Is this a crack?

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just picked up an HP-1 (2006 model) from Guitar center that was listed in excellent condition. I am trying to figure out if these striations (one on each side of the neck heel) on the back are cracks, or something with the finish. If they are indeed cracks, are they fine to leave on their own, will something like this settle on it's own? I use humidifiers myself, so maybe they would stabilize with the correct humidity and care. Typically I buy new, but for a decent price, I thought this was a steal, and I can always return if I change my mind. I've uploaded two different angles. Pardon the high contrast, I used the flash because my living room was dim.

Attachments

• IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1886.jpg
    IMG_1886.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 51
Looks like cracks to me. The one on the right in the first photo looks like maybe just a finish crack. What does it look like on the inside?

I couldn't see any cracks through the inside, though it would be close to the label. I'll double check when I get home this evening though.

Put a 100w equivalent LED bulb in the sound hole, then look at the back.

Odd, it looks like they align with the edges of the neck block. I think cracks but don’t know why it would like that. Does the neck joint feel solid?

Top Bottom