How to play harmonics on the ukulele

4stringboy

Reaction score

Hello all,

I’ve just released a video on how to play natural and artificial harmonics on the uke, and some key areas in how I use them that might shed some light on how to use them.

It’s a fantastic technique that can really add a new voice to the new uke.

Anyways, hope it’s helpful or insightful for someone.

Big love!

I know that @TimWilson has been singing your praises (e.g. Fingerstyle Fursday series) for some time, but I haven't taken the time to watch one of your how to videos. This video is clear, informative, demonstrates the techniques in an approachable manner; if your uku vids are like this, then I can see why you're so popular! Thank you for sharing this. I've always been mystified by harmonics and now I'm a lot less so!!

There are so many amazing ways that Sammy organically folds harmonics into arrangements that it really warrants some examples. Here are a few of my favorites.

Radiohead, No Surprises. You'll definitely notice the all-harmonic intro, but check how smoothly they flow through a number of phrases throughout.

The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony. He's using harmonics to replace the string section!!! Where it gets INSANE is when he hits the harmonics on his way into the strums to keep the riff going behind the melody! I'd already been following Sammy for a couple of years when he dropped this, and a year later, this still freaks me out. I'm glad for Sammy's sake and ours that practitioners of wizardry are largely left to pursue their magical arts in peace, because seriously, this is INSANE.

It's also a perfect example of the strategem he calls "not breaking the chord" -- it's hard to imagine any practical alternative to playing this many sounds this elegantly.

Those songs, and others that Sammy performs and teaches, have elements in them that are naturally in this range, but they're mostly contemporary-ish pop songs (plus whatever the f Radiohead is 🤣 -- I love them and still couldn't tell you).

I'd love to see some classical arrangements that take advantage of this too, but I don't currently have any nominees. Anyone else?

In any case, @4stringboy, thanks for sharing, and thanks for all the magical sparkles! ✨✨💥🌟✨💖

Last edited:
I'd love to see some classical arrangements that take advantage of this too, but I don't currently have any nominees. Anyone else?
Oooohhhh!! Yes PLEASE! But I don't know enough (even though I like playing classical) to make suggestions.

Oh wait... I do have one but it would be totally insane. Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D minor. I heard this version and it blew my mind... I wonder if harmonics would work for it on ukulele?

Oooohhhh!! Yes PLEASE! But I don't know enough (even though I like playing classical) to make suggestions.

Oh wait... I do have one but it would be totally insane. Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D minor. I heard this version and it blew my mind... I wonder if harmonics would work for it on ukulele?

Look, if someone can figure out how to get it onto a glass harp, someone else can figure out how to get it on ukulele!

By which I also mean someone else besides me! 🤣 But I think you're right, this one makes a great candidate!

I know that @TimWilson has been singing your praises (e.g. Fingerstyle Fursday series) for some time, but I haven't taken the time to watch one of your how to videos. This video is clear, informative, demonstrates the techniques in an approachable manner; if your uku vids are like this, then I can see why you're so popular! Thank you for sharing this. I've always been mystified by harmonics and now I'm a lot less so!!
Thank you, I’m glad I can demystify them! Tim is by far too wonderful to me and paying him to praise me receiving all the praise is very sweet :)

Thank you, I’m glad I can demystify them! Tim is by far too wonderful to me and paying him to praise me receiving all the praise is very sweet :)

What can I say? I'm a fan of the sparkly boy!

What can YOU say, Sir Samuel of Sparkledom about some harmonics in the classical repertoire? Any thoughts?

What can I say? I'm a fan of the sparkly boy!

What can YOU say, Sir Samuel of Sparkledom about some harmonics in the classical repertoire? Any thoughts?
I was never classically raised or trained so my knowledge on such repertoire doesn’t exist - however I think it would work just fine, the closest I’ve come to it would probably be ‘River flows in You’ and that was a delight!

The theory of harmonics isn't that hard, but in practice there are some obstacles. I find that the farther away my index finger is from my thumb, the more consistently I can nail the harmonic. I am not knocking the videos or the methodology; I'm just saying that my hands are stupid and need special treatment.

I very much enjoyed the harmonics demonstration. Classical guitarists usually do it a little differently.

Classical guitarists most often play right hand harmonics using the index finger and the ring finger. This accomplishes the @ripock tip of keeping the striking finger as far as comfortably possible from index finger. It also leaves the thumb available to play other note or notes.

Here is youtube demonstration by a classical guitarist: (Below that is another video which shows the thumb playing notes while the ring finger strikes the harmonic. It happens when the guitarist repeats the theme, starting at the 1:40 mark.)

This thread has been a good learning experience. Like many people I kind of knew about harmonics and could do them albeit somewhat inconsistently. And I always did right hand harmonics which are a bit awkward if you're attempting to imbricate harmonics into more traditional strumming and picking. I also for the first time learned what the actual notes of the harmonics are, so that I can actually use them with some intention. Previously I just used it like a cow bell: just something you threw in without rhyme or reason just because it was odd and cool.

The thing I learned about harmonics is that you can leave your left hand touching the string even after striking with the right hand. For whatever reason, I thought you had to have it all synchronized and lift your left hand just as you struck with the right.

I have been using harmonics to play the 5 in a minor 2-5-1 progression. It sure adds some spice to that old workhorse

Top Bottom