Strings Savarez Yellow Card all-wound classical guitar strings for Low G Uke???

duganderson

Reaction score
I saw this post a while back. I'm trying to fine these Savarez Yellow Card all-wound classical guitar strings. Rick Turner said he liked to use the D to the high E for low G to A but I can't seem to find these online. Any chance someone could send me a link to where to buy them or a photo of the package? I tried to message him but it did not go through.

Here's the original post from Rick Turner.......I personally like Savarez Yellow Card all-wound classical guitar strings...the D to the high E...for low G to A tuning on my tenor. They'd be kind of floppy on a soprano, though. What I like about them is that they are incredibly consistent tonally from string to string. The fretted C on the 4th string sounds just like the open C 3rd string; the fretted E on the 3rd string sounds just like the open 2nd string, and the fretted A on the 2nd string sounds just like the open 1st string. Harmonics are true, and there's none of the tubbiness like I hate in the plain "G's" that I've tried.

Another thread on Savarez strings says the company discontinued
the 504dh, 541, 542, and 543 strings. I don’t know if these were marketed with a yellow card.

Another member, @Kekani , replied that he has used these replacements:

”544J or 544R, depending on the build. I switched to the 500CJ/500CR Trebles from the 540 Alliance series; I find better balance across the strings, especially the 1st string. But, stayed with the 544 4th string.”

Sorry I can’t figure out how to send the link to the thread! Duh.

I’m using this Savarez set, which sounds stupendous on my two concerts: KF 541R, KF 542R, and KF 543R on top; and HT Classic 544R for low G. All normal tension. However, only the bottom string is wound. This is the set Craig Brandau uses, and Strings by Mail sells it as a custom set here:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that! Based on his posts, he seemed like a pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful man.
His biography that was on his website makes for very interesting reading. He did a little of everything in Rock before he started making ukuleles. Designing pickups, sound engineer for the Grateful Dead and the wall of sound, started several companies, worked for Gibson for a while. Designed some beautiful electric guitars. A very accomplished and versatile man. And by all accounts, a nice guy.

I have been using a Frankenstein set for years that had been recommended by other UU members. I try other combinations but always return to this set.

Attachments

• IMG_6178.jpeg
    IMG_6178.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom