New Uke Day (NUD) Koa Ko'olau Concert from Kaneohe to Osaka

Agree with this. I'm actually shocked you haven't also started getting pedals for your U-bass. 👀
well, it seems like i've developed a bit of a rep! 😇 aaaand it also seems like I'm surrounded by a buncha pushers!! 😂 Pedals are my next dangerous rabbit hole and I did start a bit, between travels... but mainly for my ukes with pickups. I ended up returning them (thanks, Amazon!), since I knew I'd be away and didn't have the time to really start the exploration.
  • I started with a Boss RC-500 looper, which I'm positive is beyond my needs and abilities.
  • I got this little multi-effects pedal which I like, so far. It cuts feedback pretty well, I can plug in headphones (which I can't to my amp - Fishman Loudbox Mini), and it's small and rechargeable.
  • I tried this Zoom G1X Four which did some cool things, but I just didn't have enough time with it before hitting the road.
  • Haven't tried anything with my bass yet!!
It's a whole 'nother exploration and that pedals thread has tons of info... but I've also been concentrating on just getting better at the uke before putting effort into that tech aspect of it. That was the main reason for the looper... so I can lay down a little rhythm for myself and start improving my soloing skeezles.

Great choice with the RC-500. Boss loopers are the best. Everyone really could benefit from having one.

It really does force you to be better at being more accurate at rhythm and absolutely helps you develop improvising on top. That and it just makes playing so much more fun!

I hope you're enjoying the heck out of that.

Edit - I'm pretty sure you can record full songs with it...I did when I had mine

The newer Ko'olau concert had that punchy volume that can say "HEY!! THIS GUYS JUST MESSED UP!!!" Don't get me wrong.. all ukes definitely do the same, but some are just a little more forgiving about it. This one's more like "awwww.. you messed up a little there, huh? It's OK.. just keep playing and we'll make it alright"
Hah! I love this description!! And know exactly what you mean!

. . . Pedals are my next dangerous rabbit hole . . . It's a whole 'nother exploration and that pedals thread has tons of info... but I've also been concentrating on just getting better at the uke before putting effort into that tech aspect of it. That was the main reason for the looper... so I can lay down a little rhythm for myself and start improving my soloing skeezles.
A looper is a good call. The Loudbox Mini provides some basic toneshaping functions on its own.

Tell me about it! I worry that the red groove in my right forearm is going to become permanent. That’s fodder for another thread: why do so many luthiers refuse to put an arm bevel on a concert? I know it takes up a smidgen of the interior real estate, but the discomfort is very real.
Donna LoPrinzi had never built a comfort edge into an ukulele. I talked her into it, mine was her first one with it. It's a challenging process....the Cocobolo I have is the only one with a comfort edge.

Congrats on the new concert scale! Is that maple on the top? Does it have a radiused fretboard?

If you have the means and the time, I'd say it's definitely worth the trip. Even without the allure of ukes, Japan has been on our "go back" list and atop our travel list anytime we think of going somewhere. We're just getting started and having blast.
I’m also a bonsai enthusiast, and would love to see the famous gardens and incredible bonsai collections in Japan. Not to mention the ukuleles!

I’m also a bonsai enthusiast, and would love to see the famous gardens and incredible bonsai collections in Japan. Not to mention the ukuleles!
Ack!! How have I NOT thought of that?! I love bonsai as well and have noticed so many trees here, just wandering around. Even the trees in the parks and streets are very well maintained!.. not to mention the temples and shrines. I'm gonna hafta look up some actual bonsai to go see!!

Here's my favorite tree in the entire world. It's in the front yard of my family's home in WA and I've been working on it for over 10yrs now. It's not a proper bonsai, but it sure is a nice specimen of a Japanese Maple. I'll have to share some pics of it leafed out, once I get back home.

Ack!! How have I NOT thought of that?! I love bonsai as well and have noticed so many trees here, just wandering around. Even the trees in the parks and streets are very well maintained!.. not to mention the temples and shrines. I'm gonna hafta look up some actual bonsai to go see!!

Here's my favorite tree in the entire world. It's in the front yard of my family's home in WA and I've been working on it for over 10yrs now. It's not a proper bonsai, but it sure is a nice specimen of a Japanese Maple. I'll have to share some pics of it leafed out, once I get back home.

Beautiful tree—great bones, nice structure. Some people let them become bushes, but they’re much happier with more air and light on their interiors. Nice job of pruning.

Beautiful tree—great bones, nice structure. Some people let them become bushes, but they’re much happier with more air and light on their interiors. Nice job of pruning.
Thanks! Before 10yrs ago, it was definitely a bush, until I started to get into bonsai. It was huge overgrown bush that used to swallow our basketball, when we were growing up. I hated digging under it to get the ball, and it usually came back wet and dirty. Once I got into bonsai, I realized how beautiful it is and how neglected it had been. Now I stare at it every time I pull into the driveway and walk up the stairs. While on our trip, I asked my sister to send me a picture of it, coz we left before the buds started to leaf in.

This tree actually started my love for Japanese maples and I've been learning to prune from an arborist who has a business that focuses on them. https://www.japanesemaplepruning.com/ I'm thinking I can make it a side hustle someday.

I got into bonsai back in the mid 2010's, pruning and wiring raw stock from nurseries... but I wasn't really able to make it stick. (Longer story). I still appreciate them and frequent the Pacific Bonsai Museum with my dad. It's a fun lil father/son bonding activity of ours.

Congrats on the new concert scale! Is that maple on the top? Does it have a radiused fretboard?
It's koa! Super blonde, right?! I think I gravitate towards blonde koa... my Antar soprano is a similar hue. I wonder if it affects sound?!?

NBD! (New bag day). I just got this the other day... I also have a matching bucket hat, but I don't think I have the style to wear em together... at least not with my wife around 😅. Aside from the unique pattern, I love the functionality. It has a button close, two sets of straps for shoulder or hand carry, and multiple inside pockets for keeping things a bit more organized. Glad I've passed on a handful of other reusable bags on this trip... this one is great!! Also, I joking around with my wife yesterday, pretending to bring the Ko'olau with me on the town, and it actually fits pretty decently! I'm sure a soprano would fit with no problem.

1000036153.jpg

It's koa! Super blonde, right?! I think I gravitate towards blonde koa... my Antar soprano is a similar hue. I wonder if it affects sound?!?

NBD! (New bag day). I just got this the other day... I also have a matching bucket hat, but I don't think I have the style to wear em together... at least not with my wife around 😅. Aside from the unique pattern, I love the functionality. It has a button close, two sets of straps for shoulder or hand carry, and multiple inside pockets for keeping things a bit more organized. Glad I've passed on a handful of other reusable bags on this trip... this one is great!!

View attachment 171649
Oooh that looks like it'd be a great project bag (knitting, crochet, sewing...)!

I can explain. *Faces the choir to start preaching

I've recently fallen pretty hard for Ko'olau, acquiring two tenors since December. Serious keepers and my "house-on-fire ukes" for sure. Well, interest bounced around some and @Patty was chatting with me about Ko'olau concerts and it planted a seed in my head and got me looking (this forum is a dangerous place for recovering uke'aholics, if you haven't found that out already). It turns out that Ko'olau concerts aren't too easy to find and one shop in Osaka happened to have two of em... and it just so happened that I had a trip planned to Osaka. 😏 Well, the scheming started with emails to the owner, Kenichi, and ended up with me visiting on my very first day in Japan and walking back to the hotel with a new/used Ko'olau concert!!

The shop is called Basis Records/Ukulele Gallery and the owner, Kenichi, is complete and utter uke'aholic as well. In our email correspondence, he let me know that he's basically a one man shop and doesn't really deal with US based clients due to shipping and language barriers. Most all of our communication was via Google Translate (thank the uke gods for technology)... both on emails and in-person. When you walk downstairs to his store, you're greeted with an amazing display of high end ukes... tenors on one wall including three custom Ko'olau, a Grimes, a Graziano, and some Japanese builders Toda, Kou, and Lotus Acoustics . The other side had sopranos and concerts... including the two Ko'olau and plenty of Japanese built customs... a Hiyase, Kou, Toda. There were a few more on the back wall, including a couple G-Strings and others I can't recall. Below the class table in the middle were some vintage models, including a 1940's Martin soprano.

View attachment 171406 View attachment 171407
If that collection didn't already set you off, this maniac also has dozens of sets of raw wood for future builds... mainly koa. What collectors do you know have their collection of raw koa?! It turns out he has great connections with all of the builders he collects and sells, so he often supplies them with his own sets of wood! I mean.. how many places will you find five custom Ko'olau in the same room? Well, it's a room that Corey and Kalei have both played in, where the owner has known the HMS team for maybe close to a decade and has spent plenty of time in Hawaii, working with Noa and Steve Grimes. I could already feel like I was in a special place.

When I asked to play a few ukes, Kenichi brought out each one and polished it off and tuned it up, then placed it on a large table where he had a large piece of leather laid out, to protect the ukes. It was like a nicely curated boutique feel, where he was handing me any ukes I asked for and I could just feel, hear, and compare them all. I tried the two Ko'olau concerts, a Toda concert, and two Kou concerts. For tenors, I played my first ever Grimes and HO-LEE MO-LEE did it sound good. Warm, sweet and balanced! Lucky for me and my wallet, I knew I wasn't after a tenor, having my two Ko'olau back at home.

The concerts was really no contest, except for a bit of troubled history. I'll start with the other very nice ukes, in their own rights. I played my first milo uke, in the Toda and it had a nice feel to it and a balanced sound, on the warmer side. I played two Kou and they were both very clean, crisp, and on the brighter side. The new Ko'olau is from 2023 and was quite loud, clean, clear and bright... but this older Ko'olau stole my heart. The voice was warm and sweet... and you can tell it's was a bit more open or just something different about it. It just rang. I will say all, of the concerts were in high-G, and I'm much more used to low-G. But you could still feel the sweetness and warmth for sure.

About this one... it was built by Noa Bonk and John Kiitakis... Noa (and Andrew's) dad... the man who started it all with Ko'olau. Kenichi told me that the bridge had popped off, mainly because of the top warping/bellying caused by the bracing pattern. This uke has no vertical bracing, similar to a vintage Martin, so there's a bit of a belly just above the bridge. Kenichi worked with another builder to re-shape the bridge to match the top profile and re-attach it. It has been secure and stable for the last five years and it's been played throughout. That bracing pattern makes it sounds SO different than the rest of the ukes I tried that day and it feels different than any other concert I played. I couldn't let this be one of those that got away, so I pulled the trigger.

The deal was a bit strange, as I'm traveling and he didn't feel comfortable shipping to the states... CITES this and that, plus customs etc etc. So I had to find a way to take it home with me... and I've been traveling with my tenor Outdoor uke. (See my posts about having to actually check-in a uke with VietJet Air... ugh). I'm traveling light, with just a backpack and a uke, so I didn't want to lug around two. So I ended up leaving my Outdoor Uke with Kenichi, and as a trade, he was FAR TOO KIND and installed a set of Gotoh tuners for me to replace the old friction tuners the concert had. He also gave me a smaller hard shell case that turns out to be a perfect fit INSIDE the tenor Fusion gig bag I was using for the Outdoor Uke. I'm positive I won't have to check in the uke on our last flight back to the states, but with this case in bag, I can feel pretty secure that it'll be safe if that madness does happen. I think, if they really tried to pull that at the gate, I would just remove the hard shell case and re-pack the gig bag with randomness and DEMAND that I take the concert on as a carry-on.

OK.. i feel your angst with all these words and not enough pics, (if you haven't already skipped it all and scrolled down)... here are some pics... of my new concert baby!!

What a great setup.... perhaps a future travel idea. Hard shell case inside of a gig bag!
View attachment 171417

It looks a bit too orange in this pic... it's really a blonde koa.. see next pics.
View attachment 171416

The blonde
View attachment 171411

Not sure what I see on the back, but ima post it on the Backs thread and get some feed'back'
View attachment 171415

The label with John and Noa. I love how the shell looks greenish
View attachment 171413

View attachment 171412

I love how the inlay is hand-made and not cut by a laser. The imperfections add to its beauty, for me.
View attachment 171414

Tortoise shell binding on the top, back, aaaaand fretboard! I thought that was a cool touch. I don't know how to tell if tortoise shell is real, but I'm assuming it's not.
View attachment 171410

Went with the Gotoh UPTs in the same color scheme as the original friction tuners... but Kenichi said that this button shape is no longer available, his last set, and the most expensive ones he had in stock. He's too nice!!! AND HE INSTALLED THEM FOR ME!!!
View attachment 171408

As he installed the tuners, he let me play whatever ukes I wanted, as he knew it was gonna take a while. I needed to play a tenor, to fulfill my low-G needs and it has to be a Ko'olau. I asked him which he would pick and he said, for sound... the Spruce. He. was. not. wrong. Again, for my wallet, I was glad I had already paid for the concert and he was reaming out the headstock to replace the tuners (did I mention how thin that headstock is!?). The spruce was a complete canon. Utter beast of a uke and made me miss mine back at home... but also happy knowing it was there!!

View attachment 171418

It turns out, Kenichi is also a music producer and has a bunch of CD's and records. He put on some videos of some the bands he produces and also played a CD of Ron Artis II, which he also produced. So good! We talked about the HMS crew and he showed me some videos he had of Corey and Kalei playing in the very seat I was sitting in. He told me which ukes they liked of the Japanese builders, so I had to try one of those as well. The Lotus Acoustic tenor was LOUD!!! I could see why Corey would like something like that. It has the power to sing out in a solo, but with the right touch, the insane responsiveness can be controlled to a sweet gentle tone. I do not possess that touch at all times, so it was a lot for me to handle.

The concert... once Kenichi had the Gotohs on... strung up with a low G... well... it kinda blew us both away. We had smiles and nods and "yesssss... very good sound!" I can attack this thing and strum with all my might and the balance is all there and the tone is all there. Then you back off and play the sweetest fingerstyle you've ever heard. (i just let out a big sigh as I typed that). As my wife and I have been walking around Osaka the last couple days, I sometimes think about being back at the hotel with the uke. (is that wrong?! hahahahhaha... is this an emotional affair?! don't tell her. Can you tell I'm writing this with a Suntory highball in me?). I better stop before I reach the character limit, if I haven't already (big shoutout to Tim and the UUF Admin crew!)

I was working on an entry for the Seasons today, but wasn't getting a recording that seemed to give the uke its justice. I think the hotel room walls bounce too much noise or I'm just being picky. Anyways... it'll come when the time is right. Til then, I'm keeping this sweet sound for me and my wife.

I will add, my wife was surprisingly accepting of this uke! Maybe it's the vacation or maybe the sweet tone won her over, or the fact that she's met the HMS/TUS crew and I told her it was made by Andrew's dad... either way... I'll take it! She also told me I need to sell two ukes, since I got this one... i told her "nope! Just one! I already traded the plastic Outdoor uke to Kenichi!" (what. a. schemer. :sneaky:) shhhhhhhh don't wake her... it's 2am and she's sound asleep.

if you've made it this far, I hope all your uke dreams come true!!!! 🙌💨💞💗

Your exploits are just so entertaining, hands_on. And just when I think I have it under control, here you come with another. Like, it's been probably a year or so since I checked out the Basis Records site, and now I'm trying to find that Ko'olau you didn't buy. Or maybe they've got some other, out-of-the-ordinary uke I'll just have to have.

Enjoy that honey of an instrument. It's lovely all over.

p.s. The back reminds me of Shiva

s-l400.jpg

NBD! (New bag day). I just got this the other day... I also have a matching bucket hat, but I don't think I have the style to wear em together... at least not with my wife around 😅

Best tote bag EVER! Bonsai trees! Boy, I have to agree with @TerryM that your exploits are truly entertaining! I’m getting a vicarious thrill reading all this. And there’s more to come! But … is it safe to leave your blonde koa beauty alone in the hotel when you’re out & about? Just sayin’.

I can explain. *Faces the choir to start preaching

I've recently fallen pretty hard for Ko'olau, acquiring two tenors since December. Serious keepers and my "house-on-fire ukes" for sure. Well, interest bounced around some and @Patty was chatting with me about Ko'olau concerts and it planted a seed in my head and got me looking (this forum is a dangerous place for recovering uke'aholics, if you haven't found that out already). It turns out that Ko'olau concerts aren't too easy to find and one shop in Osaka happened to have two of em... and it just so happened that I had a trip planned to Osaka. 😏 Well, the scheming started with emails to the owner, Kenichi, and ended up with me visiting on my very first day in Japan and walking back to the hotel with a new/used Ko'olau concert!!

The shop is called Basis Records/Ukulele Gallery and the owner, Kenichi, is complete and utter uke'aholic as well. In our email correspondence, he let me know that he's basically a one man shop and doesn't really deal with US based clients due to shipping and language barriers. Most all of our communication was via Google Translate (thank the uke gods for technology)... both on emails and in-person. When you walk downstairs to his store, you're greeted with an amazing display of high end ukes... tenors on one wall including three custom Ko'olau, a Grimes, a Graziano, and some Japanese builders Toda, Kou, and Lotus Acoustics . The other side had sopranos and concerts... including the two Ko'olau and plenty of Japanese built customs... a Hiyase, Kou, Toda. There were a few more on the back wall, including a couple G-Strings and others I can't recall. Below the class table in the middle were some vintage models, including a 1940's Martin soprano.

View attachment 171406 View attachment 171407
If that collection didn't already set you off, this maniac also has dozens of sets of raw wood for future builds... mainly koa. What collectors do you know have their collection of raw koa?! It turns out he has great connections with all of the builders he collects and sells, so he often supplies them with his own sets of wood! I mean.. how many places will you find five custom Ko'olau in the same room? Well, it's a room that Corey and Kalei have both played in, where the owner has known the HMS team for maybe close to a decade and has spent plenty of time in Hawaii, working with Noa and Steve Grimes. I could already feel like I was in a special place.

When I asked to play a few ukes, Kenichi brought out each one and polished it off and tuned it up, then placed it on a large table where he had a large piece of leather laid out, to protect the ukes. It was like a nicely curated boutique feel, where he was handing me any ukes I asked for and I could just feel, hear, and compare them all. I tried the two Ko'olau concerts, a Toda concert, and two Kou concerts. For tenors, I played my first ever Grimes and HO-LEE MO-LEE did it sound good. Warm, sweet and balanced! Lucky for me and my wallet, I knew I wasn't after a tenor, having my two Ko'olau back at home.

The concerts was really no contest, except for a bit of troubled history. I'll start with the other very nice ukes, in their own rights. I played my first milo uke, in the Toda and it had a nice feel to it and a balanced sound, on the warmer side. I played two Kou and they were both very clean, crisp, and on the brighter side. The new Ko'olau is from 2023 and was quite loud, clean, clear and bright... but this older Ko'olau stole my heart. The voice was warm and sweet... and you can tell it's was a bit more open or just something different about it. It just rang. I will say all, of the concerts were in high-G, and I'm much more used to low-G. But you could still feel the sweetness and warmth for sure.

About this one... it was built by Noa Bonk and John Kiitakis... Noa (and Andrew's) dad... the man who started it all with Ko'olau. Kenichi told me that the bridge had popped off, mainly because of the top warping/bellying caused by the bracing pattern. This uke has no vertical bracing, similar to a vintage Martin, so there's a bit of a belly just above the bridge. Kenichi worked with another builder to re-shape the bridge to match the top profile and re-attach it. It has been secure and stable for the last five years and it's been played throughout. That bracing pattern makes it sounds SO different than the rest of the ukes I tried that day and it feels different than any other concert I played. I couldn't let this be one of those that got away, so I pulled the trigger.

The deal was a bit strange, as I'm traveling and he didn't feel comfortable shipping to the states... CITES this and that, plus customs etc etc. So I had to find a way to take it home with me... and I've been traveling with my tenor Outdoor uke. (See my posts about having to actually check-in a uke with VietJet Air... ugh). I'm traveling light, with just a backpack and a uke, so I didn't want to lug around two. So I ended up leaving my Outdoor Uke with Kenichi, and as a trade, he was FAR TOO KIND and installed a set of Gotoh tuners for me to replace the old friction tuners the concert had. He also gave me a smaller hard shell case that turns out to be a perfect fit INSIDE the tenor Fusion gig bag I was using for the Outdoor Uke. I'm positive I won't have to check in the uke on our last flight back to the states, but with this case in bag, I can feel pretty secure that it'll be safe if that madness does happen. I think, if they really tried to pull that at the gate, I would just remove the hard shell case and re-pack the gig bag with randomness and DEMAND that I take the concert on as a carry-on.

OK.. i feel your angst with all these words and not enough pics, (if you haven't already skipped it all and scrolled down)... here are some pics... of my new concert baby!!

What a great setup.... perhaps a future travel idea. Hard shell case inside of a gig bag!
View attachment 171417

It looks a bit too orange in this pic... it's really a blonde koa.. see next pics.
View attachment 171416

The blonde
View attachment 171411

Not sure what I see on the back, but ima post it on the Backs thread and get some feed'back'
View attachment 171415

The label with John and Noa. I love how the shell looks greenish
View attachment 171413

View attachment 171412

I love how the inlay is hand-made and not cut by a laser. The imperfections add to its beauty, for me.
View attachment 171414

Tortoise shell binding on the top, back, aaaaand fretboard! I thought that was a cool touch. I don't know how to tell if tortoise shell is real, but I'm assuming it's not.
View attachment 171410

Went with the Gotoh UPTs in the same color scheme as the original friction tuners... but Kenichi said that this button shape is no longer available, his last set, and the most expensive ones he had in stock. He's too nice!!! AND HE INSTALLED THEM FOR ME!!!
View attachment 171408

As he installed the tuners, he let me play whatever ukes I wanted, as he knew it was gonna take a while. I needed to play a tenor, to fulfill my low-G needs and it has to be a Ko'olau. I asked him which he would pick and he said, for sound... the Spruce. He. was. not. wrong. Again, for my wallet, I was glad I had already paid for the concert and he was reaming out the headstock to replace the tuners (did I mention how thin that headstock is!?). The spruce was a complete canon. Utter beast of a uke and made me miss mine back at home... but also happy knowing it was there!!

View attachment 171418

It turns out, Kenichi is also a music producer and has a bunch of CD's and records. He put on some videos of some the bands he produces and also played a CD of Ron Artis II, which he also produced. So good! We talked about the HMS crew and he showed me some videos he had of Corey and Kalei playing in the very seat I was sitting in. He told me which ukes they liked of the Japanese builders, so I had to try one of those as well. The Lotus Acoustic tenor was LOUD!!! I could see why Corey would like something like that. It has the power to sing out in a solo, but with the right touch, the insane responsiveness can be controlled to a sweet gentle tone. I do not possess that touch at all times, so it was a lot for me to handle.

The concert... once Kenichi had the Gotohs on... strung up with a low G... well... it kinda blew us both away. We had smiles and nods and "yesssss... very good sound!" I can attack this thing and strum with all my might and the balance is all there and the tone is all there. Then you back off and play the sweetest fingerstyle you've ever heard. (i just let out a big sigh as I typed that). As my wife and I have been walking around Osaka the last couple days, I sometimes think about being back at the hotel with the uke. (is that wrong?! hahahahhaha... is this an emotional affair?! don't tell her. Can you tell I'm writing this with a Suntory highball in me?). I better stop before I reach the character limit, if I haven't already (big shoutout to Tim and the UUF Admin crew!)

I was working on an entry for the Seasons today, but wasn't getting a recording that seemed to give the uke its justice. I think the hotel room walls bounce too much noise or I'm just being picky. Anyways... it'll come when the time is right. Til then, I'm keeping this sweet sound for me and my wife.

I will add, my wife was surprisingly accepting of this uke! Maybe it's the vacation or maybe the sweet tone won her over, or the fact that she's met the HMS/TUS crew and I told her it was made by Andrew's dad... either way... I'll take it! She also told me I need to sell two ukes, since I got this one... i told her "nope! Just one! I already traded the plastic Outdoor uke to Kenichi!" (what. a. schemer. :sneaky:) shhhhhhhh don't wake her... it's 2am and she's sound asleep.

if you've made it this far, I hope all your uke dreams come true!!!! 🙌💨💞💗

Great to hear that you found ONE! What a great story to hear:)

> As my wife and I have been walking around Osaka the last couple days, I sometimes think about being back at the hotel with the uke. (is that wrong?! hahahahhaha... is this an emotional affair?!

Have you already been to Osaka castle?
If you haven't been there, grab your new buddy and go to the park! The Osaka Castle Park is where people practice playing loud musical instruments. It's also a great place to visit, especially early in the morning, so you will kill two, three birds with one stone;)

Enjoy your stay and if you find any difficulties during your stay in Osaka, please feel free to let me know!

Your exploits are just so entertaining, hands_on. And just when I think I have it under control, here you come with another. Like, it's been probably a year or so since I checked out the Basis Records site, and now I'm trying to find that Ko'olau you didn't buy. Or maybe they've got some other, out-of-the-ordinary uke I'll just have to have.

Enjoy that honey of an instrument. It's lovely all over.

p.s. The back reminds me of Shiva

View attachment 171650
Shiva!! YES!! I also saw a bit of a being, emanating energy. It must be Shiva!! I can't stop enjoying this thing.

Best tote bag EVER! Bonsai trees! Boy, I have to agree with @TerryM that your exploits are truly entertaining! I’m getting a vicarious thrill reading all this. And there’s more to come! But … is it safe to leave your blonde koa beauty alone in the hotel when you’re out & about? Just sayin’.
I've thought about bringing it along, but this hotel seems safe enough so far. I DO think about it as I'm walking..I might consider lugging it, depending on my feels.

As for the bag, here's the matching hat with another sound sample... testing the boom of the low end (super balanced... even the C with Worth Browns) and the sustain overall... even the slides and hammers sing out and continue to sustain. It's pretty wild.

Great to hear that you found ONE! What a great story to hear:)

Have you already been to Osaka castle?
If you haven't been there, grab your new buddy and go to the park! The Osaka Castle Park is where people practice playing loud musical instruments. It's also a great place to visit, especially early in the morning, so you will kill two, three birds with one stone;)

Enjoy your stay and if you find any difficulties during your stay in Osaka, please feel free to let me know!
Yes, we visited Osaka Castle when we came the first time, in 2018. Today, we went to Sumiyoshi Taisha!.. what a great little shrine.

We're in Osaka til Saturday and have no plans tomorrow. Is there a good place to catch live music? Do you wanna grab a drink?! (No pressure). We check out Saturday and head to Kobe. I think I'm gonna go hang out and listen to street musicians around the Dotonbori bridges. 😁

I can't stop enjoying this thing.

As for the bag, here's the matching hat with another sound sample... testing the boom of the low end (super balanced... even the C with Worth Browns) and the sustain overall... even the slides and hammers sing out and continue to sustain. It's pretty wild.

Now I understand why you just want to play it all day! 💫

Shiva!! YES!! I also saw a bit of a being, emanating energy. It must be Shiva!! I can't stop enjoying this thing.

I've thought about bringing it along, but this hotel seems safe enough so far. I DO think about it as I'm walking..I might consider lugging it, depending on my feels.

Yes, we visited Osaka Castle when we came the first time, in 2018. Today, we went to Sumiyoshi Taisha!.. what a great little shrine.

We're in Osaka til Saturday and have no plans tomorrow. Is there a good place to catch live music? Do you wanna grab a drink?! (No pressure). We check out Saturday and head to Kobe. I think I'm gonna go hang out and listen to street musicians around the Dotonbori bridges. 😁

Oh, I wish I could but I can't make it. It will be a long day today for me with the Japanese golden week holiday starting tomorrow.

Have you been to Nara city? If you haven't decided where to go yet, Nara-city, Todaiji, and Kasuga Taisha are great places to visit. It will take about an hour by train from Kintetsu or JR Nanba.
The Golden Week holiday is a consecutive national holiday, so any tourist place you visit will be filled with not only inbound tourists but with Japanese people for a while.
Today will be a good day to visit anywhere with less crowds.
Cheers and have fun!

Top Bottom