Add a Tailpiece?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I have a new uke, a Kala JTE archtop with "F" holes. I was thinking about adding a tailpiece - the thing the strings attach to on a banjo or a banjo uke. If I did that, I would remove the bridge and add a floating bridge. That would require "repairing" the area where the bridge has been scrapped off. Not a big deal. I could paint that area white to match the V above it. While I'm at it, I think I'll paint the inside visible through the sound holes blue to match the top.

Any input on why this might be a terrible idea? 😋

01.jpg

You wouldn’t have to replace the bridge. I think matching the existing finish would be tough, and it may pull off part of the top laminate…
Otherwise I think it would look great!

Aloha Jerry, the biggest problem I see with this is going to be the string geometry. Most archtop floating bridges are twice as high as flat top and use the extra downward pressure to keep the bridge in place. And the main vibrational mode is up and down as opposed to a rocking action on a flat top bridge. Because your top and back are pressed into shape and not graduated in thickness the combination of a low saddle height on a floating bridge is not likely to work particularly well. The only way to have a higher bridge will be to do a neck reset and I would not recommend going there.
Brad

How about sell it and buy one with a tail piece already? I have a Kala tenor with F holes with floating bridge and tail piece. I haven’t played it for ages, which is a shame as it’s a lovely uke. I’ll try and find a piccy….

Mine’s like the one in the pic. You could get one of these and paint it? I have to say I have had an issue with the tailpiece cutting into the A string and making it break. I haven’t found a solution to that yet, which is a shame as it’s a lovely uke.

Sorry for posting double images. Been trying to edit to just one pic but not successfully. Anyway. The bottom pics show the tailpiece on my Kala. I played it constantly until I needed to change strings, then, as I said, I’ve had an issue where a new A string just breaks under tension. I’ll work something out.

I have a charango that blew up and because of the neck angle, after gluing it back together, my only choice is to install a tailpiece and floating bridge to replace the old bridge so I am interested to see what you do here.

I have no opinions on the acoustic soundness of your idea but your uke looks like a jazz guitar that needs a tailpiece to make things right in the universe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom