This is why the Baritone uke is the best thing ever

I'd argue Tenor is just as versatile in alternate tunings.

Tenors tune standard GCEA and also baritone DGBE ukulele tuning (use ADGB strings from a classical guitar set) just fine.

Baritones, in my experience don't handle standard GCEA very well.
For me, the tension feels a bit too much and/or the strings feel too thin for the scale length.

Baritones handle DGBE tuning and Octave low GCEA tuning pretty well.
Octave low GCEA can be achieved using specific strings (eg: Guadalupe) or just use EADG strings from a classical guitar set.

Capo is ok in a pinch, but I don't think it's a great way to experience the alternative tunings as a perfect solution as it cramps up your fingering space, it messes up your 'navigation' of your fretboard, you run out of frets and the intonation with capo-ing is not great on short scale instruments.

I prefer having ukuleles in different tunings available for use than relying on Capo's too much.

Firstly of course All Scale Length are the Best for the individual player who enjoys that scale length.

I saw the Rich Davis video when he first released it. For those of us with smaller hands, shorter fingers and age - the distance between frets is a challenge. So I would go with Tenor which can string a variety of strings :cool: as stated by @kissing

I think the downside of baritones to me is that with all the strings I've tried so far the D string is a bit boomy and not very rich, compared to the same string on a guitar. I do enjoy baritone a lot, but tenor doesn't have a string with that experience for me.

Well you're preachin' to the choir here! I agree, I think baritone is the best. But it is such a personal thing isn't it . . .

A lot depends on the sound you're looking for....typically, the bari is the least "uke" sounding of the four types of ukuleles.

It is interesting to note, at least to my knowledge, that few professional uke players record using a baritone.....

But I'm sticking with my bari! I think it is the most versatile and interesting. I find it to be pure fun.

Hello my friends.

Just saw this video on YT and I thought this is something worth to talk about

I've talked myself out of a bari multiple times. I've been seriously looking the past few days and have a couple options so far.

May I thread slide a bit here and ask about the differences in "high and low d"? I really like the dark rich tones a bari can achieve. I've noticed lots of bari players use and create their own string setups...looking forward to that ;)

Last edited:
I've talked myself out of a bari multiple times. I've been seriously looking the past few days and have a couple options so far.

May I thread slide a bit here and ask about the differences in "high and low d"? I really like the dark rich tones a bari can achieve. I've noticed lots of bari players use and create their own string setups...looking forward to that ;)
Personally I think low D is a bit more useful.
If you're getting a deeper sounding instrument, might as well capitalize on having that low D.

But high D has its perks. If you're used to re-entrant playing, then your technique will carry over directly and it'll retain some of that brighter ukulele character when strummed.

It also depends on the ukulele.
I find that often the ukulele chooses what tuning it wants to be in.

If this is switching gears too much please ask mods to move it, but I live in an area that's not within 4 hours of a reputable ukulele store(Uke Republic). I'm 2.5 to Mim's but she doesn't stock many baritones. You can probably see a better selection of uke's in my music room, seriously. So I can't hold an Ohana and try it's 38mm nut versus a Pono's 35-36mm nut. Will I be able to tell the difference? Is the Pono neck that much thicker than an Ohana? I keep mentioning those two because I'd like to be under $400 on first one, but prefer solid wood if possible. I re-strung one of my tenors to make it a baby baritone to see how I liked the sound, and I like it a lot. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for all thoughts.

"the best thing ever?" I can think of tons of things better than a baritone uke...every other size uke for starters...Fire, rocket ships, beer, food...the list goes on and on.

I think the downside of baritones to me is that with all the strings I've tried so far the D string is a bit boomy and not very rich, compared to the same string on a guitar. I do enjoy baritone a lot, but tenor doesn't have a string with that experience for me.
I think it may depend on the make. I replaced my Kala baritone with the Flight Fireball mango and it is smooth and even across the registers.

If this is switching gears too much please ask mods to move it, but I live in an area that's not within 4 hours of a reputable ukulele store(Uke Republic). I'm 2.5 to Mim's but she doesn't stock many baritones. You can probably see a better selection of uke's in my music room, seriously. So I can't hold an Ohana and try its 38mm nut versus a Pono's 35-36mm nut. Will I be able to tell the difference? Is the Pono neck that much thicker than an Ohana? I keep mentioning those two because I'd like to be under $400 on first one, but prefer solid wood if possible. I re-strung one of my tenors to make it a baby baritone to see how I liked the sound, and I like it a lot. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for all thoughts
hmmm. I could not, tell that much difference in the neck or the nut. But I could tell a difference in the scale length. Ohana‘s are typically 19 inch while Pono‘s tend to be 20 inch. Doesn’t sound like much, but I found the 19 inch to be much more comfortable to play. Ive owned several Ponos. They are nice instruments - the newer ones especially. I’ve only owned one Ohana. I still have it but sold the Ponos.

If I wanted to play a linear tuned larger instrument, I'd go back to playing guitar, which I gave up after fifty years when I took up the uke in mid 2013. The 'best' is so completely subjective, my best is a tenor reentrant high G cutaway thinline. I now have six, two custom, because I like different looking wood, and have no reservations spending the money, which for those six is about $2800.

Ukulele Collection.jpg

Last edited:
If this is switching gears too much please ask mods to move it, but I live in an area that's not within 4 hours of a reputable ukulele store(Uke Republic). I'm 2.5 to Mim's but she doesn't stock many baritones. You can probably see a better selection of uke's in my music room, seriously. So I can't hold an Ohana and try it's 38mm nut versus a Pono's 35-36mm nut. Will I be able to tell the difference? Is the Pono neck that much thicker than an Ohana? I keep mentioning those two because I'd like to be under $400 on first one, but prefer solid wood if possible. I re-strung one of my tenors to make it a baby baritone to see how I liked the sound, and I like it a lot. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for all thoughts.

Some people are sensitive to a difference in neck width and thickness and some aren't. Most threads I have read people do have a hard time with a wider nut width, or at least they mention it. All my ukes have a 1-3/8" nut width except my Kamaka baritone, which is 1-1/2". It took me a while to get used to it but I did.

My first ukes were concerts, and I liked them (this was back in the "Bushman" days). But I'm a former guitar player, and when I tried by first baritone, something clicked for me. I liked the linear tuning, lower register, and the longer scale. But these choices are all subjective, and although they work for me, I would not expect all ukulele players to feel exactly as I do. Baritone players are in the minority here, and there are even some bari haters out there. I'm happy to hear them even discussed in the forum. They are the "youngsters" of the uke family, with a shorter history than the other sizes of ukes. Well, maybe sopraninos are something recent, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, regardless of my love for the baritone uke, I will not disparage the opinions of anyone who prefers playing a soprano, concert, or tenor instead. As is said, it's a personal choice, and we're all in the family so play what you like!

I've owned a lot of baritones, but unless you commission a luthier to build you a custom, your choices are relatively limited to a few makers like Pono, Kala, and Ohana. It seems to me that tenor players enjoy access to the largest field of builders lately. That's fine, but I sure wish I could get a baritone Revelator : )

That's my two cents, and why I think that the baritone may not be the "best thing ever", but it's still pretty cool.

I am pleased this gentleman is satisfied with his baritone uke, more power to him. But a bari with a capo at the fifth fret sounds, well, like a bari with a capo at the fifth fret, not a soprano, concert or tenor.

me thinks...a capo at the 5th fret, or any fret for that matter, totally robs a baritone of any voice or character(nylon strings do not like capos)...high D is not too bad for some Hawaiian music(but not much)...the lattice braced Pono's are really nice...a good Favilla beats a good Martin every time(in spite of the side dot at the 9th and my B51with a side port is an exception)...Kelali's are one of the best values out there(kinda wide nut with an annoying flat spot on back of neck I've learned to ignore but real performer)...long neck tenors tuned DGBE are duds.
I love my baritone's but they must have volume. Tenor and concert ukuleles can drown out a baritone in a group...and all 3 can drown out a tenor guitar...side sound ports work! :D

Last edited:
I have a pair of Baritones and was not able to try either in person. The Pono has a nice voice, however for myself the Kala is more comfortable in the left hand. Kala seems to have a flatter neck and the Pono is more rounded. I did try an Ohana and a Makai over in Greensboro and they had a feel similar to the Pono. Like strings, neck shape and nut width seem to be personal preference which may change over time as one spends more time with a uke in the hand.

Just my thoughts, not sure if they help but always glad to share.

Last edited:
Top Bottom