Strings New strings completed

TimWPB

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I completed my first string replacement today on my Kala solid mahogany concert, using D’Addario titanium strings. I watched and rewatched a few “how to” videos. The two biggest challenges were 1) ensuring the string twists at the bridge were going the proper way and 2) getting the slip knot on the tuners set in the right direction. The E string twists are not consistent, but it will have to be ok until the next restringing. The bridge strings ends are tidy for a first attempt. I’m elated at having developed this skill. I know it will be easier next time. I’m only 2+ months into uke ownership (maybe it owns me?). It’s another proud milestone in my uke journey!

Attachments

• IMG_6576.jpeg
    IMG_6576.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6577.jpeg
    IMG_6577.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6578.jpeg
    IMG_6578.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6579.jpeg
    IMG_6579.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 16
Looks nice. On your next restring wrap the A string the opposite direction and tuck the tail under the E string loop. It's easy, just means you won't tension the E & A strings until they are tucked into each other. It gets easier and quicker. Way quicker than the time it takes for the strings to hold their tuning! Great job for 1st try!

Looks nice. On your next restring wrap the A string the opposite direction and tuck the tail under the E string loop. It's easy, just means you won't tension the E & A strings until they are tucked into each other. It gets easier and quicker. Way quicker than the time it takes for the strings to hold their tuning! Great job for 1st try!
Appreciate the suggestion for the bridge string ends.

Congrats, great job for the 1st time!

To be honest, I always tie the strings individually on the bridge because I personally don't like them tucked under each other, and it's quicker

Congratulations! A very tidy job.

If you do decide to clip the ends, tie the strings so the ends all point towards the A string. That way they won't poke you in the arm while you play.

I find the direction doesn't make any difference provided you tie/clip so that the ends lie flush against the bridge...ymmv. this may require some twisting or messing with the knot. Whatever direction, you prob don't want the end sticking out/up, as slight as it might be.

Last edited:
When fitting new strings, use painter's tape around the bridge to protect it. Your fingernails can easily cause scratches or gouges. Especially true when cutting (using a small fingernail clipper) the ends off.

I'd be careful with painters tape on certain finishes...it took some paint off my cheap/castrated Panda. I have used post-it notes though 😄

Last edited:
Excellent job and a great step on your journey. After many string changes I found Diamond ukulele string ties and have them on both ukes. Something to think about later on.

You're hired! Where do we send our ukes?

Nice! I do it the same way with one difference: I put the end of the #1 (or E) string back up the same hole it came out of for a cleaner look at the right end... thghten up the strings first though or it will make the knot slip!

Top Bottom