Buying to Try

I am blown away knowing how difficult it is outside of the USA. I knew it is difficult but I did not realize the extent. I did send a gift Harmony Wow to my grandson who lives in The Netherlands. it was a gift for him. He was 8-years old at the time and my daughter had to pay a $400 tax on a $500 value ukulele. And the postage was crazy also for a soprano ukulele.

I sometimes have to assure sellers that the process of shipping internationally is easy enough, just a matter of filling out a simple customs declaration form. The real barrier to importing, at least from the U.S. to Canada, is the exchange rate. Shipping costs have also risen dramatically the past few years but are still not prohibitive for sending something as small and light as an ukulele. As I mentioned earlier, though, I greatly prefer to have items shipped via USPS/Canada Post, both because the postal service rates are typically much more reasonable and because the private courier companies charge rapacious brokerage fees. And lose packages. And break things. And never pay up when they do.

It's becoming more difficult to sell items internationally, too. I put a Kamaka HP-1 soprano up for sale here a while ago (still available, for anyone who's in the market) and had an agreement to buy from a fellow UU member. That sale fell through when I discovered that PayPal has apparently instituted a requirement that for international sales above a certain threshold a seller must submit a copy of their birth certificate, passport or driver's license. Not likely! Assuming I encounter the same barrier again, I'll have to insist on payment by cashier's cheque or wire transfer. I never do business on Reverb but am told that that site now relies on a payment system that requires one to submit a bank account number and password. Why anyone would be so cavalier as to turn over that information is beyond me, but I guess many do.

$400 tax on a $500 ukulele -- yikes! So much for fostering international trade. If I had to pay that sort of premium there'd be something decorating my walls besides stringed instruments. Duties run about 15% here.

BTW, for anyone shipping an instrument internationally, it's always a good idea to include a note on the customs form indicating that the instrument contains no materials prohibited by CITES (the Convention on Trade in Endangered Species). That was a big issue after the treaty was ratified, but fortunately an exemption was soon made for rosewood on antique instruments and furniture. It pays to be safe, though. Those ivory fret markers could get an instrument impounded if some zealous customs agent decides to have a look-see.

Tapestry? They're my go to for "local" uke strings.

Oh. The ferry drama. I feel. I used to "commute" bi-weekly to visit my Dad from the Mainland to Lantzville, and that was bad enough. Now, ferry travel is not possible without at least one reservation.

Ok enough thread hijacking! Back to the topic! Sorry, I just had to be here in solidarity.

Ha! I expected you'd chime in here, PW. No question, ferry reservations are now essential. And yes, for the benefit of anyone in the Vancouver area I was referring to Tapestry Music as my source for Worth and Fremount strings. Great people to deal with and as uke-friendly a store as you're likely to find outside of an ukes-only dealership. Oh, and also for the benefit of anyone on the Lower Mainland, the luthier I mentioned is Paul Iverson at Tom Lee Music. He's a master! He did a repair on a Kamaka bridge for me that was way beyond the pay grade of most luthiers. I've never had work done at Tapestry but I'm sure the luthiers there are completely trustworthy, as well.

Last edited:
And yes, for the benefit of anyone in the Vancouver area I was referring to Tapestry Music as my source for Worth and Fremount strings. Great people to deal with and as uke-friendly a store as you're likely to find outside of an ukes-only dealership.
Yes they're a great crew. I go to the Victoria store a few times a year to get strings, because my teacher is there (in Victoria).

This forum maybe is the best way to buy and sell ukuleles. And this is not just for those who live in uke deserts.

Other than Hawaii, I am not sure if many other areas in the US have a great selection. I live in the Bay Area (CA) and can drive to Gryphon Strings, The Ukulele Source, and other shops. But the selection is still limited (fortunately, they have the three Ks!).

But it is the forum that allowed me to buy and try (and resell) a Tyde, Kiwaya, Mya Moe, aNueNue. I also was only able to try by buying online an Antica Ukuleleria, an Enya, a Pono, and a Journey

Other than Hawaii, I am not sure if many other areas in the US have a great selection.

It's the downside of playing a niche instrument, of course. On the other hand, the fact that there's a relatively small market for high quality ukuleles also has an upside, particularly when it comes to vintage instruments. I just paid $1300 for a near-mint '50s Martin tenor. Good luck finding a Martin guitar of that vintage in anything close to that condition for ten times the price!

Top Bottom