Why Mango?

Millar Custom Pilikua Hawaiian Mango Jumbo Tenor​

Millar-Jumbo-Rope-Mango-Tenor-High-G-Ukulele-1.jpg

From my experience I think mango give me the most sweet and mellow sound not much like other wood when it's come to picking

And especially for koaloha brand you will love it if you give it a try without any judging first

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Japanese Rabbithole or PSBT thread, but I figured it's such gorgeous mango it belongs here...

I'm REALLY loving my mango Pono Master Series, after switching to my "go to" strings, Pepe Romero fluorocarbons. Beautiful tone, very similar to mahogany, imho. Warm with a nice bit of sparkle.pono_mgbd-6-ms_9714-1.jpgpono_mgbd-6-ms_9714-4.jpg

I'd be interesting in playing a mango tenor sometime. I have a Pono Mango baritone but it's never been my favorite - a bit too boomy. It may well be the strings but at this point I have a custom Kimo baritone that blows my socks off.

I’m very curious what a mango kamaka would run… my guess is 6k or so?

I love wood in general so it is a short trip for me to love mango. And the sound, right there for me in the middle of hog and koa. Love it. It’s all personal taste obviously. Any would gonna have to be pretty ugly before I’d pick, for example, painted, which some people really dig. And I’m cool with that.

Just curious...does the sound quality of a Mango wood ukulele override its ugliness? Honestly, it would have to be an amazing-sounding instrument to justify the appearance. I'd be tempted to play it either in the dark or blindfolded! I know a lot of you think they look great, but I just can't get over the appearance. It looks like something that was pulled out of a scrap pile that has been exposed to the elements for 40 or 50 years!

Have at it, boys and girls. Tell me why you think Mango is a great wood for an uke! :p
I own a Pono Mango. It looks great and sounds great to me. But if you hate the way it looks, why even worry about it?

I can think of three very popular brands people seem to be crazy about. Mostly, I think their ukuleles are unattractive. But I won’t mention who they are. Why would I? Who even cares what I think? It would never occur to me to post my opinion that they are “ugly” because I’m not interested in denigrating something that someone else might really enjoy. Sometimes it’s better to keep my opinion to myself.

I suppose everyone is different.

Some of the ukuleles in this thread are absolutely beautiful!

Last edited:
I own a Pono Mango. It looks great and sounds great to me. But if you hate the way it looks, why even worry about it?

I can think of three very popular brands people seem to be crazy about. Mostly, I think their ukuleles are unattractive. But I won’t mention who they are. Why would I? Who even cares what I think? It would never occur to me to post my opinion that they are “ugly” because I’m not interested in denigrating something that someone else might really enjoy. Sometimes it’s better to keep my opinion to myself.

I suppose everyone is different.

Some of the ukuleles in this thread are absolutely beautiful!
Agreed +1!
The tone of mango is very nice. I compare it to mahogany with a bit more sparkle.
....and it is not "ugly", IMHO, but to each their own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom