Is "cowboy chords" a derogatory term?

Do you think "cowboy chords" is a derogatory term, or is it just a description?

• Yes, it's derogatory/condescending

• No, it's just shorthand for first position chords

Results are only viewable after voting.
I didn't vote because both options are true. I've never heard cowboy chords as a ukulele term tho' , just guitar, just steel string acoustic guitar.

I'll be honest. I think it is derogatory. 'First position chords' is a neutral descriptive term (although you could say it with a sneer which would turn it ugly). But cowboy chord or campfire chord evokes music that is merely good enough for the situation even though we all know that those first position chords make some of the best music. I have only heard people use the term of themselves in a self-deprecatory manner. I have thought it, but never said it out loud because it does seem a bit much. But perhaps I am over sensitive. I also never thank servicepeople for their service because to me it sounds sarcastic coming out of my mouth. To me it sounds like "thanks for doing the job you chose of your own volition and for which you have been paid." So maybe it is a personal thing. Maybe someone else could say it but in my mind's eye cowboy chord always sounds judgy.

Interesting. I have never meant it that way - some of my favourite music was done with nothing else. John Prine is one of my musical heroes - he always said if he was writing a song and it had more than five chords he'd start again.

I won't use it again. Thanks for the feedback.
Billy Joel generally walked that same road.

I don't think it is at all derogatroy, and when/if I use it regarding myself, I am NOT using it "self-derogatorily".

As for thanking service staff, I do it all the time. I just say "thank you". No need for awkward, artificial, flowery "thank you for your service" type stuff. Just "thanks", like one human being to another. Whether or not they are "getting paid", thanks is just ... nice.

Apparently there is.

I certainly never knew. From the article:

"More than anything, it captures a feeling, a sort of fearless presentation of itself. As if it were saying, “This is who I am, this is where I came from, and I’m not afraid to share it.”

(Follow the link at the bottom for many references to Pianola...)

Last edited:
'Cowboy chords' sounds fine. 'First position chords' sounds elitist. Stick to your guns. I swear these overly sensitive people are turning me into a grumpy old man. Now get off my lawn!

But cowboy chord or campfire chord evokes music that is merely good enough for the situation
I don't know how I feel about campfire music only being "good enough for the situation".

I spent years taking lessons and as part of that I learned a lot of technical/fingerstyle stuff. I had it perfect for a while. I never play it now because most of my playing is with other people and I want to use my playing to augment what they do rather than show everyone how good I am. Put it another way - if you are good, you don't need to tell people how good you are.

Campfire singing where everyone is participating is far and away a better experience for performer and audience than watching a virtuoso, IMO. But YMMV. That's a lot of acronyms.

Last edited:
Hello folks.

I was talking to someone yesterday and described simple, first position chords as "cowboy chords" after discussing a chord that was hard to play (Bdim, if you're interested, which is a proper knucklebuster). I was saying that in order to play them you really need to think about your wider form generally.

This person said I was being eltist. I apologised immediately - it was never my intention to imply that some things aren't accessible to anyone. I was just talking about chords. To my mind being elitist would be saying "this is not for you", but what I tried to say was "this is what you need otherwise you'll find it hard to learn this". Not the end of the world - you will offend people by accident all the time unless you say nothing at all - but I don't want to offend anyone so I won't use the term again.

I thought "cowboy chords" was just a name used to describe the first position chords that everyone learned first (C, F, G). If someone asks me how to play something, I will say it's just the cowboy chords and the key.

So, that's my question, hive mind. What do you think?
The word "chord" doesn't offend me at all. However, I think "sparkling fairy dust" is a more appropriate term.

I played guitar for almost 50 years, then ukulele for over 10 years, never heard that term before.

I agree...just a "generic" term for stuff on the first 3 frets...maybe slanted toward guitarspeak or baritonese but not offensive in any way.

I’ve never heard people say “cowboy chords” in a ukulele context, but amongst guitar players I’ve seen it used as a somewhat condescending description of players who use simple open chords and don’t play complex jazzy chords is solo up the neck. I don’t think it’s exclusively negative per se, just depends on how you use it. Plenty of incredible music has been made with simple “cowboy chords.”

I also notice this thing with guitar players where they think only complicated Polyphia level stuff is “real” playing. The reality is the general public doesn’t care much for insane shredding or complicated jazz chords and prefers the sound of simple, tastefully played guitar 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not hating on jazz or anything, but it reminds me of the old joke: pop is playing 4 chords to thousands of fans and jazz is playing thousands of chords to 4 fans

@Uke with Smitty

Well that's bebop. I don't particularly care for that branch of jazz, and I'm a jazz fan. A little goes a long way. Can't stand Branford Marsalis. I mean he is obviously technically excellent but I don't need to be beat over the head with his technical expertise. I like jazz MUSIC. Not jazz TECHNIQUE. Some bebop ends up sounding very discordant as they just seem to noodle around at supersonic speed, but with no discernible theme.

Some "jazz" fans think bebop is the only jazz form, nothing else is really jazz to them. If you don't like it you are apt to get a response along the lines of "well you just don't have the INTELLECTUAL CAPACITY to appreciate it". LOL! Way worse than "cowboy chords".

One guy asked me what kind of jazz I DID like, and I responded with "most forms, from the beginning to now, especially swing and big band from the 30s/40s".

"That's not jazz", he said, referring to swing and big band. "That's DANCE MUSIC!"

OMG. Like its not ALLOWED to dance to jazz. I mean where does he think it came from.

MrKlippies mentioned "Canucks". I'm a Canuck and have never felt insulted by that word, in fact it's a regular part of my vocabulary. I'm more apt to describe myself as a Canuck than I am a Canadian. I've most often interpreted it as a term of endearment.​

As far as "cowboy chords," I suppose it would depend on the context/genre/style. Certain folky-type songs seem to sound better when played with first position chords with open strings that ring out. Swing songs seem to sound better with closed chords, that can be muted more easily.​

"This song would sound better played with cowboy chords," would not be insulting, while, "All he can play are cowboy chords," might be. (Although, "All he can play are first position open string chords," is no better.)​

Last edited:
I’ve never heard people say “cowboy chords” in a ukulele context, but amongst guitar players I’ve seen it used as a somewhat condescending description of players who use simple open chords and don’t play complex jazzy chords is solo up the neck. I don’t think it’s exclusively negative per se, just depends on how you use it. Plenty of incredible music has been made with simple “cowboy chords.”

I also notice this thing with guitar players where they think only complicated Polyphia level stuff is “real” playing. The reality is the general public doesn’t care much for insane shredding or complicated jazz chords and prefers the sound of simple, tastefully played guitar 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not hating on jazz or anything, but it reminds me of the old joke: pop is playing 4 chords to thousands of fans and jazz is playing thousands of chords to 4 fans

I actually love shred, prog metal and all that showy stuff, but as I've grown older, I've come to appreciate the simple things I turned my nose up to when I was younger.

Also, the uke sound is already pretty high up vs the deeper sound of the guitar, so if you like that sound, you're relegated to that area of the fretboard in terms of chord voicings.

Top Bottom