The Tenor is King

D'Addario Pro-Arte classical guitar strings EJ46
My favourite strings too, though I prefer the EJ45 (Normal tension) across the board (sop, concert, tenor)

The D'addario Pro-Arte Concert nylons are the same gauge as the 4 top strings of EJ45, and the Tenor nylons are the same gauge as EJ46 (Hard Tension).

And I think that most uke players that prefer a wide neck really have a preference for greater string spacing. Like if you gave them a 38mm neck with a 26mm string spacing they would be very unhappy.
This is not quite what I meant. I think it's a little deeper than that. If I ever go to a ukulele club (basically never!), I notice that the most vocal players on the topic (usually the ones who are going to be leading) tend to be ex-guitarists. There is still a mindset amongst many ex-guitarists that a tenor ukulele is basically a toy.

The fact is, the shorter scale length of a soprano does feel cramped if you come from a guitar background. If you don't develop the right form for playing a ukulele, it's going to feel odd moving to a much smaller instrument.

Form matters - being a good guitarist doesn't automatically make you a good ukulele player, and being a good ukulele player doesn't automatically make you a good guitarist. They are very different instruments, and both require different techniques (and arrangements) to make the best of them.

I always tell people they'll grow into a soprano if they give it a chance!

Top Bottom