All Enya HPL models DISCONTINUED

As a more general comment I’ve always struggled to see the special value of plastic and HPL Ukes. Sure, they’re pretty much indestructible but they’ll also (eventually) end up as trash that is hard to reprocess and still with us in a couple of centuries time. If someone wants a durable instrument then there are plenty of second hand laminate ones about that can be purchased for very little, some are in really nice condition too.

Hear, hear! Hopefully the cost of oil-based stuff production will jack the price up to the point where people start questioning whether they bother. Plastic ukes seem to be things one thinks through rationally and methodically - how they will improve a holiday or adventure trip through lack of worry/associated problems arising. My little Tom Pocket wooden thing has been going for 15 years and if it's going to get wet, I just shove it in a small canoe bag. It's a bit like reading in the bath; do you REALLY want to play a ukulele when on a lilo on a lake? We'll look back on the time we all started wearing plastic crocs and playing plastic instruments, before our phthalate traces got so high as to stop us producing more of the human race...:rolleyes:

A bit of a drift, but this is where I've landed... for my traveling I've found that an indestructible uke isn't necessary. And to my ear even cheap laminates (decent ones like low end kala, $10-15 on goodwill 😄) sound better than any plastic uke, even outdoor (and their glue does fail eventually, find my pic of the separated top). Cheap used laminate ukes may need work (action lowered, fret ends smoothed, strings changed), but that's part of the fun, along with being able to give them away to whoever you meet that might want to learn to play.

BTW, the X1M HPL/Richlite concert kit is still on Amazon and with the 30% off coupon comes to abt $50. Not bad. That one has a removable neck assembly (unscrew the bolt/strap pin and it slides out) with a slightly radiused fretboard.

Last edited:
As a more general comment I’ve always struggled to see the special value of plastic and HPL Ukes. Sure, they’re pretty much indestructible but they’ll also (eventually) end up as trash that is hard to reprocess and still with us in a couple of centuries time. If someone wants a durable instrument then there are plenty of second hand laminate ones about that can be purchased for very little, some are in really nice condition too.

So you object to something made of highly compressed paper and resin, but chopping down more trees is all good.

Got it.

trash that is hard to reprocess and still with us in a couple of centuries time.

, before our phthalate traces got so high as to stop us producing more of the human race...:rolleyes:
Just sayin'.

I find some plastic ukes appealing and seriously considered buying a Klos until I thought about the ubiquitous and virtually permanent nature of plastics.

Right. Because it is so much better to cut down increasingly rare tree species such as Koa and Mahogany.

Suggesting using plywood laminates - there is formaldehyde in plywoods. Also still requires cutting down trees.

The number of Ukes made from HPL is miniscule compared to the amount of the stuff that you will find in nearly every kitchen in the country. How many of you guys have HPL (aka Formica) countertops? Or if not, its something like granite or marble or some other thing sourced somewhere far away and trucked to your location that many many people cannot afford. Oh yeah - and the sealants they use on those expensive stone countertops - the vast majority contain significant PFAS. You know. The "forever" chemical.

A lot of the stuff that passes for "furniture" these days is made of OSB or other types of "manufactured wood" products that are made of, you got it, wood pulp and resins. Then they slap some HPL over it. Again - ukes make up a miniscule percentage of these uses.

Do you buy milk? Packaged in millions and millions of plastic cartons. Do you ever buy yogurt? Also mostly packaged in plastic. How about - well - almost everything you buy in the grocery? Plastic containers have replaced most glass and some tin cans. Your meat is wrapped in plastic. The veggies go into plastic bags. Unless you are trucking your own bags - which, BTW, I DO - the vast majority of bags are plastic, and paper isn't much better because - you know - cutting down those trees again. And guess what, the majority of those pack-your-own-grocery bags also contain plastics.

I totally agree that there needs to be less plastic in the environment, but ukuleles are not the prime suspect here. If you REALLY want to be serious about getting plastic out of our environment, you would be agitating seriously hard to get it out of the grocery store or at least minimized because THAT is the main source of plastic pollution. Rather than just indulging a snobbish "distaste" for so-called "plastic" instruments where you use "plastic" as a derogatory term with no basis in reality.

After my upcoming move I will be buying a Carbon Fiber cello - the same type owned by YoYo Ma. Most cellists also deride these as "plastic" instruments, yet in a blind sound test, professional cellists overwhelmingly selected the carbon fiber cello as having the better tone - over a Stradivarius. This was the exact opposite of sound tests where they could see which cello was being played.

Snob appeal is not in my bailiwick. You don't have to like my choices of instruments, but to try to blame the minority of us who own instruments made of something other than an expensive, hard to find, hard to replace in the environment wood for all of the plastic pollution in the world is more than a little hypocritical.

Last edited:
Right. Because it is so much better to cut down increasingly rare tree species such as Koa and Mahogany.

Suggesting using plywood laminates - there is formaldehyde in plywoods. Also still requires cutting down trees.

The number of Ukes made from HPL is miniscule compared to the amount of the stuff that you will find in nearly every kitchen in the country. How many of you guys have HPL (aka Formica) countertops? Or if not, its something like granite or marble or some other thing sourced somewhere far away and trucked to your location that many many people cannot afford. Oh yeah - and the sealants they use on those expensive stone countertops - the vast majority contain significant PFAS. You know. The "forever" chemical.

A lot of the stuff that passes for "furniture" these days is made of OSB or other types of "manufactured wood" products that are made of, you got it, wood pulp and resins. Then they slap some HPL over it. Again - ukes make up a miniscule percentage of these uses.

Do you buy milk? Packaged in millions and millions of plastic cartons. Do you ever buy yogurt? Also mostly packaged in plastic. How about - well - almost everything you buy in the grocery? Plastic containers have replaced most glass and some tin cans. Your meat is wrapped in plastic. The veggies go into plastic bags. Unless you are trucking your own bags - which, BTW, I DO - the vast majority of bags are plastic, and paper isn't much better because - you know - cutting down those trees again. And guess what, the majority of those pack-your-own-grocery bags also contain plastics.

I totally agree that there needs to be less plastic in the environment, but ukuleles are not the prime suspect here. If you REALLY want to be serious about getting plastic out of our environment, you would be agitating seriously hard to get it out of the grocery store or at least minimized because THAT is the main source of plastic pollution. Rather than just indulging a snobbish "distaste" for so-called "plastic" instruments where you use "plastic" as a derogatory term with no basis in reality.

After my upcoming move I will be buying a Carbon Fiber cello - the same type owned by YoYo Ma. Most cellists also deride these as "plastic" instruments, yet in a blind sound test, professional cellists overwhelmingly selected the carbon fiber cello as having the better tone - over a Stradivarius. This was the exact opposite of sound tests where they could see which cello was being played.

Snob appeal is not in my bailiwick. You don't have to like my choices of instruments, but to try to blame the minority of us who own instruments made of something other than an expensive, hard to find, hard to replace in the environment wood for all of the plastic pollution in the world is more than a little hypocritical.
You do you. You want to argue to win a point of view that has different perspectives. I wouldn't call any UU member "snobbish" because they prefer wood instruments. We here at UU are not "snobs". We're a bunch of ukulele enthusiasts who possess ukes from plastic to rare reclaimed luthier finished woods.

We aren't "snobbish". We are inclusive, generous and good people that like everyone on the planet, have differences of opinion. I'm sorry you feel offended by the variety of opinions and experiences we share in this forum.

Right. Because multiple postings from people going on about pollutants and the poor sound of "plastic" instruments is really really very inclusive.

So you object to something made of highly compressed paper and resin, but chopping down more trees is all good.

Got it.
I really do wonder what you’ve got - or haven’t got - and none of the suggestions that come to mind give me a favourable impression of you - which I find sad. We all learn from interesting discussions but that does require a degree of comprehension and a willingness to understand the perspectives of others.

“Bye, Felicia“; we learn something new every day and whilst most folk here are exceedingly tolerant of others I can see why such a phrase would be used. I find that the most useful conversations are neither angry or confrontational …

Last edited:
Top Bottom