes.
3- Before ordering a kit, try to borrow a soprano uke from a local lending library, etc. While you have it in loan, make lots of measurements & take photos that you can use as a reference when you receive your kit.
4- For guidance/ reference, watch UK-based Luthier Ken Timm’s excellent video on correct bridge position. (I’ll post a link to the UUF thread as soon as I locate it).
5- Ken (@Timbuck) also has another post with a scaled drawing of uke dimensions & I’ll also post that link ASAP.
6- If the cost of a StewMac kit gives you sticker shock, my kit was made by Kraftex (probably one of the dozens of interchangeable trade names for “Chinese”) and will pop up if you google “ukulele kit”. I was pleasantly surprised by the clearly written instructions that came with the kit, and my only gripe was that the curvy & pointy “plunging falcon” bridge footprint was a nightmare to get in the proper position.
Here is my finished kit uke and, just for fun, a sound sample to prove that it works without AA batteries.
1707270559636.jpeg

Last edited:
Bridge placement video:
Thread 'Video of bridge fitting'
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/video-of-bridge-fitting.143750/
Uke (Grellier-spec) dimensions
Thread 'Martin Concert Neck Plan'
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/martin-concert-neck-plan.122684/

This was not Ken’s most recent post with a set of uke dimensions but you’ll only need it if your kit’s instructions are not as clearly written as those for my kit were.

EDIT- As an alternative to a kit, HI based luthier Bradley Donaldson (@BuzzBD) hosts a multi- day uke building class at his Pacific- view shop for whuch the “diploma” is the high quality uke that he taught you to build. Though what I’ve described is a tad more expensive than a Big River DIY kit, I’m told that the ocean view and island hospitality make it worth every penny.
(Oh, and there is also the top- quality uke you end up with that YOU built per Brad’s expert guidance, and the lasting memories.)

Last edited:
Ohana also sells a ukulele kit. The instrument is mostly complete. Assembly and finish (paint, polish, whatever) still required. You can embellish it however you want. I considered buying one of them and didn’t, but I’m an Ohana fan, so they should be good quality for a beginner to tackle.

Good luck with your decision!

I was going to post a “which kit is better” question in the building thread but after searching (not one of my strong points) I found some great info.

I see some ( and I bet all) of you guys are pretty free with your knowledge and I appreciate that. You know, when you go into uncharted waters it can backfire so handholding is nice.

No loaners in my area as I live out in the sticks @Oldscruggsfan but all those links will be of more help than I understand at this point so thank you. If the Ukulele works out and I can actually play it then I may venture into the banjo. BTW, your Ukulele is beautiful and very artsy 👍

I do like the Stew Macs kit and the only decision now is which one. I am thinking either the Concert or Tenor. I will decide shortly so I can move forward instead of dragging my feet like I have been the last few weeks.

Thanks again for the help and feeling welcome :)

If I can offer a mere suggestion—and it’s tough to do this without introducing a little controversy— but I would suggest beginning with concert size, and the absolute only reason I suggest that is because it’s kind of the global “Goldilocks” size and I believe it is the top-selling uke size globally but I am prepared to learn I am incorrect on that.

If I can offer a mere suggestion—and it’s tough to do this without introducing a little controversy— but I would suggest beginning with concert size, and the absolute only reason I suggest that is because it’s kind of the global “Goldilocks” size and I believe it is the top-selling uke size globally but I am prepared to learn I am incorrect on that.
I won’t disagree but maybe this is the proper point to explain to the OP that “concert” is uke-speak for “soprano body with 14 frets instead of 12” :) :).
Personally, though lots of UUF threads have educated me on etymology, the term “concert” remains odd, counterintuitive and unnecessarily confusing as an interim between the understandable terms, sopranino, soprano, tenor, baritone and bass.

I won’t disagree but maybe this is the proper point to explain to the OP that “concert” is uke-speak for “soprano body with 14 frets instead of 12” :) :).
Personally, though lots of UUF threads have educated me on etymology, the term “concert” remains odd, counterintuitive and unnecessarily confusing as an interim between the understandable terms, sopranino, soprano, tenor, baritone and bass.
If I’m not mistaken, Beansprout‘s Aaron Keim calls his concert-scale ukulues (which have larger bodies than sopranos) “altos,” which maintains the symmetry.

Welcome to UU, kowgiirl.up!
I've spotted some questions about your first build already, so I'm following the progress. I hope you enjoy the process. Mistakes are always learning opportunities. Read through a few other amateur build threads if you can spare the time. You'll likely find it helps you avoid certain issues yourself...

Hi kowgirl.up, welcome to the UU Forum. Wow! Deciding to build your first ukulele is quite a step. Go for it.

If you run into snags, hopefully people who have built or currently build ukuleles will be able to offer solutions.

Regardless, best of luck with your project and I hope it turns out great. Keep us posted on your progress.

Top Bottom