Kamaka HF-3?

Bolt on neck in ‘21, but I’d assume the same since 2001 or so.

I don't know about major changes to the finish or bracing like what Kanilea has done, but I have been on the Kamaka factory tour a few times in the last 10 years and I can say the are using more precision machinery now days. I cannot tell if that makes quality better or if it makes quality easier or faster.

Last edited:
The also changed the de facto finish sometime in the last few years, satin finish is de facto, but high gloss is $500 more, or comes on certain deluxe models.

@UkeStuff did a video recording of a factory tour, and they showcase a ton of cool stuff.
Thanks. I actually did the tour in November, and I tried all the basic models. I suppose what prompted my question is an older (2007) HF-3 for sale near me. I’m curious if any actual structural or finish changes have been made.

The buttons on the Schallers have also been changed sometime in the last decade. Don’t know exactly when.

My 2017 HF-3 has a satin finish that is more like a semi-gloss. It has Schaller sealed chrome tuners with Snakewood buttons.

I believe 2017 was the last year for Rosewood fingerboards.

My thoughts are yes, there have been changes over the last couple of decades and yes, the HF-3 has remained basically the same.

The body shape is every so slightly different and the finish - while still lacquer - is different. In the picture attached, the HF-3 on the right was built in 2005 and the one on the left in 2023. The older design has a gloss finish that fits more the "open pore" type where the finish still shows the original surface contours of the wood. The newer design has a glass-smooth surface. Overall, the newer uke feels solid and very precisely made, while the older version has some rough edges.

The above said, when I close my eyes and listen to the notes coming out of each instrument, I have a hard time differentiating between the two. Both sound very nice and similar to each other.

Attachments

• 2 kamaka tenors.JPG
    2 kamaka tenors.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 27
My 2017 HF-3 has a satin finish that is more like a semi-gloss. It has Schaller sealed chrome tuners with Snakewood buttons.

I believe 2017 was the last year for Rosewood fingerboards.
I had some questions about finish on the tour. Apparently all the standard types of ukes are semi gloss, and the higher end ones are full gloss by default. They also welcome custom orders directly or through dealer where you can specify type of gloss or if you want different gloss on neck and body. I didn't ask when they changed that.
1000008094.jpg1000008093.jpg

I had some questions about finish on the tour. Apparently all the standard types of ukes are semi gloss, and the higher end ones are full gloss by default. They also welcome custom orders directly or through dealer where you can specify type of gloss or if you want different gloss on neck and body. I didn't ask when they changed that.
View attachment 168272View attachment 168273
That sure is a lot of 2Di's and Jake Models!!!

I got a 2023 HF-3.

I think perhaps one 'modern' change is that it has a compensated synthetic saddle and nut?

I remember my HF-4 from 12 years ago having some kind of semi-gloss nitro finish.
My new HF-3 is satin.

Top Bottom