Cone swap

devellis

Reaction score
I'm new and have done a search for an answer to this question but didn't find one. I have a Sound Smith resonator ukulele inbound and am thinking of swapping the cone out for a National. I found a National YouTube video explaining how to do this on a National guitar and it didn't look too daunting but there were a couple of potential issues.

First, the biscuit on the National was glued to the cone and getting it free seemed kind of rough. I don't know whether this would be the case with a Sound Smith uke. It seems preferable, but not essential, to re-use the original biscuit and saddle rather than fitting a new one. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Second, the tech from National angled the biscuit and saddle for optimal intonation. I have no idea how much angle, if any, a tenor uke would require. Thoughts?

If anyone has any insights on these two issues or on the general advisability of swapping the cone, I'd love the benefit of your wisdom.

Thanks

I'm new and have done a search for an answer to this question but didn't find one. I have a Sound Smith resonator ukulele inbound and am thinking of swapping the cone out for a National. I found a National YouTube video explaining how to do this on a National guitar and it didn't look too daunting but there were a couple of potential issues.

First, the biscuit on the National was glued to the cone and getting it free seemed kind of rough. I don't know whether this would be the case with a Sound Smith uke. It seems preferable, but not essential, to re-use the original biscuit and saddle rather than fitting a new one. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Second, the tech from National angled the biscuit and saddle for optimal intonation. I have no idea how much angle, if any, a tenor uke would require. Thoughts?

If anyone has any insights on these two issues or on the general advisability of swapping the cone, I'd love the benefit of your wisdom.

Thanks
I have upgraded a uke and a tenor guitar with new National Resophonic ukulele cone kits.
National does not sell the uke cone by itself. It is a kit: the kits I received were three pieces: cone, bridge/saddle, and screw.

You could use the original biscuit/saddle, but some of the imports are less than ideal.
I measured my original biscuit/saddle and cut the new one to that size.
I used an inexpensive "X-ACTO razor saw set" to cut the saddle down to size, and a generic needle file set to make the slots.

You only need to angle the saddle if you are using steel strings.

Good luck!
*The improvement in sound is great! I have a 3rd National cone kit on order for my next project.

I have upgraded a uke and a tenor guitar with new National Resophonic ukulele cone kits.
National does not sell the uke cone by itself. It is a kit: the kits I received were three pieces: cone, bridge/saddle, and screw.

You could use the original biscuit/saddle, but some of the imports are less than ideal.
I measured my original biscuit/saddle and cut the new one to that size.
I used an inexpensive "X-ACTO razor saw set" to cut the saddle down to size, and a generic needle file set to make the slots.

You only need to angle the saddle if you are using steel strings.

Good luck!
*The improvement in sound is great! I have a 3rd National cone kit on order for my next project.
Someone raised the possibility that the National cone might be the wrong size for a tenor uke. Any thoughts? The Nationals are 5.825 inches. Is that smaller than what is customarily on a tenor uke? I would have thought concert and tenor resonator ukuleles would have the same size cone but I'm certinly not sure about that and would appreciate any insights.

Someone raised the possibility that the National cone might be the wrong size for a tenor uke. Any thoughts? The Nationals are 5.825 inches. Is that smaller than what is customarily on a tenor uke? I would have thought concert and tenor resonator ukuleles would have the same size cone but I'm certinly not sure about that and would appreciate any insights.
I am not familiar with Sound Smith, but if the coverplate is a little over 6 inches wide, the National cone should fit.
(I think most import cones are copies of the National)

I have installed National cones in a Kala tenor uke, and in two tenor guitars from JN Guitars

I upgraded the 2nd guitar yesterday! One has steel-strings and the other I swapped to classical strings.
(Both are tuned octave-GCEA, so they are giant ukes to me...)
http://www.jnguitars.com/en/node_5813541e26088.html
http://www.jnguitars.com/en/node_5c17c4cb3f0f2.html

Top Bottom