Meditation

Started Transcendental Meditation in the early 70's & kept meditating twice a day until around 2000. A few of my friends & relatives started taking it after they saw a change in me (increased calmness). Now I only occasionally meditate when I feel stressed.

Overall it was a positive experience.

Off and on. Should be more regular about it & have some library books on hold in hopes that they’ll help me get back to a regular routine.

I've thought about it.
Yeah, same here. I look at stuff on Pinterest a lot, and I got a book yesterday. It‘s reading pretty well. I’ve tried it a few times during the last week, and it does seem relaxin’ and restful.

I’m following Thich Nhat Hanh a Buddhist monk (deceased).

I heard it said that it’s easy to be a holy man on the top of a mountain.
The Buddha walked amongst us.
And perhaps so should we.

Thanks Jim, and ampeep, and Joyful. And Eggs, and how long do you usually meditate?
If people are around I ask them to limit me to an hour, else I can usually last a bit longer, then joints start to hurt.
In the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna explains to Arjuna that the mind is like a candle blowing in the wind and difficult to control, but with discipline it can be done.
He further explains thoughts are like clouds scurrying- let them form then let them go! I began meditating by visualizing those clouds and after lots of practice (and discipline) my mind cleared- I was literally standing in the emptiness and the quiet of my mind. Darkness, quiet and the desire to never leave.

I’m afraid I don’t get your point. One can meditate anywhere anytime — right?
Yup, it’s easy alone on a mountain top. A little more distracting in the middle of Times Square while carrying on with your daily routine.

I really appreciate hearing from all of you. I‘m trying to learn and very interested. My daughter is interested too. Thanks to all of you.

I tried to sit cross legged this afternoon — almost broke my left, arthritic hip and had agonizing pain on the sides of my feet. Maybe I’d better use a chair.

And, kkimura, I’m still smiling . . .

While it’s not a traditional method, playing my harp is meditative for me. The ringing strings soothe my soul and leave me in a peaceful state of mind.

While it’s not a traditional method, playing my harp is meditative for me. The ringing strings soothe my soul and leave me in a peaceful state of mind.
That sounds nice. Sometimes, when I’m playing tunes out of my mind, it is very soothing.

Have been contemplating putting time into it in these recent times.

I really appreciate hearing from all of you. I‘m trying to learn and very interested. My daughter is interested too. Thanks to all of you.

I tried to sit cross legged this afternoon — almost broke my left, arthritic hip and had agonizing pain on the sides of my feet. Maybe I’d better use a chair.

And, kkimura, I’m still smiling . . .

I almost always sit in a chair, though sometimes I lay on the floor. Golden Retriever gets too involved if I'm on the floor though! o_O Using free guided mediation apps is an easy way to start. You can choose the length of time you want to meditate for and then there will be an array of topics to meditate on. I would recommend starting small and then increasing once you've made it a habit. Right now I'm using the Insight Timer app.

I almost always sit in a chair, though sometimes I lay on the floor. Golden Retriever gets too involved if I'm on the floor though! o_O Using free guided mediation apps is an easy way to start. You can choose the length of time you want to meditate for and then there will be an array of topics to meditate on. I would recommend starting small and then increasing once you've made it a habit. Right now I'm using the Insight Timer app.
I did about 7 minutes (in my chair) last night. I’m amazed how busy my mind was in that time.

Top Bottom