Cocobolo and the Ukulele Site

Here is more of Kevin's response that I neglected to post......

"We are thrilled to be working exclusively with The Ukulele Site in Hawaii to handle the sales and marketing of our ukuleles. They do a great job with their pictures, listings, and most importantly, their live demos of each ukulele. They are an amazing group of talented people with a stellar reputation in the ukulele community. We are honored to be working with them."

Personally, I'm just happy that Cocobolo's wonderful ukuleles will still be available. I was so-so on the lottery.... I got my concert on my second try, but failed on a number of other attempts for a long-neck soprano. It was a unique purchase experience for sure. With the addition of a pick-up & shipping, my price on my concert 4 years ago was the same as the current tenors listed on TUS. These really are fantastic looking, fantastic sounding, great bang for your buck, ukuleles. I think the partnership with TUS will serve them well.

Last edited:
Here is the response I got from Kevin. He asked that I share this info so that everyone is up to date.

"For now, we have decided to discontinue our lottery system and sell all of our ukuleles exclusively through TUS. Assuming that it continues to go well, this will continue into the future.

Working with TUS allows us to spend more time on the construction and quality control sides of things, which should help us keep up with demand better and ensure that we maintain a high level of quality. The only downside is that this will increase the price of our ukuleles a little bit, but as you know, our ukuleles are still an excellent value for the money. TUS has an amazing reach throughout the ukulele community, so hopefully this will help offset the price increase."
How exciting for Cocobolo Ukes and the ukulele community in general! One of the top purveyors in the uke industry are now selling these gorgeous ukuleles. Huge props to TUS and Kevin!

A few years ago, they were in demand and winning the lottery often took multiple tries. This past year, it appears that their demand decreased significantly and some were available at a discounted price after most lotteries. This looks like a wonderful solution to keep them busy and in business with less stress trying to sell them.

While I can’t claim to have reviewed all ukuleles, nor to own examples of all of them, my Cocobolo Concert…as a factory second…is one of the best ukuleles I own in terms of build quality, feel, playing experience, and sound.

I’m very happy that they are being carried by The Ukulele Site…which has established itself as the leading store that doesn’t carry anything bad (no insult intended to other great stores, but being in Hawaii does give them that extra edge).

It is a small loss for buyers…the “middle man” will increase the price…but then again, you’ll be buying from a known dealer with to question if your ukulele will arrive (they always did from Cocobolo, but it is different ordering from the US versus internationally).

A few years ago, they were in demand and winning the lottery often took multiple tries. This past year, it appears that their demand decreased significantly and some were available at a discounted price after most lotteries. This looks like a wonderful solution to keep them busy and in business with less stress trying to sell them.
This the reason why the move to TUS is a complete no-brainer for them. There's been some ridiculously good discounts on Cocobolo ukes earlier in the year because they were simply not selling. Discounts and free shipping. Should've probably snatched one myself even though I already have two.

I'm extremely happy for Cocobolo Ukuleles and Kevin, assuming they're able to now sell more ukes more easily through TUS. It's arguably a win for US customers as well since - despite the price increase - you now get a case as a freebie and benefit from TUS quality control and setup, particularly because Cocobolos were usually set up with pretty high action previously. For the rest of the world it's a massive step back. There's really no reason to buy anything from TUS outside the Americas because of importing and crazy shipping costs. It's a shame but I hope the lotteries will continue at some point.

Just for the 'fun' of it: buying this $839 https://theukulelesite.com/cocobolo-tenor-package-564.html tenor from TUS in Europe would cost me $1347.

This is after the $153 shipping, $93 shell inlay export permit, customs fees and VAT.
I don't know how much it was before but paying extra 60% ($509) on top of the uke price does make this pretty much US exclusive, yeah.

It was what some of us surmised. Thanks Raftergirl.

There is a bittersweet note to this. It's another luthier that's decided to have in some ways a wall between them and the public. Other luthiers have done the same. Oh well life goes on.
I don't think I'd call it a wall, more of a conduit. I'm sure he's still open to answering emails. This just completely simplifies and elevates his marketing and distribution. And to have Corey and Kalei showcasing his instruments? I think it's a great move.

Just for the 'fun' of it: buying this $839 https://theukulelesite.com/cocobolo-tenor-package-564.html tenor from TUS in Europe would cost me $1347.

This is after the $153 shipping, $93 shell inlay export permit, customs fees and VAT.
I don't know how much it was before but paying extra 60% ($509) on top of the uke price does make this pretty much US exclusive, yeah.
Pretty much same to Canada. If there wasn't shell inlay, we'd not be hit with the export permit fee, but yeah, shipping, import duties, exchange rate... But none of this would be different if it came directly from Nicaragua (ok maybe no export permit?). I'd still be paying in USD, have import duties, and expensive shipping. So I don't really see that it makes a huge difference from MY perspective, but I do see it could make a huge difference to the Cocobolo Ukulele company: TUS seems to me to be a great partner for them, especially if it means they can focus on the making and not the selling/distribution.

Yeah directly from Nicaragua might not be too different, I was more comparing to the idea of supplying some other stores in Europe instead of being exclusive but I do understand that is a lot of hassle instead of having one seller and it is not worth it if TUS can move when they supply.

Pretty much same to Canada. If there wasn't shell inlay, we'd not be hit with the export permit fee, but yeah, shipping, import duties, exchange rate... But none of this would be different if it came directly from Nicaragua (ok maybe no export permit?). I'd still be paying in USD, have import duties, and expensive shipping. So I don't really see that it makes a huge difference from MY perspective, but I do see it could make a huge difference to the Cocobolo Ukulele company: TUS seems to me to be a great partner for them, especially if it means they can focus on the making and not the selling/distribution.
Yeah directly from Nicaragua might not be too different, I was more comparing to the idea of supplying some other stores in Europe instead of being exclusive but I do understand that is a lot of hassle instead of having one seller and it is not worth it if TUS can move when they supply.

But here's the thing, it does make some difference, quite significant infact. Yes, you had to pay VAT and import when buying directly from Nicaragua but
1) you had cheaper shipping costs ($99 world wide)
2) you didn't have the ridiculous shell/abalone permit (which, I might add, is purely US specific since MOP isn't even included in CITES)
3) you didn't have the overhead of a retail store, i.e., the ukes were cheaper compared to the listing prices at TUS

I'll reiterate that I'm really happy for Cocobolo Ukuleles that they've managed to get on TUS but I'm of the opinion that uke buyers outside the US are getting completely shafted. I really hope they'll return to the lottery system or find other retail stores elsewhere once the US market has been saturated by their ukes

I wish I had the capacity/ability to also learn baritone uke.
The super baritone is just majestic:

I ordered a Custom ukulele from Cocobolo at the end of November 2023 right after the agreement between TUS and Cocobolo. I'd been in email conversation with Kevin since July 2023. I wanted a 16-1/2" short body tenor. The instrument is their "super-tenor" body with the scooch shorter tenor neck. I'm waiting for the final invoice and then it's off to me.

The pictures Kevin emailed to me are below - I hope he sends a picture with the full front.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240322_223456_AOL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_223456_AOL.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240322_223446_AOL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240322_223446_AOL.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I ordered a Custom ukulele from Cocobolo at the end of November 2024 right after the agreement between TUS and Cocobolo. I'd been in email conversation with Kevin since July 2023. I wanted a 16-1/2" short body tenor. The instrument is their "super-tenor" body with the scooch shorter tenor neck. I'm waiting for the final invoice and then it's off to me.

The pictures Kevin emailed to me are below - I hope he sends a picture with the full front.
Nice, but can I borrow your time machine? ;)

Seriously though, I'm still a bit bummed that these ukes are still basically TUS exclusives. Maybe one could still order customs directly from them?

I agree. It was the TUS exclusive that had me finally move even though personally it was very, very bad timing. I wonder if you wanted something not typically offered whether you could go directly to Cocobolo? For instance there hasn't been any concerts or sopranos.

Although with TUS I wouldn't have to worry about Customs and the case would be automatically included. Both of which are advantages.

I agree. It was the TUS exclusive that had me finally move even though personally it was very, very bad timing. I wonder if you wanted something not typically offered whether you could go directly to Cocobolo? For instance there hasn't been any concerts or sopranos.

Although with TUS I wouldn't have to worry about Customs and the case would be automatically included. Both of which are advantages.
Me personally? I'd just want the same possibility to order from Cocobolo directly. Their ukes being TUS exclusive makes them way too expensive for anyone outside North America because of ridiculous shipping costs and for the fact that I'd still have to pay VAT and import anyway.

Although now that I thought about it, I'd kill for a cedar topped Cocobolo uke. I know there are a few of those out there. Maybe one day I'll commission one if possible.

Although now that I thought about it, I'd kill for a cedar topped Cocobolo uke. I know there are a few of those out there. Maybe one day I'll commission one if possible.
I have one...a cedar-topped Cocobolo Concert. It's a lovely instrument, both in sound and appearance, although I wouldn't mind having a tenor version of the same combination.

I ordered a Custom ukulele from Cocobolo at the end of November 2024 right after the agreement between TUS and Cocobolo. I'd been in email conversation with Kevin since July 2023. I wanted a 16-1/2" short body tenor. The instrument is their "super-tenor" body with the scooch shorter tenor neck. I'm waiting for the final invoice and then it's off to me.

I miss the frequent email offerings about the lotteries for Cocobolos. Not that I want another one, but it was interesting to see them and then see the winners. On two occasions, I knew people who had won.

I miss the frequent email offerings about the lotteries for Cocobolos. Not that I want another one, but it was interesting to see them and then see the winners. On two occasions, I knew people who had won.
Your name was the first one I looked for :)

While listening to a podcast on South American cartels, migration , et al, the journo mentioned the various woods and their value being sold by poaching cartels and cocobolo wood was the most valuable.

I must admit however, I really like the sound of the cocoblo baritone and am watching for the right one to show up...must have 35mm nut width!

I had a chance to play the cocobolo baritone and compared it to the anuenue moon bird baritone at HMS. I liked the anuenue more. But taste is subjective.

Top Bottom