Neck burst tutorial

That is really cool! I love watching how people achieve things. Thanks for sharing your process!!

(Not my thing either, but neither is detailed inlay work or dyed instruments or super high gloss mirror finish... BUT I enjoy looking and I hugely admire the skill and craftsmanship involved in being able to successfully achieve any of those embellishments)

Since we are doing a survey, I like a well done burst on the neck. Back when I had a repair shop, there were many occasions to use a burst on the neck to hide neck damage. On new instruments, it can have dramatic effect if tt is well blended into the shades of the wood. I have mostly done sprayed ones. In repair work, since you are usually coloring an area that has finish on it, the burst color must be sprayed. Most of the traditional bursts on vintage instruments were wipe on colors. Thanks for the wipe on demo.

Here’s a little video I made on my neck burst process. It’s an easy way to get a burst without spraying color.
Looks nice! What kind of dye is this? I've used water soluble "aniline" dye from powder, but yours looks much more intense and darker. Maybe I don't mix it strong enough.

Looks nice! What kind of dye is this? I've used water soluble "aniline" dye from powder, but yours looks much more intense and darker. Maybe I don't mix it strong enough.
For this to work well you need to use alcohol based dyes. Water based take too long to dry and the color smears and doesn’t blend well. Besides, water on a neck is not a good idea…

Fiebing's leather dyes have worked well for me also (good color choices and very cost effective vs transtint, etc.)

But despite a fair amount of coloration, I've only attempted one sunburst (my third uke produced).Gerald Uke.jpg

Thanks for posting! Though (somewhat ironically) I’m habitually in favor of “the less bling, the better”, your sunburst technique is extremely innovative and the result is stunning.

Fender apparently used a somewhat similar process on its Korea- made 5-string Leo banjos as both the neck and the pot on mine look very similar.

Well done!

For this to work well you need to use alcohol based dyes. Water based take too long to dry and the color smears and doesn’t blend well. Besides, water on a neck is not a good idea…
Would this rule out an alcohol based finish ( i.e. shellac)?

Not at all. I typically seal any color by wiping on 1 lb cut shellac, just as I would seal over wood bindings that could bleed onto a light colored body. Once sealed, can finish as desired. (The above uke was french polished (clear) after staining the wood)

Last edited:
I don’t do any shellac finishes so I can’t really comment but probably would smear the burst. What I’d recommend would be to spray on a sanding sealer. One or two light coats would seal in the stain and the shellac over it. But you could try the shellac right over it. It’s pretty easy to restart if it doesn’t work.

Top Bottom