Bluegrass near State College PA, around 1976...

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
So, just wondering if anyone here was around State College, PA around 1976, into Bluegrass-ish music, and remembers a group called The Buffalo Chipkickers?

I remember when they came by Salem College, and they were very good. I've got their album "Cleaning Up Out Act" somewhere, and I used to know a couple of their songs.

The one I'm really looking for is "Cleaning Up My Act"; I can't find the lyrics on any of my computers anymore, and the words just slip away...

What I remember is:

You told me yesterday, I’d have to change my ways​
[dah da dah-da dadah, da da dah-da da da- dah]
Start bathing lots more frequently, stop stinking so indecently​
Watch my Ps and Qs, mind my manners and behave​
(chorus)
And now I’m cleaning up my act for you​
Ironed up my double knits and polished up my shoes​
I’m cleanin’ up cause I love you.​
I began to scrape my face with Trac-II Perfect grace,​
[dah da dah-da dadah, da dah-da da da- dah]
I jumped into the tub, just to give myself a scrub,​
Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Soap right down to the nub.​
(chorus)
I brushed my teeth with crest, but as on the tube I pressed​
[dah da dah-da dadah da dah], and nearly made a mess​
[dah da dah-da dee dah, da dah-da da da- dah]
dah da dah-da dee dah] , I’m dirty, but unhurt.​
Does any of this sound even vaguely familiar to anyone else?​
Thanks!​
-Kurt​

So, just wondering if anyone here was around State College, PA around 1976, into Bluegrass-ish music, and remembers a group called The Buffalo Chipkickers?

I remember when they came by Salem College, and they were very good. I've got their album "Cleaning Up Out Act" somewhere, and I used to know a couple of their songs.

The one I'm really looking for is "Cleaning Up My Act"; I can't find the lyrics on any of my computers anymore, and the words just slip away...

What I remember is:

You told me yesterday, I’d have to change my ways​
[dah da dah-da dadah, da da dah-da da da- dah]
Start bathing lots more frequently, stop stinking so indecently​
Watch my Ps and Qs, mind my manners and behave​
(chorus)
And now I’m cleaning up my act for you​
Ironed up my double knits and polished up my shoes​
I’m cleanin’ up cause I love you.​
I began to scrape my face with Trac-II Perfect grace,​
[dah da dah-da dadah, da dah-da da da- dah]
I jumped into the tub, just to give myself a scrub,​
Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Soap right down to the nub.​
(chorus)
I brushed my teeth with crest, but as on the tube I pressed​
[dah da dah-da dadah da dah], and nearly made a mess​
[dah da dah-da dee dah, da dah-da da da- dah]
dah da dah-da dee dah] , I’m dirty, but unhurt.​
Does any of this sound even vaguely familiar to anyone else?​
Thanks!​
-Kurt​

My late wife Lee Ann Lenker was the Banjo player for the Buffalo Chipkickers out of State College. I have one the albums they did but finding it is another thing. She passed away in 2008. I miss her every day. I have to say this is the last place I thought they would ever come up. If I find it I'll let you know. Thanks for the memories. Cal Baber

Buffalo Chipkickers was a California band. Lead singers were Wayne Brandon and Tanya Rose (also on YouTube with the Roy Acuff tribute band).

YouTube doesn’t seem to have ´Cleaning Up our Act’. San Diego channel @musiclover1948 has posted a bunch of the group’s other songs. Some are found by searching ‘Wayne Brandon’, and others by searching ‘Tanya Rose’.

If your copy of their album is unfindable you can get a copy from sellers such as:

Are these the same folks?

Yeah, no... Not the Same folks.

The lineup of the Buffalo Chipkickers I'm referring to was:Bob Doyle-guitar/vocal,Lee Lenker-banjo/vocal, Matthew Guntharp-fiddle/mandolin/vocals, and Hugh Johnson-upright bass/vocals.

Lee unfortunately fell victim to cancer, and passed away in 2008. I can't account for the others.

My late wife Lee Ann Lenker was the Banjo player for the Buffalo Chipkickers out of State College. I have one the albums they did but finding it is another thing. She passed away in 2008. I miss her every day. I have to say this is the last place I thought they would ever come up. If I find it I'll let you know. Thanks for the memories. Cal Baber
Oh, my! I responded to casualmusic before I saw your post!

I met the band in 1976 in Salem, WV where I went to college - I loved them (and of course, developed a crush on Lee Ann immediately - who wouldn't?). I remember trying to track down the members a few years back, and saw that Lee Ann had passed. I do recall she had become a music professor with Banjo as her specialty, but my brain is a little fizzy right now.

Thank you for the response, and just know that for me, even just meeting Lee Ann in passing created a lasting memory.

-Kurt​

Oh, my! I responded to casualmusic before I saw your post!

I met the band in 1976 in Salem, WV where I went to college - I loved them (and of course, developed a crush on Lee Ann immediately - who wouldn't?). I remember trying to track down the members a few years back, and saw that Lee Ann had passed. I do recall she had become a music professor with Banjo as her specialty, but my brain is a little fizzy right now.

Thank you for the response, and just know that for me, even just meeting Lee Ann in passing created a lasting memory.

-Kurt​
We met in late 90's she was living in the Shenandoah Valley and we had a Band called Cross Creek and needed a Banjo player. We were stunned when she came to try out. Needless to say she had the job. Undoubtedly one of the best Banjo players I've heard. She tought Banjo,art and ended up teaching computer Science in the Middle School here in the Valley. She really left a lasting impression on everyone. Thanks again.

We met in late 90's she was living in the Shenandoah Valley and we had a Band called Cross Creek and needed a Banjo player. We were stunned when she came to try out. Needless to say she had the job. Undoubtedly one of the best Banjo players I've heard. She tought Banjo,art and ended up teaching computer Science in the Middle School here in the Valley. She really left a lasting impression on everyone. Thanks again.

Correction early 90's. Sorry this really caught me off guard but in a really good way.

Top Bottom