GotaUkulele Reviews

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I look forward to the new review every week, but I'm no longer tempted to buy - no matter how good the uke is. I have enough. Baz gives the best online reviews. They are full of facts and opinions, and you can balance his personal opinions with the facts he offers. I always recommend his site to people looking for a new uke. Have you ever noticed that you can often tell what he thinks of a uke just by looking at the thumbnail of the video? 😋

I like his reviews. I think he is the only ukulele reviewer that has a good variety of big brands, small brands, and different price ranges. Some of the ukuleles that he reviews are not easily available in my country or are very expensive to ship here, but most are easy enough to find if I want them. His price comparisons are always in UK currency, which is not the most stable these days, so I always ignore his value ratings and look up the prices for myself if I were to buy one.

Another good reviewer is ukestuff. I find his 60 second and comparison videos helpful.

That being said, It took me a bit before I learned the hard way Not to use reviews as a guide for purchases. However, I do find sound samples helpful.

We are each built differently. One person may have long fingers, wider fingers, short fingers, more strength, less, etc. Those subjective experiences mark the enjoyment and playability of an instrument.

Ultimately, it's a ymmv.

Last edited:
I’m a Patreon member. The information and entertainment are valuable, but he’s also steered me toward and away from several ukes.

We are each built differently. One person may have long fingers, wider fingers, short fingers, more strength, less, etc. Those subjective experiences mark the enjoyment and playability of an instrument.
Words of wisdom, and worth remembering! It’s like the old parable of the blind men experiencing the elephant by feeling the different parts. Each one in effect experiences a different animal.

No, actually, it's not like that at all. Never mind. Had too much wine at dinner.

He’s excellent. The reviews are knowledgable, sincere, and thorough. And I look forward to each week’s review purely as entertainment.

Even though Martin Van Humbeck lives only fifty miles from here, it was the Got a Ukulele review that first brought Beck ukuleles to my attention. Thanks, Baz! I ordered a Beck tenor on the basis of that review and a couple of demonstration videos from World of Ukes. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Well, I bought my new Baton Rouge solid wood tenor thanks to his review and I’m super satisfied. He is honest and does not lie for profit from the makers, that’s why I like him. I always watch his videos even if I don’t need anything or even if he reviews ukes I could never afford. I laugh a lot when he talks about very bad ones 😁 He does a very useful service, here in Italy if you don’t like Mahimahi and need a good solid wood uke under 150 euros you don’t have much choice, not even Kala or Flight 🥹 I’m even more motivated to learn English at school because the most useful and interesting ukulele resources are in English 😂 thank you Baz 🙏🏻

I bought my Twisted Wood Sierra tenor on Baz's review alone (needed something in that price range and next step up investment and didn't like anything I could buy from my local shops) and I was not disappointed. It is in fact one of my favourite sounding and playing ukuleles. I no longer play tenor, I'm keeping only one, that a friend built for me, and have my Sierra at a local music shop on consignment. If I still played tenor I would not be letting it go.

Top Bottom