Achtung! Moon Bird Tenor Players

Cliff E

Reaction score
As I'm just getting back to this wonderful instrument, I'm finding my Moon Bird is quite bright. For all of its lovely responsiveness and projection, it's too bright for my tastes.

Have any of you experienced this (or is it just me?) and how have you gone about ameliorating it? Which strings have you found that warm it up without making it sound muddy or sacrificing projection? Uke Logic strings have helped in this regard - especially in the area of tension, but, so it seems, there's a way to go to get it to where I would like to have it in terms of tone.

Thanks for your kind attention to this.

My Moonbird is fairly new to me and I’ve been so enamored with its sound that I haven’t thought much about changing strings. I believe it has the aNueNue Black Water strings but I’m not sure since it was previously owned.
It is bright, but the clarity of notes and the resonance is so charming that I hesitate to change anything. I’m also fortunate to own several dark sounding warm ukuleles that I can pickup when I want that sound so, again, less motivation to change anything.
I assume that yours is strung high G. You might just try putting a low G string on. The should warm it up a bit.

I find this really interesting. My Moonbird soprano is so mellow. My Hanson lutulele is very bright. Both have the same string set (Aquila Reds), both have low G. I wonder what the soprano vs tenor are like side by each!

I find all the moon birds tenor tend to lean towards the bright side whichever woods they use. Even the Singer line is all bright sounding to me. My guess is nylon strings would make them most mellow. Get a set of guitar strings and use the DGBE for your GCEA.

Thank you all for your kind and helpful advice! I’m always appreciative of the experience garnered from others and offered here with such alacrity and patience!

I have a Singer uke. When I bought it I had worth clears put on (my string of choice in most cases). That was way too bright. I recently switched to worth brown hard strings. That made a big difference. It darkened the sound enough to make a difference and the hard tension helped with projection.

I don’t have a Moonbird, but the Savarez 540Rs toned down the brightness on a PO Cedar that I was struggling with. Good luck!

I sent D'Addario a similar query and immediately, a gentleman named George Santos responded and told me he'd send me a set to try out (Nyltech Low G) for free. Needless to say, I was impressed.

Two days later he wrote again and said he had been thinking about my dilemma and thought he ought to add another two sets to try out (Nyltech G and Pro-Arte). They arrived today - less than a week since my first correspondence. Hat tip to George and D'Addario!

I have a Singer uke. When I bought it I had worth clears put on (my string of choice in most cases). That was way too bright. I recently switched to worth brown hard strings. That made a big difference. It darkened the sound enough to make a difference and the hard tension helped with projection.
Much appreciated!

I find all the moon birds tenor tend to lean towards the bright side whichever woods they use. Even the Singer line is all bright sounding to me. My guess is nylon strings would make them most mellow. Get a set of guitar strings and use the DGBE for your GCEA.
That’s something I never would have considered. Thank you.

Thank you!

Top Bottom