Blunders, Eight-stringed Ukuleles and Random Winged Insects: Voran's blog

On a happier note some more cool pictures of the variable bush viper:

images

I like how utterly unapologetic they are about their big bulging venom glands. 'Yeah I'm deadly. Don't mess with me.'

For anyone who doesn't know the arrowhead shaped head is largely because of the venom gland and the souped up muscles that power it.

images

They're so beautiful. I want both these babies...the modest grey and the fiery orange both look so elegant

LOOK AT ITS BEAUTIFUL ICE BLUE COLORING

I want this one too. If I were ever obscenely rich I'd keep a bunch of these beautiful creatures as pets. Just buy a mansion and fill it with vivaria. Some insularises and a few of these because glorious colors and also elegantly shaped head and neck

ee_blue_green_with_black_spots_squamigera_bush_viper_3.jpg

Always had a certain admiration for snakes. I made a bunch of clay ones as a kid...then dropped the box they were in and shattered them. Poor babies. Some time I will restore them and then just preserve them in snowglobe type ornaments made of epoxy resin.

I think what I find impressive is not needing limbs. You or I would be grievously disabled if we had no legs...but snakes not only don't have limbs, they simply do not need them. They'd even find them a hindrance. Arms or legs would just be an annoyance to a snake when crawling through narrow passages.

LOOK AT ITS BEAUTIFUL ICE BLUE COLORING

I want this one too. If I were ever obscenely rich I'd keep a bunch of these beautiful creatures as pets. Just buy a mansion and fill it with vivaria. Some insularises and a few of these because glorious colors and also elegantly shaped head and neck

ee_blue_green_with_black_spots_squamigera_bush_viper_3.jpg
I love their scales! Almost like scutes, rather than the smoother versions on a lot of snakes. They're like diamond armour 😍

I think what I find impressive is not needing limbs. You or I would be grievously disabled if we had no legs...but snakes not only don't have limbs, they simply do not need them. They'd even find them a hindrance. Arms or legs would just be an annoyance to a snake when crawling through narrow passages.
I am fascinated by how they move and climb and swim. Amazing creatures. I've loved snakes my whole life. We have little garden Garter snakes on our property. They should be coming out more soon as it's warming up. They love snuggling in piles in our greenhouse. They're gorgeous, and in so many different patterns and colours; I mean, very subdued compared to the ones you're finding pics of, but handsome and gorgeous nonetheless. I can't seem to find any photos on this phone but I'll see if I can dig up one of the snake snuggle.

I am fascinated by how they move and climb and swim. Amazing creatures. I've loved snakes my whole life. We have little garden Garter snakes on our property. They should be coming out more soon as it's warming up. They love snuggling in piles in our greenhouse. They're gorgeous, and in so many different patterns and colours; I mean, very subdued compared to the ones you're finding pics of, but handsome and gorgeous nonetheless. I can't seem to find any photos on this phone but I'll see if I can dig up one of the snake snuggle.
Squeee! Do share pictures if you got em!

Other species I find myself rather appreciating lately is the gaboon viper. I want to hold one lol. They're so hefty and muscular they'd be a luxury to just hold in your hand.

I saw a Youtube where a guy was holding a viper by the head to milk venom and it twisted one fang sideways and bit him anyway.

I know this is terrible but I found that exhilarating. That's quite a feat of flexibility to pull off. I doubt he came to harm; this was an antivenom facility. He only had to walk a few meters to go get some :D

My first thought hearing this is that the ravens were the heroes. Ravens keep annoying children away...Good to know. Always keep some handy.

I need to go on a long hike and see my babies. I miss their dagger beaks and their powerful necks and their pounding wingbeats.

For anyone who doesn't know I had two wild ravens I used to feed almost daily. I named them Vladimir and Tatiana...this was a long time ago before the invasion...I would never give a bird a Russian name again.

They flew away to an area high on a cliff face when COVID happened. Smart move because it IS zoonotic.

They still fly over and say hello now and then. Vladimir does this thing where he will perch on a telegraph pole and utter a deep oscillating oooooooooooooooooooooo until I say hello back.

I love that the ravens kept the kids and the man away lol. The ravens were looking out for her. Their shrieks probably translated to 'Don't do it! You'll end up washing his socks and taking care of his screeching poo demons!'

NICE! Thanks for sharing! How'd you come to be spending time with a python? :D
We were visiting our friends who'd moved in the summer and we'd not yet managed to connect until yesterday. They have two ball pythons, but one of them is shy and this little dude was just all the curious there is, so he spent pretty much the entire visit with us.

We were visiting our friends who'd moved in the summer and we'd not yet managed to connect until yesterday. They have two ball pythons, but one of them is shy and this little dude was just all the curious there is, so he spent pretty much the entire visit with us.
Squeeee! What's his name?

I seem to be suffering from blunderitis. I lost a huge chunk of elo. I cannot do the most basic of pattern recognition today. I just walk into the most basic attacks that a drunk baboon using his own poop for chess pieces would know how to defend against.

Reasonably pleased with my fitness progress. I find running for an hour genuinely easy.

I have a modest little dream of competing in an 8k. I have no illusions I'd win; I have short legs for my height. I would still like to try.

Also it seems psychologically healthier to focus on endurance running than trying to be Zarya from Overwatch. I always wanted the roided mutant look...but unfortunately nature did not intend human women to be 300 lbs of muscle. I could do the pink mohawk though; if I ever go grey with age I might bust out the pink dye :D

Top Bottom