Tone Wood Differences

Blunderbuss

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am looking at possibly getting a KALA Tenor XL. There are choices in what they are made out of: solid Spruce top w/solid Ziricote sides and back; all solid Mahogany; solid Cedar w/solid Acacia back and sides. Which will have the warmest tones? Which will be the most stable? All are pretty good in the looks department. Thanks in advance for all feedback.
Spruce/Ziricote: Mahogany: Cedar/Acacia:
1709670060189.png 1709670097835.png 1709670142950.png

The mahogany will be significantly warmer than the other two. Cedar are spruce are softwoods which make them sound brighter. Note that cedar is also warmer than spruce.

In general, the top wood makes the biggest difference. Also different manufacturers will give very different results.

I'm sure others will chime in - but generally speaking, the brightest to warmest would usually go spruce, cedar, mahogany - t least that is what I would expect. Each instrument may vary based upon the build. I've been fortunate to own ukes out of all three and the above sequence is what I found to be true.

Build quality matters at least as much as the types of woods (perhaps more). I wouldn't trust the advise of anyone who doesn't at least claim to have played all of these instruments.

I recall that Mim and Aldrine have a video on the UU YouTube channel where they describe what they hear when they play instruments made from different woods. They probably were not Kala, so take what they say with a grain of salt, but maybe that can give you some hints about what to listen for when you play the instruments yourself.

I have a friend that owns the same model in spruce/ziricote xl. It is a great sounding ukulele, and a superb value. Easy to play and the best Kala I have ever tried. Two thumbs up! When I first heard it, I thought it sounded similar to my Koaloha Royal Pitake Mango tenor for 1/3 of the price. I have also played the mahogany xl, but was not nearly as impressed.

You'll have to try them out for yourself. The tone depends on which strings you use, how you play, how the uke was built and the room you're playing in. I think generalizations on how different tonewoods are supposed to sound is mostly bunk.

You'll have to try them out for yourself. The tone depends on which strings you use, how you play, how the uke was built and the room you're playing in. I think generalizations on how different tonewoods are supposed to sound is mostly bunk.
Me too! There are legitimate differences under controlled circumstances…I’ve just never played there(in controlled circumstances)

I think that generalizations are just that, and when applied to individual instruments may well be bunk as far as the woods are concerned. The only ukulele I have made that I believe had a unique sound due to the wood, was the one and only ulu ukulele I have built. It was a Martin O style soprano that I have made dozens of out of all kinds of wood. Volume and sustain were in line with the others, but the timbre was different.
Brad

Top Bottom