To Keep, or Not to Keep?

Would you keep it?

• Yes

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
The Outdoor (and Martin for that matter) is a keeper. I’m pretty judicious about using plastic objects in my life (you’re looking at someone who makes their own toothpaste so I don’t have to dispose of a plastic tube), but a lot of thought and effort went into acquiring it. I like to have a uke that I don’t have to worry about in a leaky tent, canoe, at the beach, with a friend’s toddler, etc. It won’t go to waste :)
Sorry to hear that but somewhere, sometime there’s a dinosaur smiling. 😊

I'm not one to ask. I sold one uke years ago - a MP Tenor Body Concert and I still regret it. I'm with @kissing - one for high G, low G and one for whatever. Perhaps a third tuning?

If you have no reason to play it, be rid of it. Otherwise... FITB.

<edit> Keeping things for the next generation, who do not want to take it home now, is a waste of the rest of your life.
How I know this I cannot reveal.

Last edited:
I voted to keep it. It’s a nice Uke, small, and might have a specific use some day. Put it on display somewhere, and then it has a purpose. You can always bring it back into musical service in a pinch.

Fellow minimalist here. While I’ve owned a good number of ukuleles in total over the years, I have successfully held myself to 1-2 at a time. I’ve been in your shoes and I’ve had to think very hard about my motivation for keeping the ukulele: function or sentimentality. If my motivation is sentimental and I let the instrument go, I rarely miss it after a short adjustment period.

There are many good functional reasons to keep a ukulele that have been mentioned in this thread (high g/low g for example), so I won’t wade into those waters. What I will say is that it sounds like you might be trying to find a functionality based justification for a sentimental attachment. It seems like that could be the root of the internal tension.

I have a solution to propose that has worked for me. Don’t sell it, but also don’t keep it. As long as the dollar value of the instrument won’t make or break you, gift it to someone in your life who would find it meaningful. If you have a fleeting moment of missing the instrument afterward, you’ll be reminded that you shared that joy with someone else.

So far I’m finding the idea of different tuning (d or low g) an interesting contender, or keeping it until I find someone to gift it to. My sister has expressed an interest in a better uke (she bought my horrible first uke off of Kijiji despite me trying to prevent her), I’ve thought about her birthday coming up. It’s seen some love but otherwise good condition.

Thank you so much for the replies (thus far at least), what a great turnout of suggestions. I’ll read through in more detail tomorrow :)

Fellow minimalist here. While I’ve owned a good number of ukuleles in total over the years, I have successfully held myself to 1-2 at a time. I’ve been in your shoes and I’ve had to think very hard about my motivation for keeping the ukulele: function or sentimentality. If my motivation is sentimental and I let the instrument go, I rarely miss it after a short adjustment period.

There are many good functional reasons to keep a ukulele that have been mentioned in this thread (high g/low g for example), so I won’t wade into those waters. What I will say is that it sounds like you might be trying to find a functionality based justification for a sentimental attachment. It seems like that could be the root of the internal tension.

I have a solution to propose that has worked for me. Don’t sell it, but also don’t keep it. As long as the dollar value of the instrument won’t make or break you, gift it to someone in your life who would find it meaningful. If you have a fleeting moment of missing the instrument afterward, you’ll be reminded that you shared that joy with someone else.
This was lovely, thank you Shaw.

Well I’m an accused and confirmed packrat. I’d probably keep it though I do have periodic purge spurts when I can be quite ruthless. As for selling, shipping would be costly for the potential sale value I’d think. Not really worth it perhaps.

I'd save the original with the goal of giving it to someone and wait for that opportunity. In the meantime it's still your baby to play.
This. I vote for holding on to it for now. You never know who might come along and say hey, could you teach me how to play? It might be really special for them to receive what had been your first uke as their first uke.

I know it's a different thing altogether because it's not music, but I remember telling my mom that I wished that I knew how to crochet like Gramma. To this day, I don't know why I had never thought to ask her to teach me, and I was somewhat blown away by the possibility when my mom suggested just that! And teach me she did! It's a very cool gift and I like having something like that that makes me think of her. I have some of her crochet hooks--which is cool, but not as cool as having one of her ukes. (If she had played the uke.) 😉

I know you might say that there isn't really anybody like that (I see that you did mention your sister as a possibility). But a soprano uke isn't that big. I vote for letting it sit out for easy access in the meantime. The day might come later on that you feel completely okay with selling it if the possibility of gifting it didn't ever present itself.

Life is so short...just keep the uke if you like it.

Life is so short...just keep the uke if you like it.
This ^^. Three Ukes really isn’t a lot and you enjoy what you have; in social and environmental terms there are bigger things in life to consider than having an extra Uke. Spread your playing between three instruments and then they’ll likely all be in good condition when you no longer need them, ready for the next user / custodian. Having low and high g ukes is also handy.

I also particularly like Wildjoy’s comments above 👏 . Life seems long, circumstances change and opportunities come and go. With the nearly spare Uke you’ll have opportunities to share the joy of Uke and to teach others, such things are very worthwhile and of much more importance than ‘travelling light’ … moderation is a wonderful thing and extremes are best avoided.

As an older person I love to pass on skills and understanding to the generations below me, and I also take delight in using inherited skills and implements. How cool is it to lovingly teach and care for our family and younger friends, such social activity is so very important and so is being ready to participate in it.

Last edited:
I am a pretty hardcore minimalist myself, but I would keep it. It was your first. It has sentimental value. I think you might have regrets if you parted with it.

But if you do part with it, gift it to someone

Hello everyone!

It seems there are several reasons to keep it, including the different tuning, different voices, installing a pickup, or passing it on to someone who would appreciate it (though I also totally get what you're saying there, @Wiggy).

Just to clarify, it wasn't my first uke, but definitely first "serious" uke. Avoiding having more than one object in a category isn't something I fret about or take to the extreme so much as just having a preference there, and for not owning things I don't use or love. To look around my home you wouldn't necessarily see a minimalist home, just a curated/thoughtful one. The Martin and Outdoor fill specific niches, and perhaps the extra one in question does, too, for me or the next person.

People have come to me for advice on how to declutter, so it's been surprising how this one has stumped me :unsure: Many thanks again for all the helpful replies!

Last edited:
Call it your "Guest Uke." If someone drops by and you want to jam a little, you have a nice sounding soprano that will play well with your Martin.
If they fall in love with it, well, you can gift it, or sell it for a few bucks. I have a couple of friends that don't like receiving anything for free. So, I've traded a couple for a good bottle of single malt.

Even if you don't normally play with an amp, there may come a time when you want to play for open mic night. Or perform with friends. Then it's great to have a uke with a pickup that you already know and enjoy and can plug into the PA system.

Regardless, have fun with it.

Top Bottom