Gotoh UPT Knockoffs

It's like a Chinese Amazon, with (expectedly) bad English and lesser service (poor packing, longer shipping times and impossible returns). I've ordered a few inexpensive items a few times. These tuners and a $1 steel string gauge are supposedly on their way.

I have never ordered from aliexpress. Is it a safe/secure shopping platform?
I've been buying stuff with AliExpress for about five years and have been totally satisfied with the experience. I would not buy anything expensive (you decide what 'expensive' means) simply because it is not practical to return goods, but on the few occasions (maybe three out of several dozen) when the goods were broken/not working) they have issued an immediate refund upon seeing photographic evidence.

My experiences with AliExpress have been very positive and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I rarely had issues with orders and when there were problems I've been given prompt refunds. My expectations are realistic going into a purchase and I've rarely been disappointed. If I were in the market for tuners I'd definitely give AliExpress a try if they had what I wanted.

I've been buying stuff with AliExpress for about five years and have been totally satisfied with the experience. I would not buy anything expensive (you decide what 'expensive' means) simply because it is not practical to return goods, but on the few occasions (maybe three out of several dozen) when the goods were broken/not working) they have issued an immediate refund upon seeing photographic evidence.
Thanks for the advice all. I will go ahead and order.

Last edited:
I have never ordered from aliexpress. Is it a safe/secure shopping platform?
My one and only experience with them is quite recent. I ordered a watch which didn't arrive because they didn't put my full address on the package. My local post office returned to sender. I tried to claim a refund but was refused, even after I appealed and provided photos of a tracking history provided by the post office. The dispute is ongoing and now in the hands of Paypal. It's no wonder I've seen them referred to as the "40 thieves".

I've ordered from AliEx way too many times to count over the past several years. Only one package was lost and I was refunded the full cost of the order.
I bought a set of these Der Jung tuners in the last big sale. They arrived in less than two weeks (Maryland).

I bought a set of these Der Jung tuners in the last big sale. They arrived in less than two weeks (Maryland).
I have heard positive things about these. How do you like them? Any issues?

I have heard positive things about these. How do you like them? Any issues?
No issues at all. They do not feel as tight as the Gotohs when tuning but never had any problems with them. Only complaints would be they need to make a longer post version to work on thicker headstocks and the tuners aren't as svelte as the Gotohs.

That link says £sterling John. That's about $38.63 - still great value. I used to order direct from Der Jung 100 sets at a time. It's a pity we are a disparate bunch... their minimum I think is 50 sets and these can be mixed. A consortium would save a lot of money but.... we just don't move as one do we?

Pegheds are a brilliant idea but a problematic design and you need to be an expert at finessing taper fits - planetary tuning machines are a no-brainer. The fine thread on Pegheds while suitable for something 'hard' like maple is no good for mahogany or koa. I'm so glad these are no longer the must-have replacement tuning machine.

I think it also needs to eb said that Der Jung's are not 'Gotoh Knock-offs'; they are alternative planetary tuning machines. Button choice is poor but if you can live with the classic elliptical shape only in a medium-grade plastic, then they should be considered if cost is an issue.

The few times I’ve looked at aliexpress the items couldn’t be delivered to my location (UK).
It’s good to hear many positive experiences though, I have often wondered. Has anyone ordered the tuners to UK?
I have tried contacting Der Jung directly in the past regarding their wooden buttons but didn’t get any reply. I understood they don’t sell directly, but I guess that’s just in small quantities. I’m certainly not looking to order in the hundreds unfortunately.
I’m about to order some of the planetary tuners from somewhere in Germany as they are the only place I could find the black version. I think they’re about €14 each plus whatever the postage ends up being. If anyone has a link to a UK supplier I’d be happy to know.
I had no joy looking for them on aliexpress, but then I found the search function rather frustrating.

Incidentally, does anybody have a rough suggestion of how closely you can position the upt tuners to each other and still be comfortable and not annoyingly getting in each others way for tuning purposes please?
I’m playing around with a sketch for a narrowish headstock taper.

No issues at all. They do not feel as tight as the Gotohs when tuning but never had any problems with them. Only complaints would be they need to make a longer post version to work on thicker headstocks and the tuners aren't as svelte as the Gotohs.
I fully agree about the longer post.

You all got me thinking, now. I usually make my own wooden pegs, thinking if I ever make a really good sounding uke I'd upgrade it to the Gotoh upts. But these der jungs might be in my budget. Question - Are the buttons replaceable? Like could I make my own wooden ones that would work and suit my aesthetic? I'm thinking there's not much special to the buttons on the upts, other than to turn the shaft, as opposed to like a grover friction tuner, where the button itself plays a functional role in the operation.

You all got me thinking, now. I usually make my own wooden pegs, thinking if I ever make a really good sounding uke I'd upgrade it to the Gotoh upts. But these der jungs might be in my budget. Question - Are the buttons replaceable? Like could I make my own wooden ones that would work and suit my aesthetic? I'm thinking there's not much special to the buttons on the upts, other than to turn the shaft, as opposed to like a grover friction tuner, where the button itself plays a functional role in the operation.
The buttons fit over a turning post that has been squared on two sides. The buttons have the same internal profile. A small screw holds it in place and can be tightened. There is a small metal washer and a gasket between the button and the body similar to some friction tuners. Not certain if tightening the screw has any impact on performance, but it does give some resistance which could help dial the tuning in better.

Attachments

• PXL_20240410_000315173.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240410_000315173.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240410_000305825.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240410_000305825.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20240410_000233483.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240410_000233483.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 16
Here's a comparison pic of the Der Jung next to a Gotoh UPTL.

Attachments

• PXL_20240410_002239982.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240410_002239982.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 16
There are a number of buttons from Der Jung for these tuners, some of them smaller than shown above. All of them plastic, no wooden option.

Top Bottom