(SOLVED) Is this a Kamaka HF-3 or HF-4?

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I’m bidding on this specific instrument, and I can’t tell if this is either a tenor or baritone model. I’m not saying where because I don’t wanna get outbid 🤣

Factors that make me guess one way or another:

1. Tenors have 18 frets, so it should be a tenor.
2. It was/is strung with two low wound strings, which is consistent with standard baritone tuning, however two low wound strings on tenor is not unheard of nowadays. However, I’m not sure if baritones from the early 2000s had 18 frets or not.

So in my mind, its most likely a tenor, but there’s a chance it could in fact be a baritone too.
Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpeg
    IMG_0375.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0377.jpeg
    IMG_0377.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 43
I believe the scale length defines the difference. If 17 to 18 inches from nut to bridge, then it is a tenor. If 19 inches, then it would be a baritone.

Going to TUS, the Kamaka baritones have 19 frets and the tenors have 18.

BTW, my concert came with and still has two wound strings (G & C). Same with many tenors.

My 2017 HF-3 has a white (Ivoroid) fret dot at the 15th fret. It has 18 frets.
The tuners are chrome with Snakewood buttons.
To me, the waist looks a little more pinched than the one in your photo. But that may be lens distortion.
Mine is s/n 171791 if that helps.

Sadly no, but in hindsight, I don’t really need two Kamaka tenors…

I bought a pineapple just recently at GC, but I am returning it. $800 is a good price, but would expect no cracks. Believe me, I had hoped to keep it as it played well, but the small cracks in a newer instrument is a red flag, vintage instruments, like my HF-1D is a different exception.

Top Bottom