Would you keep it?

• Yes

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Farkvam

Reaction score
A thread about whether to keep a certain uke in my small collection of 3 sopranos, feel free to weigh in what you'd do. A few years ago I posted a similar thread about my guitar which I wasn't playing at the time, and partly due to the helpful responses, I decided to keep it and I am so happy that I did. It is a childhood guitar and very special to me, and I only have the one.

My uke situation though: I have this entry-level solid wood soprano that I have had three years, and it is a sweetie. It cost about $150 USD new and is a Martin copy, and my first "serious" ukulele. For various reasons, after some time I bought a new Martin S1 to replace it. Long story short, despite my original intention to sell the cheaper uke, I still have both ukes, and they look similar, they sound similar, and I am somewhat bonded with both.

I'm a minimalist at heart and really, really dislike having more than one item in a particular niche. AKA two spatulas? Nope, donate one of them immediately! I have rare exceptions to this rule. I have been called ruthless in my propensity for paring down 😅

So I have three ukes now: the Martin for my "nice" daily player uke, and I recently bought an Outdoor Ukulele as my, er, outdoor ukulele. They both fit a niche. Good. The $150 original uke on the other hand, I can't for the life of me decide what to do with it. I've posted it for sale and taken it down like five times. I feel quite silly over my flip-flopping to be honest. I took it to a 60s themed costume party this weekend as a beatnik, which made me think it's a "take it to people's houses" uke. But I could arguably just take the Outdoor Uke if it's a raucous party, or the Martin if it's a quiet get-together.

I think my indecision has to do with the fact that I just like it, it's an exceptionally well-crafted unit for what it is, and it's discontinued. But I can't get over that minimalist feeling that it doesn't fit a need. And to anticipate the question: yes, I do play it, just much less than the Martin because the latter sounds exactly the way I want my uke to sound. The cheaper counterpart is pretty close in voice, but not quite the quality of tone of the Martin.

At the end of the day it’s not all that important...but I figure it's helpful to compare notes among some ukey friends :)

Last edited:
I'm not a minimalist and have way more ukes than one would have. That said, my reason for keeping multiple ukes is different voices. If I get a uke that sounds like another I already have I keep the one I like best and sell the other (so I can fund my hunt for a different voice). How about stringing it with a low G for a different voice? Everyone should have one high g and low g uke I think.

I like having a beater ukulele that plays well and sounds reasonably nice that I can leave out on the desk or sofa to grab and play anytime. It is cheap enough that I don't mind if it gets damaged by humidity or accidentally getting sat on. If you have 2 beater ukes, you could leave them in different rooms for easy access. Or you could give one to someone who can better use it.

Sorta like my situation with 3 classical guitars. Terada $100 bought in 1974, Suzuki $500 bought used in 2020, Taylor $3,500 inherited in 2021. Use the Terada for outdoor gigs where it could rain, Suzuki is the best sounding, Taylor used for amplified gigs. Thought of selling the Suzuki but like the op having hard time deciding.

The Outdoor (and Martin for that matter) is a keeper. I’m pretty judicious about using plastic objects in my life (you’re looking at someone who makes their own toothpaste so I don’t have to dispose of a plastic tube), but a lot of thought and effort went into acquiring it. I like to have a uke that I don’t have to worry about in a leaky tent, canoe, at the beach, with a friend’s toddler, etc. It won’t go to waste :)

Last edited:
I always like the thought of my old uke being used by someone learning how to make music.

Granted, I gave away two of my ukuleles, but I vote for sell just for that reason alone.

A thread about whether to keep a certain uke in my small collection of 3 sopranos, feel free to weigh in what you'd do. A few years ago I posted a similar thread about my guitar which I wasn't playing at the time, and partly due to the helpful responses, I decided to keep it and I am so happy that I did. It is a childhood guitar and very special to me, and I only have the one.

My uke situation though: I have this entry-level solid wood soprano that I have had three years, and it is a sweetie. It cost about $150 USD new and is a Martin copy, and my first "serious" instrument. For various reasons, after some time I bought a new Martin S1 to replace it. Long story short, despite my original intention to sell the cheaper uke, I still have both ukes, and they look similar, they sound similar, and I am somewhat bonded with both.

I'm a minimalist at heart and really, really dislike having more than one item in a particular niche. AKA two spatulas? Nope, donate one of them immediately! I have rare exceptions to this rule. I have been called ruthless in my propensity for paring down 😅

So I have three ukes now: the Martin for my "nice" daily player uke, and I recently bought an Outdoor Ukulele as my, er, outdoor ukulele. They both fit a niche. Good. The $150 original uke on the other hand, I can't for the life of me decide what to do with it. I've posted it for sale and taken it down like five times. I feel quite silly over my flip-flopping to be honest. I took it to a 60s themed costume party this weekend as a beatnik, which made me think it's a "take it to people's houses" uke. But I could arguably just take the Outdoor Uke if it's a raucous party, or the Martin if it's a quiet get-together.

I think my indecision has to do with the fact that I just like it, it's an exceptionally well-crafted unit for what it is, and it's discontinued. But I can't get over that minimalist feeling that it doesn't fit a need. And to anticipate the question: yes, I do play it, just much less than the Martin because the latter sounds exactly the way I want my uke to sound. The cheaper counterpart is pretty close in voice, but not quite the quality of tone of the Martin.

At the end of the day it’s not all that important...but I figure it's helpful to compare notes among some ukey friends :)
I think your minimalism (?) is admirable. I used to be more like you, and I should get back to it. That said, you don’t have to be a purist. You like this uke, and it has a place in your heart. It’s just an object, but I think you should keep it. I think you’ll miss it.

If you need to rationalize it, put a low G string on it so it gives you something new musically that you don’t already have.

Whatever you do, I’m sure it will be fine. I miss some instruments I have sold. Life goes on. 😀

If you enjoy the sound the Outdoor makes, keep that one and get rid of the other two. Or, if the Martin is better, keep the Martin. Either way, it seems like having more than one uke is a thing for you to fret about, so pare it down to your best.

Full disclosure: I got a Waterman plastic uke, but I have never actually chosen to take it anywhere, over the other ukes I have.

I’d keep it for the simple reason you like it and might regret getting rid of it. You won’t make much money or save a lot of space by downsizing in this case. As it see it potential benefit < potential "cost."

If someone comes by that you don't like, let him play that one you are considering getting rid of. Or, you can give me your Martin, and voila, you'll only have two.

Yes Strings!! Low G high G or maybe some really dark sounding strings or bright depending on what’s on the Martin.

My uke situation though: I have this entry-level solid wood soprano that I have had three years, and it is a sweetie. It cost about $150 USD new and is a Martin copy, and my first "serious" instrument. For various reasons, after some time I bought a new Martin S1 to replace it. Long story short, despite my original intention to sell the cheaper uke, I still have both ukes, and they look similar, they sound similar, and I am somewhat bonded with both.

You have three ukes? Lucky duck. I have way too many and I want to get to two or three at the most.

Top Bottom