What is an unpopular/controversial opinion you have regarding the ukulele?

Most ukulele players are "seniors" and us youngsters feel a little out of place in ukulele clubs where they are all in their 50's or 60's that do plain boring strumming so we don't go
🫣
Because everyone else is furiously strumming away, there's no reason that you have to follow the crowd. I know, sometimes it feels like you're getting run over by a freight train. However, you can finger pick, use different voicings, play counter melody or strum differently. It doesn't have to be boring. Some in my groups come up with really interesting variations.

Last edited:
Sometimes when I see a picture of someone playing a fretted instrument, my first thought is, "That is hilarious! This must be some sort of parody or something." But then I realize, "oh wait--that's just a normal sized guitar." 😅
We had some family friends gift us a guitar that their daughter didn't use anymore because "it's too small for her now" and when they brought it out to us I literally couldn't stop laughing at the idea that it was "too small" for a 13 year old. Pictured here next to my tenor.

Attachments

• PXL_20230905_032703056.jpg
    PXL_20230905_032703056.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 21
Most ukulele players are "seniors" and us youngsters feel a little out of place in ukulele clubs where they are all in their 50's or 60's that do plain boring strumming so we don't go
🫣
Ooo that is controversial.

I’ve just realised that Uke groups don’t need to be inclusive 😮 (shock); mostly they seem to be inclusive but when not then just jam with folk who like what you like.

🫣
50's or 60's might be too young to fit into our group. Unless you mean their music.

OK here goes:

I prefer thinner necks and smaller nut widths such as 1-3/8." And I'm disappointed with the movement towards 1-1/2" wider nuts.

I like the more strings the merrier such as 8 String and even Harp Ukuleles (although I don't have one - but I can dream).

Plus I now like guitalele and play it as a harp type ukulele.

And I like all different tones but also like really deep and mellow and am interested in doing octave lower. Although I cherish my sopranos which I enjoy playing with more ease.

OK I got that off my chest.:)

Carbon fiber and composites are just as good as wood.

And if I had a Mark VI sax, I would get it re-laquered.

OK I know that second one is not ukelele related. But saying it on a sax forum would ... well it would be Very Very Bad and Scary. Just had to let it out ...

🫣
Hey, I'm in my 50's and I don't care for the clubs either. Fifty people trying to strum (usually the same five chords) in unison and sing at the same time just feels like noise to me (just saying. . .). That said, I've met some ukulele buddies at clubs who are really into fingerstyle playing (no singing) and that has led to some great friendships and jams. I agree with a prior poster that you should start your own club (just don't call it a club) and try to attract younger folk (The Ukulele Experience).

Playing fingerstyle doesn't necessarily make someone a better player than one who strums.
I'll put a spin on this one and say that a rigid repeated fingerstyle pattern is as "X" as a rigid repeated strum pattern.

"X" = whatever negative adjective you feel or wish
(and yes I am/have been guilty of both) 😚😊

I'm not sure how to put this without sounding whiny or negative...but I'd like to see more experimental or avant garde ukulelists.

Happy upbeat 3 chord stuff is not bad - it is just not the only thing on the emotional spectrum.

Vomit up some rage. Sing me a creepy song about ghosts or werewolves. Or perhaps a somber and reverent Slavic hymn.

Ukeleles are just wanna be guitars!

runs and hides

(not what I actually think, just something controversial to throw out there)

I'm not sure how to put this without sounding whiny or negative...but I'd like to see more experimental or avant garde ukulelists.

Happy upbeat 3 chord stuff is not bad - it is just not the only thing on the emotional spectrum.

Vomit up some rage. Sing me a creepy song about ghosts or werewolves. Or perhaps a somber and reverent Slavic hymn.
Working on this kind of stuff right now. I've written things like this before, but never for ukulele

Check out some of Feng E’s videos. I wouldn’t necessarily classify him as experimental or avant garde, but the kid definitely strays far from the 3 chord stuff. The following video is from his visit to The Ellen Degeneres Show. You can bypass the interview part by fast forwarding to the 3:05 minute mark, where his performance begins. He was 11 at the time.

I pretty much only play punk covers on the uke, and two of my favorite songs to play are NOFX's The Man I Killed (which is about the futility of assassinating a president) and Millencolin's Bullion (which is about depression). And while some punk songs are just (to borrow an expression from country music) "three chords and the truth", most of the songs I play have 5-8 chords, which often surprises and frustrates people when they discover that not every punk song is F-C-G (or F-C, I'm looking at you, Social Distortion, ahem).

As for creepy, the psychobilly (punk+rockabilly) subgenre pretty much has that covered. I know a few songs by Tiger Army (Knife's Edge is a good one, and I like Candy Ghosts even though it is actually kind of a happy creepy song), and I've been working on a single-instrument arrangement of The Nekromantix classic Nekrofilia.

Top Bottom