K or K or K?

different sound and feel... from my concert perspective:
Kamaka - thinner neck, "normal" string spacing
Koaloha - slightly wider neck, "normal" spacing
Kanile'a - wider neck, slightly wider spacing

I imagine there are differences in tenor size. BTW, after trying all 3 side-by-side (a lot fewer Ko'olau in stock out there) the Koaloha is the one I bought... and I was pretty set on getting a Kamaka.

K or K or K or K?
I own all four of the K Brand tenors: 2017 Kamaka HF-3; 2016 Kanile'a 2017 K1-T; 2017 Ko'Aloha KTM-00 & 2022 Ko'olau T100
All of the makers have revised their designs and construction processes since mine were made, except perhaps the T100. The newer versions sound different than mine, and in the case of the Ko'Aloha the neck has changed. I understand that the sound of the K1-T & KTM-00 tenors have shifted a little to put more emphasis on the mid and high ends from the ones I have, which are more to the lower end. IMHO I think they have shifted somewhat towards the Kamaka sound.

Keeping this in mind:
I would take the Kamaka-HF-3. I think it is the most balanced and versatile of the four. With High-g Nylon strings it does sound Hawaiian. I use fluorocarbon strings on it. I think give it a more classical and layered voice, especially fingerstyle. Right now it is strung with Pepe Romero UT2 Fluorocarbon Tenor Ukulele Set with LaBella Gold Wound Low-G String. These strings moved the voice more towards the low end and upped the volume. Making strumming it more fun. I think the HF-3 sounds and plays like a design that has been refined for however long the Kamaka tenor has been made—with over 100 years of ukulele making experience behind it. It is a tad harder to play than the others, but that may be just the setup on mine not being as low as the others.

The Ko'olau is a close second. It feels lighter and more resonant that the others. With a more guitar-like sound with fluoro strings.
The Kanile'a has a flatter neck, which I really like. i has a deep, very rich voice. Skewed more low end.
The Ko'Aloha has a fast neck, with a more brash, popular music voice. It's the easiest to play of the four.

Each has a unique voice and signature sound. All are rewarding and fun to play.

Last edited:
different sound and feel... from my concert perspective:
Kamaka - thinner neck, "normal" string spacing
Koaloha - slightly wider neck, "normal" spacing
Kanile'a - wider neck, slightly wider spacing

I imagine there are differences in tenor size. BTW, after trying all 3 side-by-side (a lot fewer Ko'olau in stock out there) the Koaloha is the one I bought... and I was pretty set on getting a Kamaka.
Kamaka uses a different neck shape for tenor vs concert-scale. Kamaka tenor necks are similar to Kanilea.

When I was on Oahu, I had the opportunity to play all 3 side by side. My wife also plays so I got the benefit of hearing the uke as a player and out in front. Our selection was the same. Loved the KoAloha voice the best (and I'm not exactly sure what the "Hawaiian sound" means), it was the fullest and had the most volume. Then next we liked Kanile'a, almost the same volume, a little more crisp. Kamaka was a distant 3rd, and I really wanted the Kamaka to stand out as I love their "story". It just sounded ordinary after the other 2. If "Hawaiian sound" means the most like the once only size, the soprano, then I agree Kamaka has that. I have bought and sold 3 different Kamaka's including their 100 yr anniversary model trying to find one I could love. Finally, another UU strummer was selling his Kamaka spruce top tenor and said if I liked the KoAloha sound, I would like this one. I took a chance and finally I own a Kamaka I love! Since then I have purchased a Kamaka 8-string, love it's sound too and I've had four 8-strings including Kanile'a. So yes for me KoAloha is my brand fav and I own several in all sizes (not bari). And Pops KoAloha's new brand UKESA grows that KoAloha sound in a big way!

K or K or K or K?
I own all four of the K Brand tenors: 2017 Kamaka HF-3; 2016 Kanile'a 2017 K1-T; Ko'Aloha KTM-00 & 2022 Ko'olau T100
All of the makers have revised their designs and construction processes since mine were made, except perhaps the T100. The newer versions sound different than mine, and in the case of the Ko'Aloha the neck has changed. I understand that the sound of the K1-T & KTM-00 tenors have shifted a little to put more emphasis on the mid and high ends from the ones I have, which are more to the lower end. IMHO I think they have shifted somewhat towards the Kamaka sound.

Keeping this in mind:
I would take the Kamaka-HF-3. I think it is the most balanced and versatile of the four. With High-g Nylon strings it does sound Hawaiian. I use fluorocarbon strings on it. I think give it a more classical and layered voice, especially fingerstyle. Right now it is strung with Pepe Romero UT2 Fluorocarbon Tenor Ukulele Set with LaBella Gold Wound Low-G String. These strings moved the voice more towards the low end and upped the volume. Making strumming it more fun. I think the HF-3 sounds and plays like a design that has been refined for however long the Kamaka tenor has been made—with over 100 years of ukulele making experience behind it. It is a tad harder to play than the others, but that may be just the setup on mine not being as low as the others.

The Ko'olau is a close second. It feels lighter and more resonant that the others. With a more guitar-like sound with fluoro strings.
The Kanile'a has a flatter neck, which I really like. i has a deep, very rich voice. Skewed more low end.
The Ko'Aloha has a fast neck, with a more brash, popular music voice. It's the easiest to play of the four.

Each has a unique voice and signature sound. All are rewarding and fun to play.
Interesting comment about the KoAloha neck change. I think they may have moved neck CNC from California contract to in-house production which may give them more design flexibility. Also notable Kamaka change from set neck to bolt on neck which has many production advantages. I will visit Oahu at end of February and intend to visit factories and ask about these changes.

I really appreciate all of the comments. I'm pleasantly surprised that KoAloha seems to be the most often chosen among those that responded. I say pleasantly surprised because that is the company I was leaning toward, but mostly on a gut feeling with no experience with any of the big K names. As I said earlier, I'm sure they all make great ukuleles, but it's very interesting to hear from so many people with so much experience.

I really appreciate all of the comments. I'm pleasantly surprised that KoAloha seems to be the most often chosen among those that responded. I say pleasantly surprised because that is the company I was leaning toward, but mostly on a gut feeling with no experience with any of the big K names. As I said earlier, I'm sure they all make great ukuleles, but it's very interesting to hear from so many people with so much experience.
Yes I remember well when I played one first and I just loved it. But KoAloha is always changing and evolving and when I decided to get one I did some investigation which features that changed I liked. I ended up getting a 2000 which was not easy to find and had to be imported from Japan but I love it. Sure looking forward to check out their newest incarnations. But regardless if old or new so far I have loved them all.

I like KoAloha, as well, but caution you against choosing it based on forum responses (though you won't go wildly wrong with any of the three).

I have had occasion to try the three Ks together (concert size) and had a distinct preference. One of the others I thought was okay and the other I did not like. Recently I tried them again and I found myself liking the 3rd choice previously more than the middle one.

But what should be reasonably clear is that they are maybe more different from each other than they are alike. That is probably a characteristic of top end ukuleles. Fortunately, if you are coming from a mid or low cost ukulele, it will be liked because they will be much better ukuleles in feel and sound.

So, do what you can to try them, including driving an hour or so or asking other players if you can try theirs when you encounter them. If in no rush, then wait until a good used one comes up. Any used one of a given company will be more like their current model than a different modern model from the other companies.

BTW, the Kamaka sound is likeliest to be the "traditional Hawaiian sound" because 30 years ago it was the only one in business since early in the 20th century (the other two were founded in the 90s). Personally I think of this sound being more from slack key guitars than ukuleles.

The best ukulele for you depends a lot on what type of music you like and your playing style. This video is 12 years old and Corey has made a lot of other videos since then, but I still like the way the differences between the instruments are so clear in this one.​

I would ask if you can try them to see which one you bond with and because it’s fun to share this hobby with others!

I have had two KoAloha tenors and three Kamaka tenors.

For me it depends on a few things. Do you want a low G? KoAloha sounds great! Do you want a classic Hawaiian strummer sound then Kamaka. If you want a slim neck then KoAloha. If you want a beefy neck then Kanilea. If you want a medium neck then a Kamaka.

Other than sound if you want one with a history Kamaka can’t be beat and some use the term Kamaka interchangeably with ukulele like “Kleenex” or “xerox”.

You are blessed with a difficult choice! There is no wrong answer.

Keep in mind that people who try Kamaka in the store are usually trying the stock nylon strings which people have strong opinions about and those folks usually change them to fluorocarbons so the difference in sound is not that great.

I like both. KoAloha has more warmth and more low end sound. Kamaka to me sounds more balanced.

Let us know how it turns out!

Interesting comment about the KoAloha neck change. I think they may have moved neck CNC from California contract to in-house production which may give them more design flexibility. Also notable Kamaka change from set neck to bolt on neck which has many production advantages. I will visit Oahu at end of February and intend to visit factories and ask about these changes.
I believe they shortened the number of frets to the body from 15 to 14. So, I assume the neck was moved by 3/8", the size of the 15th fret on my 2017 KTM-00. (It still has 20 frets.) If so they had to move the sound hole. And the bridge by the same amount to maintain the 17-1/8" scale.
They also lightened and repositioned the unibrace.

Last edited:
I've owned a Kanilea tenor, Kamaka baritone and currently have a Kamaka HF-3.
All great, but my vote goes to the Kamaka HF-3.

I've yet to own a Koaloha.
That being said, I prefer mellower sounding ukuleles and the Koaloha comes across as very bright in general :)

My thought between Kamaka and Koaloha is “it depends.” You can’t go wrong with either standard tenor. If I had to choose just two ukuleles, then I would have a Kamaka in reentrant/high G and a Koaloha in linear/low G tuning. Somedays I seriously think those two would be all I need to cover the bases for what I like to play.

The above said, I would advise choosing between the two based on what you like to play. The two tenors fortunately sound wonderful in their own separate ways.

I have the older and newer versions of the Koaloha (15 vs 14 frets free) and Kanilea (TRU vs TRU-R) tenors. On tone alone, my favorites are the newer Koaloha and Kanilea tenors (both low G). I have never owned/played a Kamaka HF-3.

I have owned all 3 (even a Ko'olau) but as others have said, it really depends on what you are looking for. They all are great brands and ukes. My personal favorite is also Koaloha for playability and sound.

Top Bottom