Have you ever given a Uke to someone else?

I bought an odd shaped piece of Koa on Ebay last year. I made the seller a ridiculously low offer and included a note that said I wanted to make a ukulele out of the wood. The seller explained that her husband had recently died. He grew up in Hawaii and held on to that piece of Koa for 60 years, thinking he would build a ukulele someday. She accepted my low offer because she was happy to hear the Koa would ultimately become a ukulele. When the uke was finished, I gave it to her.
Big W there, well done.

I have given a couple of tenor ukes I built to family members. When school starts up again I am planning to donate a couple more of my older tenors to a youth music program.

No...stringed instruments are personal. I might someday gift someone a new one but I would never give my own away.

Absolutely. I recently gave an Enya Mini Coco (same as their soprano Mini U only painted in kiddy colors) to my grandson. He's on the spectrum. He likes me to put the tuner on it and hold it for him while he plucks the strings and watches the tuner display change. He also notices when I finger the string to change the note while he plays, so he is getting the idea of how to make the sound change. He's still to little to actually play - he's four and has very small hands and some dyspraxia - but its an activity we can do together that he enjoys and is musical. He loves music.

I caught him trying to sneak into my uke bag the other day to get the tuner. When I get my new uke in a couple of days, it also comes with a tuner and I don't need 2. So I'll give one to my son to use with my grandson. To be safe. I'm not sure he couldn't get the battery out if he tried. Better if he has to ask Daddy for it when he wants it.

Lately I've been buying cheap but decent ukes on gw, to set/fix up/restring and give away, esp on vacations and business trips... I get to practice my set ups and have a uke when traveling but don't have to tote it back home...

I keep a rotating stock of Enya Nova Minis. I give them away to friends, coworkers, or their kids who show interest. I just replenish when they go on sale

Yes. I've given away my bamboo tenor & a Kala a/e tenor. Both went to acquaintances who wanted to learn. That was enough for me.

I gave a few tenors to a friend. I gave a soprano to another friend. I gave a soprano to somebody on this board for their class. I gave a soprano to each of my kids.

Three years ago I had surgery and the Drs said I may never play Uke again, cause they cut my left arm up to get a piece of bone to fix my Skull. Well I had a nine Uke collection and lots of Nephews, so I gave my two sopranios to the two youngest 5 & 8 yer olds Grand nephews, a Concert to my 20 yer old nephew, and a Tenor to my older 21year old nephew. I also gave a Guitarlele that I couldn't play to my Nieces Husband and father of my Grand Nephews.

Well after two months and a lot of pain, I was able to chord again and used the uke to regain flexibility in my fingers. I still don't play as much as before but I'm trying to play every day.

So far they have all learned to play at least a little and next Thanksgiving at my niece's annual dinner I'll try to get them all together to play and record a video. I'm thinking to play the Beatles, "With a little help from my Friends" which isn't to hard or to much of a stretch to sing would be good.

So I'm happy to have given the gift of music to my family and love of the Uke as well.

Yes. I gave a kit uke I built to a friend for her grandson. He didn't continue with it, though. Now, at age 9, he can play the trumpet, sax, clarinet, and trombone. He's not a musician yet, but he can play all those instruments comfortably.

Yes. I gave a kit uke I built to a friend for her grandson. He didn't continue with it, though. Now, at age 9, he can play the trumpet, sax, clarinet, and trombone. He's not a musician yet, but he can play all those instruments comfortably.

If he can play music, then he's a musician.

10 years ago I stoped buying or trading and started selling off my 50+ ukuleles. Some I could have kept, but logic prevailed. The sharp rise in Postal rates prevented sales of the inexpensive ones. I still had over 30. I started giving them away during local ukulele gatherings. It is a rewarding experience, the feed back is the payoff.
It feels good to know they are now being played rather than hanging around while I play the keepers.

I just sent 4 sopranos to a fellow online teacher who teaches kids to play in Miami.. they were all historic pieces and I love the idea that the kids will be trying ukes with so much history..

Yes! My first uke I bought during the pandemic. Ranch Concert to my cousin. He is a saxophone player that was taking a break b/c of health issues.

I MIGHT have . . .

Several years ago I took up the ukulele and it was an absolute disaster. I tried for six weeks to learn to play, but had a complete brain-freeze and couldn't remember a single chord - so I gave up. Shortly after that, my ukulele just seemd to disappear. To this day I can't remember if I sold it, traded it or just gave it away . . . .
Glad you recovered. I thoroughly enjoyed your promo CD, especially “She Hates My Ukulele”.

After a minor rehab that included a new paint job, new bridge, nut slot filing and a set of aNueNue strings, I gave a Famous FU120 pineapple uke to my fiddle playing son for his 30th birthday.
1711415143106.jpeg

Top Bottom