Barring seems impossible :(

Have you tried positioning your finger up or down (so that it protrudes more or less and different parts of the finger are on the four strings)? With different ukuleles, I have to sometimes move into different spots to get rid of the muffled notes.

Also, it is easier to start barring on the fifth fret to decrease the string tension, especially if the action toward the nut is high. So experiment here before barring on the first few frets, including the Bb.

Have you tried positioning your finger up or down (so that it protrudes more or less and different parts of the finger are on the four strings)? With different ukuleles, I have to sometimes move into different spots to get rid of the muffled notes.

Also, it is easier to start barring on the fifth fret to decrease the string tension, especially if the action toward the nut is high. So experiment here before barring on the first few frets, including the Bb.
Holy s*** this was it. I just have to lift my hand and lower the finger. I can even Barre the first fret on my tenor! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

IDK I still have trouble with the E being partially muted. I think part of it is I just need to build up the muscles, but I also don't think I fully have the technique down.

I had it for a while, and then I took a break and now I can't do it again. :/

Sometimes one string finds itself in the crease of your finger by the joint, and becomes muted. The E string could be prone to that. Experimenting more with barre finger placement to get the joints between strings is probably better than using more force.

I have been barring for about 6 months. I really struggled at first. After I bought a second uke I noticed my barring sounded much better on the better uke. I have been practicing the version of “Creep” that only uses barres and my stamina is improving. It was tough to get through 2 verses before and after a couple months I can almost finish the song. I need to work on my speed switching into a barre, but they sound decent enough when I get on the strings.

Try this, put your finger tip and thumb together like you're going to pinch something. Slide your thumb tip toward the knuckle of your finger tip. Place the ukulele neck between the thumb and finger. That's how you should position your fingers to barr.

This trick works on guitar with higher tension and a wider board, so I am sure it can help for ukulele. You want to use the weight of your left hand and arm to put pressure on the string. The strength doesn't come from gripping the neck within your hand, like not between your thumb and fingers. That sort of playing gives me major hand cramps. Pull back with your entire left arm, kind of like when your right arm pushes the ukulele body toward your chest. Just enough to put pressure on the barre chord, not hard enough to move the whole instrument.

Also bandages on your index finger can help.

Hope you’re getting better at barre chords. I am struggling too. I get the premise of barring all of the strings, or barring strings 1 & 2 or strings 1, 2 & 3, because your finger only goes over the strings you’re barring, however, the D barre chord, where you need to barre strings 2, 3 & 4, reaching your finger over string 1 but keeping it an open string seems like utter madness!

Lots of good advice at --> 34:25 to 47:45
Indeed! Also, don't forget you can use one finger to add weight to the barring finger; almost like "crossing your fingers". I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but, a radiused fret board helped me getting more effective with barring chords. And in OP's post about a "low g concert" @kkimura recommended the Enya nova uke to OP which indeed has a radiused fret board.

This HMS Podcast Ep has Craig and Sarah talking a bunch with the gents about ergonomics and even some instrument setup. It's a great listen!
I bookmarked a pretty starting point, but the whole ep is good!

I like how he says using a strap causes a lot of problems. Also, don't squeeze with your thumb. Use your right arm pressure instead. Aaron's video on the UU YouTube channel says the same thing.

Couple thoughts.

1. STRETCH! Don't overwork your fingers and wrist. Give them a break. Stretch. And don't overdo it. Good stretches and regular playing will get you there, it just takes time.

2. "The right way" isn't necessarily the way that works for you. If your fighting tendonitis and muscle issues, "the right way" just might not work for you. Might not work for you anyway, just due to your own personal physiology. Do what works for you!

It took me a long time to master Bb (same shape as the B you're talking about), but now that I have, I love it! Very easy way to slide from Bb to B, C and beyond. BUT, I don't barre that shape. (I just checked and found that I "can", didn't used to be able to) What I do instead is index finger on E, middle finger on A, ring finger on C and pinky on G. I used to have to really THINK about getting my fingers into that position, but with lots of practice, it's natural now and it works for me!

There are a lot of things that a lot of people do in non-standard ways. Reaching around and grabbing the G string with the thumb is supposed to be bad form on uke... it seems that people who have guitar experience do it all the time! Hooking the neck in the crook of your thumb rather than putting the thumb behind the neck is supposed to be "the way". But, my fingers like doing it the wrong way, and it works for me.

Don't let "proper technique" get in the way of having fun! Do what works for you. And as your muscles and tendons get used to playing uke, you can always go back and try what was difficult or impossible before.

And if you flat out CAN'T play a particular chord, find an alternate!

I can barre without using the thumb whatsoever. I do this by using "heavy hand" technique. instead of pressing more and more aggressively into the fretboard and the neck with your thumb, just think of your fretting hand as being heavy and wanting to fall to the ground because of gravity. So slightly assist gravity by letting your hand drop towards the floor but resist the motion with your fingertips. Essentially you'll be pulling down instead of pressing inward. It works wonders for me.

I have two ukuleles. An Aklot Soprano (Aquila nylgut) and an Enya Nova low G tenor (D'Addario fluorocarbon). I'm practicing on both, but primarily the soprano for now. I don't really know how to tell if the action is too high. The soprano is very low tension, I don't think lowering it more would help any.

I've been at it for a few hours and I've done it successfully like a couple times. Everyone says you don't need to press hard, but I don't know what else to do. It doesn't work either way. The E is always muted. One of the tutorials said to put the crook of your knuckle between the strings, but it doesn't seem to help any. I have small hands and very long fingers. Could the unusually long fingers be the problem?

I also have a fairly severe tremor in my hands, which obviously makes everything harder.
i think Christopher suggests a technique to check the action. Put a playing card under the strings near the nut and if it stays then the action is fine. I think I got that correct.I don't want to share any wrong information.

Top Bottom