Best live looping ukulele artists?

Good live looping is nice, as long as it doesn't last too long. The Jr. High band director in me keeps thinking of a round for some reason...if the same loop goes on for too long.

One does not have to make a big production out of it. If you are doing a solo act, you can simply record the chords when you are singing the chorus and play lead over it.

Victoria Vox makes nice use of a looper in her live shows.

Here's one where she's using the looper on her voice to add in harmony at the chorus.

I'm sort of one of the haters because it's so *play*.......*wait for it to go around while bobbing your head*.... *overdub*.....[repeat], but I appreciate looping when done well. Mike plays 'ukulele, although this is a guitar piece. Hope he does a uke version someday! Complete magic.

Thank you for taking up my challenge, you :rock:: I now know that there are some examples of looping that irritate me, others that I admire, and a select but amazing few that I don't just enjoy - I love them! I admired and enjoyed most of those you've posted in this thread, but it was the Ed Sheeran :bowdown: and the Kalei Gamiao :worship: recordings which blew me away. Ed Sheeran's lyrics and vocal performance, and Kalei Gamiao's playing are exciting enough on their own, but I think the looping adds a whole other dimension to those tracks. I'm going to go listen to them again now - in fact I might just put them on a loop! :cheers:

When Imsaw this thread, I was going to suggest Kalei, and link to that Coldplay track. Glad others already know about him. Thanks for the heads up on Ed Sheeran, he's new to me, but awesome.

Here's another non-uke looper, but I think he's just as seamless as Sheeran, and really incredible: Trace Bundy

Ed Sheeran has always really impressed me. Ive listened to that live recording multiple times before and it always blew me away. Guys only 23 years old and looking up his achievements is pretty astounding, he does mostly pop music you hear on the top one hundred stations but theres some serious talent there. Ive been getting into the Kalei lately too tho :D

Zanuck shows how it can be a tool for practice and enjoyment, beyond live performance.

And live, your musical ability and overall concept can be challenged, so results can vary. But it's a fun thing to try anyway.

Zanuck shows how it can be a tool for practice and enjoyment, beyond live performance.

Thank you, I saw this film on the loop station/pedal advice thread & I often use a metronome, so I think I'm going to give looping a go when I'm practising too.

Brittni has this down!

I couldn't agree more! She is actually the first ukelele artist I ever saw using a looper.

To be honest, I can't really say I'm a huge fan of the whole live-looping thing. But, when it's done well, it can be really good. I really like Brittni, and there is young guy (can't remember the name for the life of me) that has a few videos on the Hawaii Music Supply youtube page that I like too.

Thanks for posting. I had never seen this Ed Sheeran video. How he can rap/sing a fast song, work the looping stuff and play a musically complicated song is beyond amazing.

When Imsaw this thread, I was going to suggest Kalei, and link to that Coldplay track. Glad others already know about him. Thanks for the heads up on Ed Sheeran, he's new to me, but awesome.

Here's another non-uke looper, but I think he's just as seamless as Sheeran, and really incredible: Trace Bundy

The Trace Bundy performance is entertaining - but he takes a full two minutes to get his loop laid down. If he does that for more than a song or two in the set, it would be painful for me to listen to.

Ed Sheeran gets all of his housekeeping done in 30 seconds. Additionally, he starts and stops the loop throughout the tune and avoids monotony. (His melody is a bit monotonous, but his use of the looper is damn impressive.)

I often use a metronome, so I think I'm going to give looping a go when I'm practising too.

Sorry to sidetrack the post but what a great idea. Instead of tick, tick, tick, you lay down a bass or simple rhythm to keep time to.

The Trace Bundy performance is entertaining - but he takes a full two minutes to get his loop laid down. If he does that for more than a song or two in the set, it would be painful for me to listen to.

I've only seen individual videos of his, so a set's worth is hard to measure, I guess. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, but the original intro to that particular song, (which he uses for the loop) incorporates all of those phrases, so it's actually, I think, a pretty great arrangement, if slightly longer than the original in order to actually get all of them introduced.

That said, I agree that Sheeran is pretty amazing.

Top Bottom