Advise for buying Flea ukulele

ppalma00

Reaction score
While looking for a soprano Flea from some European Union seller (all them plastic fretboard and around 300€ + shippping) I came across a concert Flea with wooden fretboard at the same price and also in Europe. Although new, it must be some leftover product from an old batch because its serial number is 25700, which according to some serial number given in this forum by users, I estimate it was manufactured in 2015-2016... or so...

I like the sound of both but soprano seems to be the king of the party with the Flea's.

My doubt, do you see better to buy a recent manufactured item despite of going to plastic fretboard? I am concerned with the glue used for assembling and the pass of time affecting possible to it, in this case, about 6-7 years stored without use.

Or going for the soprano and the plastic fretboard as a safe bid?

What do you think?

thanks for your help!

You seem to be fretting (pardon the pun) about this a lot. :)You can't lose either way.

I have a concert Fluke with a wood fretboard that was built probably in 2009 or so, because the label is from the original MFC location in New Hartford, CT. Phyllis Webb said they had a lot of leftover stickers after they moved to Massachusetts. No problems with the glue at all.

You seem to be fretting (pardon the pun) about this a lot. :)You can't lose either way.

I have a concert Fluke with a wood fretboard that was built probably in 2009 or so, because the label is from the original MFC location in New Hartford, CT. Phyllis Webb said they had a lot of leftover stickers after they moved to Massachusetts. No problems with the glue at all.
thanks! :) hard to decide always without experience and remotely buying. I appreciate a lot your help.

I'd surely go with the wooden board concert Flea , so much nicer than the standard plastic board, and much harder to find, new or used. Although it will have the older bridge design, the models with the wooden fretboad usually have a removeable saddle, unlike the older standard models, whose saddles can't be removed/adjusted (not that you'd need to). The soprano and concert Fleas have the exact same body size and sound IMO, but the concert scale provides a bit more room for fingering, which I prefer. Good kuck with your decision.

I'd surely go with the wooden board concert Flea , so much nicer than the standard plastic board, and much harder to find, new or used. Although it will have the older bridge design, the models with the wooden fretboad usually have a removeable saddle, unlike the older standard models, whose saddles can't be removed/adjusted (not that you'd need to). The soprano and concert Fleas have the exact same body size and sound IMO, but the concert scale provides a bit more room for fingering, which I prefer. Good kuck with your decision.
thanks for replying. This is the photo. Old bridge design?

1693322744633.png
1693322888441.png

I would agree with others. A basic flea is a really nice instrument, but the wooden fretboard makes it even nicer. They are very well made and I would doubt you would have any issues

Well, my 7 years old Fluke has a wooden fret board, and that is still in fine condition. I would definitely go for the wooden fret board.

My Flea has a plastic fretboard, my Firefly, a walnut one. Both are sopranos, built in 2011-2012. Never had a single issue regarding quality, or durability with either. Be not afraid, either way, you won't go wrong.

thanks for replying. This is the photo. Old bridge design?

View attachment 157404
View attachment 157405

Yes, that's the original shaped bridge they used on wooden board Fleas/Flukes: pretty sure it is wood, but has the removeable saddle. The old standard bridge on plastic board models was the same shape, but made from a single piece of molded plastic, with a fixed, non-removeable bridge. All new Fleas/Flukes have the newly designed bridge with removable saddle, as in attached pic.

Attachments

• 20230316_152501.jpg
    20230316_152501.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 3
Yes, that's the original shaped bridge they used on wooden board Fleas/Flukes: pretty sure it is wood, but has the removeable saddle. The old standard bridge on plastic board models was the same shape, but made from a single piece of molded plastic, with a fixed, non-removeable bridge. All new Fleas/Flukes have the newly designed bridge with removable saddle, as in attached pic.
Thanks again. Your photo is from the much more solid Clip Lock-brug type bridge they mount which, as reported by Magic Fluke, they are free of the old problems with the bridge coming unglued.

I have to trust to the old standard bridge as the problems were commonly seen more in the one-piece bridges...

Top Bottom