New Uke Day (NUD) Finally got a Curly Sinker Redwood / Rosewood Concert Ukulele (Ohana CK-42E)

SkeeterAB

Reaction score
I posted in the fall looking for a rare curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele from Ohana (CK-42E), but did not have any luck. Apparently there were only about two dozen ever made. I kept searching at least every other day since then. Some very kind UU members gave me tips on trying to find one. Badhabits sent me tip for one on sale FMM March 4th, but by the time I found out that FMM stood for Flea Market Music it was already gone.

Yesterday I drove to Sheffield, Massachusetts (coincidentally also home of Magic Fluke Co.) to pick up my curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele (5 hour round trip). Thank you so much JDP for reaching out to me and selling it to me! It was also great to meet another UU member in person.

I saw pictures of the curly redwood version before, but pictures do not do justice to the beauty of the wood. It is breathtaking in person. I knew I would love the sound because I have been playing a non-curly sinker redwood/rosewood version (CK-42) that I bought from another member in November. It has a full sound that is brighter than cedar, but not as bright as spruce. I have never played a low G before, but this ukulele was strung with some brown low G strings and it sounds deep and warm.

JDP asked about my remark in a prior post that I wanted this ukulele for partly sentimental reasons, so I thought that I would share my reasons here as well. I know that this is a long post so if you skip the rest of the text and go to the pictures, don't worry, you are not missing anything ukulele related ;)

I was very close to my paternal grandparents. They both loved the outdoors and the mountains of Colorado where I grew up. They also loved beautiful figured wood.

My grandfather grew up poor in northern California near the redwood forests. In the depression, his family could not afford food for all the children so he went off to the woods (about age 12) and lived in a group with adults who looked out for him. He eventually lied about his age (stating he was older) and became a lumberjack to help his family.

It is possible that some of this sinker redwood was floating down the river or had just sunk to the bottom of the river at the time my grandfather was a lumberjack. I know that he and my grandmother would absolutely love the look of the wood. When I play this ukulele, I will remember them.

IMG_1198.jpgIMG_1201.jpgIMG_1199.jpgIMG_1203.jpg

Last edited:
I posted in the fall looking for a rare curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele from Ohana (CK-42E), but did not have any luck. Apparently there were only about two dozen ever made. I kept searching at least every other day since then. Some very kind UU members gave me tips on trying to find one. Badhabits sent me tip for one on sale FMM March 4th, but by the time I found out that FMM stood for Flea Market Music it was already gone.

Yesterday I drive to Sheffield, Massachusetts (coincidentally also home of Magic Fluke Co.) to pick up my curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele (5 hour round trip). Thank you so much JDP for reaching out to me and selling it to me! It was also great to meet another UU member in person.

I saw pictures of the curly redwood version before, but pictures do not do justice to the beauty of the wood. It is breathtaking in person. I knew I would love the sound because I have been playing a non-curly sinker redwood/rosewood version (CK-42) that I bought from another member in November. It has a full sound that is brighter than cedar, but not as bright as spruce. I have never played a low G before, but this ukulele was strung with some brown low G strings and it sounds deep and warm.

JDP asked about my remark in a prior post that I wanted this ukulele for partly sentimental reasons, so I thought that I would share my reasons here as well. I know that this is a long post so if you skip the rest of the text and go to the pictures, don't worry, you are not missing anything ukulele related ;)

I was very close to my paternal grandparents. They both loved the outdoors and the mountains of Colorado where I grew up. They also loved beautiful figured wood.

My grandfather grew up poor in northern California near the redwood forests. In the depression, his family could not afford food for all the children so he went off to the woods (about age 12) and lived in a group with adults who looked out for him. He eventually lied about his age (stating he was older) and became a lumberjack to help his family.

It is possible that some of this sinker redwood was floating down the river or had just sunk to the bottom of the river at the time my grandfather was a lumberjack. I know that he and my grandmother would absolutely love the look of the wood. When I play this ukulele, I will remember them.
Pictures or it ain't so...

Beautiful! Great story about your grandparents.

I can see why you wanted one of those so badly, it is absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations on finding a lifetime keeper and play it in good health.

Congratulations on completing your journey to a dream. There are so many reasons that each of us might have for wanting something beautiful and sentimental, yours is a wonderful one.
I’m especially glad you found your amazing instrument because it made it possible for me to become the recipient of your first sinker Redwood/Rosewood concert!
Congratulations and thank you!

Such a beautiful and special uke, congratulations!

Yesterday I drive to Sheffield, Massachusetts (coincidentally also home of Magic Fluke Co.) to pick up my curly sinker redwood/rosewood ukulele (5 hour round trip). Thank you so much JDP for reaching out to me and selling it to me! It was also great to meet another UU member in person.

View attachment 168858View attachment 168859View attachment 168860View attachment 168861

Too beautiful!

What a great story. Your grandfather sounds like a determined person with a lot of stories to tell.

That's a wonderful connection to him and his efforts to help the family.

Your Ohana is amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Awesome story! I am a BIG Redwood as a top fan myself... I have two Baritones with Redwood tops. Eric Devine states a Redwood Top is best laminated...

All the best with it and ENJOY it yourself and enjoy spreading Aloha with it to others :)

Wow that’s a real stunner. And a great story to go with it!

That looks amazing! Glad you finally got your "holy grail" uke.

Top Bottom