A#maj7 instead of A#

It depends on the melody line. You'll know when you try to sing or play (the melody line) against it.

Last edited:
It depends on the context of the song. It also depends on what key you are playing in. If you're playing in D# (god knows why), then an A#7 would be the proper chord. If for some crazy reason you are playing in E# then A#maj 7 would be the proper chord to play. How does it sound to you? If it sounds good, then keep doing it.
In other news. That chord is called B flat 99% of the time.

I think it is more common to call this Bb as it is the IV in the key of F. If you want to avoid the full bar then the best substitution is a Bb6 (0211) also known as gm7 which can easily be played with partial bar or three fingers. Also really nice to slide this up into a C.

How’s it sound to you?

Sounds good it is good.

That said, while it can be tricky figuring out the righ position for Your finger—humans insist on all having slightly different finger shapes—once you learn how to play bar chords reliably, no chord will ever be difficult ever again.

E? 4447, or “C shape fourth fret””
Ab? F-shape at the third fret
And then you notice stuff like, “Huh . . F and G are really the same shape…”

Start with Bm7 (2222) and the fretboard is yours

I think it is more common to call this Bb as it is the IV in the key of F. If you want to avoid the full bar then the best substitution is a Bb6 (0211) also known as gm7 which can easily be played with partial bar or three fingers. Also really nice to slide this up into a C.
It all depends on what side of the circle of fifths you inhabit. I compose in E so I always think of it as A#. From E, you need to traverse thru B and F# to reach the land of Db in which you will see a Bb.

If it sounds good then play it. If you are substituting because of the difficulty of the partial bar cord I suggest you keep trying. That cord shape is movable and thus is flexible, able to make many chords as you move up the neck.

If it sounds good then play it. If you are substituting because of the difficulty of the partial bar cord I suggest you keep trying. That cord shape is movable and thus is flexible, able to make many chords as you move up the neck.
Partial bar?

Nah . . Just use a full bar and play the other strings over the bar. So long as the other notes are further down the fretboard, there’s no point in making it harder to do.

I even bar some things that, strictly speaking, don’t Need a bar just because the overall finger position is more comfortable.

Now partial bar D is worth learning . . . Especially with your 3 finger so you can play “conventional“ E

As for maj7 chords I see them in songs walking down from the major to maj7 to dominant 7 and then to the IV or a minor chord. Good examples of this are Tennessee Waltz or Hokulea. For Bbmaj7 a way to play this sequence would be 3211 then 2211 (the maj7) then 2122 and then resolve into Eb 0331.

Last edited:
The 2 chords have different fundamental sounds. One is major, the other is dominant.(sorry, that's wrong. It's a major 7, not dominant 7)
Still, If you want easier fingering., just play the triad, and dampen the top string.

Top Bottom