Out of Town

Nickie

Reaction score
Hey gang, I'll be out of town, out of touch for a little while. At least I'm traveling with another uker....
I'll post upon my return.

Wow, what a long strange trip it was. I'll be dealing with the aftermath for quite some time, I'm afraid. I had to drive by myself (not an easy feat at 72 with a small bladder) 1300 miles each way. I had to "rescue" my Mom from quite disgusting living conditions. We quickly moved into a cottage 1/4 mile from her brother. It was a test to see if she could handle Independent or Assisted Living. It didn't work out, so three weeks later my cousin (who is a CNA there) and I got her into Long Term Care, or nursing home. Its not just any LTC facility. My grandmother, and aunt, both lived there in their final years. The food is superb. Mom is adjusting well. She knows people there.
I now know what my hospice caregivers went through, as I was IT, 24/7, except to run errands while my uncle or cousin stayed with Mom.
Applying for Medicaid is a daunting task, to say the least, but we had help from a wonderful woman in the Council for the Aging. Putting an attorney's retainer fee on a credit card and applying for legal Guardianship/Conservatorship was scary, to say the least. Mom's MD had deemed her unable to make her own decisions, and at 95, even with her mind intact, i get it. She had been living in squalor with my sibling, who is demented and really quite does not care for anyone. He even has a wild dog that was knocking Mom off her feet. He refused our help, and is being evicted tomorrow, I understand, from Mom's former landlord, as he won't move out, or pay rent. He even locked us out when we tried to retrieve the last of Mom's things, won't even answer the door for the police. He does own a firearm, and screamed and yelled at us quite a bit. To say the least, he scared the beegeezus outta me.
I have to "go to court" tomorrow via Zoom, so a judge can order a health evaluation by a doctor for my sibling, so he could possibly be placed in a locked care facility, to avoid homelessness.
While this has calmed down a bit, it will never be over for me, as I wonder if i did everything I could (or did I wait on her too much?)
Oh yeah, i got to do gospel music for a "pre-Easter" Service there, and two free one hour solo shows for the nursing home residents. They didn't want me to leave....
Living without internet or cellphone for a month isn't something I'm used to. But I managed it. i did get in some ukulele/singing/violin practice when there was time.
I remembered why I don't live there anymore....the weather sucks!
Thanks for reading my rant, as I won't post this on any other social media.

Wow. Nickie. What an experience, to say the least. I am sorry that you had such an enormously challenging number of weeks, and that it will continue to be a challenge for some time. I am glad you're home, I'm glad that you had an opportunity to play music, I'm glad you were able to help your Mom so much (you did what you could, and it was very good what you did). Hugs, and welcome back to the forum, I missed you, I'm glad you're back.

Yikes, Nickie! Your trip had more twists, turns, and drama than most movie plots! :) But despite the grim situation, you managed to overcome the many challenges facing you, eventually getting things sorted out … and kudos to you for that. Regardless of how the story continues to unfold, rest assured you did everything possible to resolve the various issues your family members were/are facing. What you accomplished took guts, perseverance, wisdom, and grace. ❤️

That sounds horribly stressful, Nickie, I’m glad you’re safely back, I missed you too. It sounds as though what you’ve achieved will make a huge difference to your mother’s quality of life in her final years, and hopefully your brother will receive some help, too. I’m very glad you were able to play music while you were there, and I hope that you can get some much needed time for yourself now that you’re home.

Nickie, bless you for all you've done for your mom. ❤️
Take care of yourself too!

Top Bottom