This is why the Baritone uke is the best thing ever

Baritones are big and whilst I’m not anti them one of the pluses of (‘normal’) Ukes is that they’re relatively compact.

Should anyone take any notice of that video? I’m not answering that question but observe that some people have very many videos on YouTube and maybe they earn money from them, maybe the more folk who watch any of those videos the more money the author receives. I suspect that some video makers have got a video for nearly every different taste and preference, maybe they say whatever sells - it is entertainment. Just some thoughts and I could be completely wrong, lets say I’ve misunderstood and am wrong, but how does YouTube work?

Last edited:
I have all the sizes, including an epi tenor guitar, which I have for sale here on UU. I've owned a Gibson, Martin, and a Favilla 19" scale pre paper label.The tenor guitar is HUGE, but with the steel strings it has sustain that goes forever, but Kinda hard for me to play because of the scale length and string spacing. of all the baris, my fav is the favilla, which I'd sold here on UU and was able to buy back. And compared to thr gibby and martin, way more affordable, if you can find one.

Listen to this piece of joy. You won't be disappointed.

Aaron from Beansprout has tuned this one gCEA with a high g and it sounds heavenly.

@about2 , @DownUpDave, @Charles Guy .....pretty quickly realized I was indeed hijacking someone else's thread, so thank you for your thoughts. I also believe, and have probably stated on this forum, that "you get what you got" and you learn how to use it. But somehow, I was hoping to cheat just a little lol. I'm nerdy enough to do lot's of reading and research about stuff I want to buy. So much so that once the decision is made and I've made my choice, a lot of the excitement is already gone lol. The other thing about me is that I rarely return things, so I want to measure twice and cut once. I really appreciate the thoughts. -Keith

They are just so huge that I don't get the point. May as well just play a guitar.
Some small guitars have larger bodies than baritone ukes. Some people want a deeper sound and only want to use 4 strings instead of six. They fill a niche. I don’t have one right now, but I do miss having one.

Some small guitars have larger bodies than baritone ukes. Some people want a deeper sound and only want to use 4 strings instead of six. They fill a niche. I don’t have one right now, but I do miss having one.
Plus, I get a high from doing stuff on ukuleles including the baritone because it is difficult with fewer strings. It is de rigueur for people with guitars or pianos to play fancy stuff because of all their resources. When we do it on ukes, I think it is extra special because of our limitations. It is kind of like seeing a powerlifter deadlift twice or thrice his body weight. It isn't that impressive because it is a no-branier: that's what he trains to do. But if a skinny guy did it, it would be remarkable because you never expected it from him.

I'm not a fan of this particular YouTube channel which seems to champion buying, collecting and selling inexpensive Amazon ukuleles. That saying about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing keeps jumping to mind.

My big surprise is the amount of animis expressed for the sweet and gentle baritone by normally open and accepting forum ukulele players.

Baritones are big and whilst I’m not anti them one of the pluses of (‘normal’) Ukes is that they’re relatively compact.

Should anyone take any notice of that video? I’m not answering that question but observe that some people have very many videos on YouTube and maybe they earn money from them, maybe the more folk who watch any of those videos the more money the author receives. I suspect that some video makers have got a video for nearly every different taste and preference, maybe they say whatever sells - it is entertainment. Just some thoughts and I could be completely wrong, lets say I’ve misunderstood and am wrong, but how does YouTube work?
Meh, I'll watch that youtuber's vids just for entertainment's sake and for whatever bits of wisdom he may share.

Plus, having a channel that promotes that product tier is okay by me. Is he correct about a bari being "the only one"? Nah. If that's the only uke one can afford? Still nah. I'd say the tenor is the most versatile.

I'm guessing because he reviews and uses "big box" ukelele brands he probably gets revenue from amazon and the uke manufacturer. Not a huge amount, but enough to make it worth his time. I don't know if his vids actually have ads inserted- there's a huge income source right there. Then there's the "subscribers" and the views that create revenue as well. The more subs a channel has the more likely it will draw sponsors.

Finally, I would have bought the bari he's reviewing- or something similar because I wanted to try something at a certain spending limit. Majority baritone ukes have 38mm nut width so I ended up spending quite a bit more- but really happy with the expenditure.

FYI: Pono baritones have 35mm nut width for them what wants to try one! It's still a bit of a work out reaching frets but it's more than worth the effort.

Keep learning and keep your brain plastic!

Last edited:
Top Bottom