How many ukuleles are too many ukuleles?

If you dont have space for them, there are too many.

When does it begin to look more like a collection, and less like just the ukes you must have for playing?

I would say that even if you stick to one size and tuning, it makes sense to have two ukuleles. Whenever you change strings, the uke will be practically unplayable for a week. I know that there are more than two types of wood you can build a uke in that size from, but I will claim that the sound is not so different that it will sound wrong to an audience if you dont have the perfect tone wood for a specific arrangement of a tune.

If you play more sizes and tunings, it also depends on how many you just play occasionally, and how many you play so much that you cant wait for new strings to settle in without playing it. If you perform professionally, and have both low G and high g tunes in your set, you might need two of each.

I figure that most players have a preferred size for high and low G respectfully, and ought to be able to play ukes and get through string changes with five or less ukes.
I have more 😆

I’m sure this question has been asked over and over again. But I thought I’d try to look at in a logical way. Of course, when it comes to buying more ukuleles and UAS there is usually very little logic involved.
I can understand the person who says that they just need one ukulele that they are comfortable and happy with, because they just want to play.
And I can also understand someone who says that they enjoy the different sizes and likes to have the variety of owning and playing a soprano a concert and a tenor.
So is three enough?
How about if you really like both high G and low G? Should you have a minimum of six ukuleles and we haven’t even mentioned baritone. Now the numbers are climbing.
We then you could throw in the desire for a couple of different wood types because it’s nice to have a little variety in the sounds that different woods produce.
Could we do all that with a dozen ukuleles?
A dozen ukuleles? Does anyone need that many?
I have more than twice that. Does that put me into the ‘Crazy for Ukes’ category. Certainly it goes beyond the logical number of instruments one person needs and yet I probably own fewer ukuleles than many people on this forum.
Obviously UAS is not a logical passion and of course that doesn’t make it right are wrong.
Are you an over a dozen ukulele owner?
This thought came up the other day when a person came into my office and we got talking about ukuleles when she saw one or two (or three) laying around the office. She said her husband collects them. I asked how many he had and she said, probably about a thousand! A thousand!!
I was shocked. But hey, is that too many ukuleles?
What do you think?
I’m sure this question has been asked over and over again. But I thought I’d try to look at in a logical way. Of course, when it comes to buying more ukuleles and UAS there is usually very little logic involved.
I can understand the person who says that they just need one ukulele that they are comfortable and happy with, because they just want to play.
And I can also understand someone who says that they enjoy the different sizes and likes to have the variety of owning and playing a soprano a concert and a tenor.
So is three enough?
How about if you really like both high G and low G? Should you have a minimum of six ukuleles and we haven’t even mentioned baritone. Now the numbers are climbing.
We then you could throw in the desire for a couple of different wood types because it’s nice to have a little variety in the sounds that different woods produce.
Could we do all that with a dozen ukuleles?
A dozen ukuleles? Does anyone need that many?
I have more than twice that. Does that put me into the ‘Crazy for Ukes’ category. Certainly it goes beyond the logical number of instruments one person needs and yet I probably own fewer ukuleles than many people on this forum.
Obviously UAS is not a logical passion and of course that doesn’t make it right are wrong.
Are you an over a dozen ukulele owner?
This thought came up the other day when a person came into my office and we got talking about ukuleles when she saw one or two (or three) laying around the office. She said her husband collects them. I asked how many he had and she said, probably about a thousand! A thousand!!
I was shocked. But hey, is that too many ukuleles?
What do you think?
What is this “too many ukuleles” phrase? It doesn’t compute 😂😂😂

Sometimes the hard part for me is the hassle of getting rid of things. It's not that I don't want to part with them, it's that selling is inherently harder than buying. Then add in that resale value is often lower than the actual value to me (which is totally fair, but the sting still feels real), and that's why there's a baritone uke hanging on my wall that I'll take forever to sell even though I never play it (also because one of my kids will claim it if I ever try to sell it, at which point it becomes a trade for her baritone, which I will then have to sell, for even less money).

So part of my UAS is laziness, I guess?

I wish I could get down to just one ukulele, just one electric guitar, just one acoustic guitar--but I like to play in alternate tunings. It's way easier to just grab a new instrument than tuning up and down on one all the time. Right now I have only three player ukes (I have a couple others that fall more into the art/novelty camp, and a couple that I'm selling). One tuned in low octave GCEA, one in Bb, and one standard high g. Although I never really play the high g and was thinking of selling it...

...Of course, when it comes to buying more ukuleles and UAS there is usually very little logic involved.
When the cost of shipping exceeds the resale value and they play well, I keep them.
If they can't be made to play well, and therefore not worth shipping, they are "offed."

It probably depends on why you want ukes in the first place. Is playing them your first interest? Do you perform in public? Do you just admire them for aesthetic reasons? Do you teach others how to play? Are you naturally drawn to collections? Do you have money that is burning a hole in your pocket?

I reckon 4. But perhaps with overlap while you move on the ousted one, for which the ousting choice gets ever harder over time particularly if you like high end stuff. Then that covers "buying things because you really want to try one" or the more sinister :rolleyes: "buying things because they are a steal and otherwise someone else will". Any more, then they all need easy to read gifting instructions taped to cases. Think of your executors trying to dispose of the things.

If you dont have space for them, there are too many.

When does it begin to look more like a collection, and less like just the ukes you must have for playing?
I’d argue that collecting can be as valid as playing. Ukuleles can be interesting objects in and of themselves.

I’d argue that collecting can be as valid as playing. Ukuleles can be interesting objects in and of themselves.

That is true. And once you embrace that you are not only a player, but also a collector, storage space is the limit. That probably is the same for all things people can collect.

So my thought was, that for the OPs question to make sense - there would have to be some other meaning. Like how many ukes you can have before it is a "collection".

Edit:
With many hobbies, people who dont consider themselves collectors risk ending up with collections due to gear acquisition syndrome - in this case UAS. "No, I am not building a collection, I am just trying things looking for the perfect thing for me..." And in the end, these things that were not perfect still have sentimental value, so you keep them. And you are kind of a collector. It happened to me 😆

Last edited:
It's always interesting to read different perspectives on this. If I get a new uke, it's because I want it to do something different, but even that means different things to different people.

I've recently got a new tenor because I didn't have one with a pickup, and decided I had to sell an existing one to make room, but then I realised it might be fun to put dGBE strings on one so that I continued to have all my ukes in different tunings. Hooray for rationalisations! Although I've counted, and that takes me to nine ukes, which is nearly the same as having only one uke isn't it? Same order of magnitude, after all.

Anyway. If people enjoy collecting ukes, good for them. Also please let me visit some time :).

I'd rather be a player than a collector. But ymmv.

Collectors are more likely to post about how many they have than just play them.

I have 3 baritone ukes, but only play one. I’m hoping that my teenage sons might get interested in playing, but not holding my breath. Pretty much never play my soprano or concert. None are worth much so not worth selling. I am going to a family reunion in May, so may bring a few for others to play around with at a planned “jam”…

Top Bottom