The Tenor is King

I started on a tenor. At the time, I knew little about ukulele and the size was what the Hawaiian professionals play. Then I ventured into concert and soprano just to find out what the fuss was all about. Fast forward a few years, I came back to the tenor because the way I like to play seems best accommodated by a tenor scale fretboard. I still have just one soprano to cover the base of "the original ukulele sound."

In the end, a musical instrument is just that - something designed to facilitate what you're trying to do with it - whether that something is to play the songs you like in the style you like, or to replicate the sound you're accustomed to hearing the particular song being played.

The qualities people search for in a tenor would make me pick up a guitar. To me, a uke should sound percussive and not have lots of sustain. As to "room for the fingers", it is often because the most vocal ukulele players who play tenor come from the world of the guitar, and bring their poor ukulele form over from decades of playing guitars.

As to professionals not playing soprano, I think you're forgetting that most of the professionals of the first half of the 20th century (when the ukulele wasn't a novelty instrument) tended to play sopranos. Frankly, I don't feel that on the whole modern players are making stuff as interesting as the players of the 1920s. To my mind the best ukulele players on the professional circuit currently play soprano, and more than that they are playing old stuff.

Of course, the real beauty of this is I'm not you, so we can both play whatever instrument we like!

The qualities people search for in a tenor would make me pick up a guitar...

True for me, but when I pick up a guitar, I can't play it. Wish I could.

Although I have most of the ukulele sizes, I tend to play tenor more for it's more guitar-like sound. I do like to hear tin pan alley style and Hawaiian songs on sopranos, though. Guess the uke has something for all of us.

The qualities people search for in a tenor would make me pick up a guitar.
I'm going push back on this a little on the "room for fingers" front in that one of the things I find frustrating about guitar is the narrowness of the neck as it relates to string spacing. One of things I like about ukulele is that the 4 strings allows for more space for my fumbly fingers to move around. And I think that most uke players that prefer a wide neck really have a preference for greater string spacing. Like if you gave them a 38mm neck with a 26mm string spacing they would be very unhappy.

Of course the nice thing is that there are producers that sell concerts and sopranos with wide necks and strong spacing (hi Kanilea!).

I mostly play tenor because I couldn't get the Snail solid body concert for practicing at night and ended up getting a tenor solid body from Makaio and eventually got frustrated bouncing back and forth between concert with my instructor and tenor when I practiced at home, so I picked up another tenor. Otherwise I think I'd probably be doing just concert (currently have 2 tenors and 2 concerts).

I'm going push back on this a little on the "room for fingers" front in that one of the things I find frustrating about guitar is the narrowness of the neck as it relates to string spacing. One of things I like about ukulele is that the 4 strings allows for more space for my fumbly fingers to move around. And I think that most uke players that prefer a wide neck really have a preference for greater string spacing. Like if you gave them a 38mm neck with a 26mm string spacing they would be very unhappy.

Of course the nice thing is that there are producers that sell concerts and sopranos with wide necks and strong spacing (hi Kanilea!).

I mostly play tenor because I couldn't get the Snail solid body concert for practicing at night and ended up getting a tenor solid body from Makaio and eventually got frustrated bouncing back and forth between concert with my instructor and tenor when I practiced at home, so I picked up another tenor. Otherwise I think I'd probably be doing just concert (currently have 2 tenors and 2 concerts).
I am saddened by reviewers (not mentioning names) who complain about not having room on the fretboard for their hands. That is as subjective as color or other features.

I have "short stubby fingers." So having a narrow neck with a smaller nut is great . BUT that's for me. And unless I don't want to make chords I can't comfortably go over say 17" or 17-1/4".

I do enjoy playing and listening to the tenor but to my ears it largely lacks the distinctive ukulele sound. Another poster indicated that they would sooner pick up the guitar at that point, and I tend to agree. So I have sopranos, and when I want a richer voice and longer sustain, I have a guitar.

I also agree, however, that the beauty of the uke is that there are several choices. If someone wants a uke with more richness and sustain, they don't HAVE to go to the guitar, they can pick up a tenor or a baritone. Different tastes make the world go 'round, and happily there's something in the uke world for everyone.

Last edited:
I started with a Harmony Soprano my father in law gave me - my fingers felt cramped trying to play the chords. i bought a couple of tenors, and they were fine, but couldn't play for too long due to the same tendon issues that keep[ me from playing guitar (or Bari uke) for more than 10-15 minutes before the intense pain sets in. I won a Ohana Vita uke, which is slightly longer than a soprano, and it was OK, so back to a shorter Scale. Got a Tenor Sceptre from Smiley at the Ukulele Store in San Jose, and my life changed. Then I commissioned a Concert from Brad Donaldson... Wow!

I play primarily Concert size, but have absolutely no problem switching between Soprano, Concert, and Tenor. I have them all, and love playing all of them

Last edited:
Every time I get a tenor, I end up tuning it DGBE like a baritone.
Something about the scale length and body just doesn't feel right to play in GCEA despite trying hundreds of different string combinations. The uke keeps "telling" me it wants thicker strings and lower tuning.

Thus for GCEA tuning, Sopranos and Concerts are king to me.
Tenor is just a small baritone ukulele.

side note: My baritones "tell" me they like being tuned GCEA a whole octave below :D

I have to say that as much as I like playing tenor size ukulele, it sounds very much not like a guitar, which has sustain for days and a much larger sound, due both to the scale length and overtones generated by not 4 but 6 strings. To my ears, the same holds true when a baritone ukulele is compared to a guitar.

The above said, I get it. The linear tuning that often accompanies a tenor ukulele lends to a playing style that's more similar to a guitar and less the percussionary one that goes well with a soprano ukulele.

I have to say that as much as I like playing tenor size ukulele, it sounds very much not like a guitar, which has sustain for days and a much larger sound, due both to the scale length and overtones generated by not 4 but 6 strings. To my ears, the same holds true when a baritone ukulele is compared to a guitar.

The above said, I get it. The linear tuning that often accompanies a tenor ukulele lends to a playing style that's more similar to a guitar and less the percussionary one that goes well with a soprano ukulele.
Man I completely agree with you!

As someone who has played guitar for years longer than the uke, I don’t get why so many people say “a tenor uke is just basically playing a guitar at that point.” Because it’s just not… Guitars sound and feel much, much different than a uke. The fret sizes are totally different, sustain is way different, playing all metal strings versus maybe 1 wound string, having 6 strings, etc.

I could kind of see the argument that playing baritone is just a chopped off guitar… I used to think that myself but then I got a baritone and realized how fun they are and that they have their own rightful place in the instrument pantheon as their own entity.

Anyways, I’m glad you mentioned that bc I have to roll my eyes pretty much every time someone says “playing a tenor is just basically a guitar at that point” because I don’t agree at all. Listen to Jake jam out (or even a low G player) and then Tommy Emmanuel or Billy Strings do their thing on an acoustic guitar. You’re telling me those instruments sound the same?

You could go for tenor scale guitalele ;)

95% of the time I play the soprano. The other 5% a concert reso.

As Chris667 says all the old time players used the soprano. Look and listen to Roy Smeck, George Formby etc.

I suspect many play the tenor because it is perceived as easier with the longer neck etc.

The purest form of the ukulele is the soprano.

I suspect many play the tenor because it is perceived as easier with the longer neck etc.
Just speaking for myself I can play any scale without any problems. The type of ukulele I play depends on what I think will work better for the song I'm playing. If I want a deeper sound with a wider range of notes I will grab a low G tenor, typically when I'm playing jazz chord melody arrangements. If I want something brighter and snappier sounding I will go for a soprano. I don't have problems with any of the different types of ukes. I play anything from Mandolin which has a very narrow neck to a custom made 10 string bass (5 strings doubled) that has a neck two inches wide.

If “Ukulele Dick” Konter had owned a tenor Martin…. Stay tuned as I’m starting that as a separate thread in a few moments.

Here's my dilemma with the tenor. Early on in my ukulele journey I won a nice tenor at a uke festival. I had been playing mostly concert at that point, and the tenor felt like too much of a stretch for my fingers. I ended up selling the tenor to a friend. I've not been blessed with long, slim, or flexible fingers. Soprano felt too tight, and concert felt the most comfy. Fast forward to 2019 and I get a Cocobolo concert. Cocobolo concerts are 16 inch scale, in between a standard 15 inch scale concert and a 17 inch scale tenor. I love it. Extra space without too much stretch. Perfect. I still have my Moon Bird concert, and going back and forth between the two is easy.

Now I find myself wondering about giving a tenor another try. I play up the neck more these days, and do a lot of chord melody music. Those new 'Oli tenors on TUS are calling out to me. I see that most tenors are 17 inch scale, with some being 17.25 inch. The 'Oli are 16 15/16 inch which I know is really the same as 17, but at least not over 17. Do I spend a chunk of change on an experiment, or be happy with what I have???
I'm 6'1" tall (used to be 6'2" when I was young). My hands require Large to XL gloves, but the fingers are often too long. In other words, I have short fingers. To top that, my pinkies (little fingers) bend towards my middle fingers.

I cannot stretch my fretting hand fingers enough to play certain chords on my tenors. And I can't always get my fingers close to the bottom fret wire to get a clean chord. Sometimes my fingers are in the middle of the fret or towards the top wire of the fret box For example: the 1402 E-chord is not possible. Although after stretching and trying to play it for years, has made it barely possible, I can't do it quickly or easily. In fact, even the 1302 Emaj7 is difficult. I find alternatives to play instead.

I have found that having a low action really helps. Low enough that it only requires an easy touch to make a clean chord. And having higher or medium frets. (Fret wires?) Some are just too low and rounded for me to easily play. I don't mind sacrificing a little volume for ease of play. Without buzzing. The neck shape can help as well.

I've tried concerts and sopranos, even owned a couple and I just don't like them. The concert is a little easier to fret. But the soprano is too cramped. More importantly, I do not like the plinky, harsh sound they make.

So, long live the King...

Last edited:
More importantly, I do not like the plinky, harsh sound they make’

What?
You may as well be playing the guitar.
The plinky sound of the ukulele is the whole point……

I totally agree. when I decided to buy a guitar, I ended getting a classical guitar because of the wider string spacing. Even so, it’s much less than the spac on the wide nut tenors I’m used to playing.

Anyways, I’m glad you mentioned that bc I have to roll my eyes pretty much every time someone says “playing a tenor is just basically a guitar at that point” because I don’t agree at all. Listen to Jake jam out (or even a low G player) and then Tommy Emmanuel or Billy Strings do their thing on an acoustic guitar. You’re telling me those instruments sound the same?
Yeah, it's not a guitar at all! I play tenor ukulele (Low G) in orchestra and I'm in section with 2 classical guitars. The director was surprised because my tenor kind of overpowers them in loudness and stands out with it's distinctive tone, probably helps having it strung with classical guitar strings. And also the way I strum the uke using one or more fingers, hitting only low or high strings etc. gives more sound variety compared to the more linear strumming of classical guitars. So yes, it's much different than a guitar.

I started with soprano, then I got a concert but once I tried the tenor I got hooked. I can play all sizes but I definitely prefer the tenor. I'm used to play guitar and bass so even if I have small hands I have no problem with the tenor.

Top Bottom