New Uke Day (NUD) Amazing find! Late 60s early 70s Kamaka HF-1D!

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not sure if I will keep this or return it, but I'm leaning towards keeping it. I just need to play it a bit more first!

So I picked up this little guy on Reverb the other day, and just received it an hour or two ago. Let me tell you the story behind this instrument before I talk about it.
A luthier in Maine was at a thrift store, and managed to find what looked to be a vintage white label HF-1 soprano. But this was no ordinary vintage uke. It appeared to have been brand new still in the box with the original paper, for nearly 60 years! Let's not forget to talk about the original Kamaka hang tag. It reads "Attn. Sam Kamaka" Makes me wonder if Sam himself built this one....Due to lack of proper humidification over that long of a period, it had developed a few issues. Luckily a luthier found it, and he basically had to take the whole instrument apart to fix the 3 small cracks that all appeared above the sound hole. And the original glue had crystallized, so the joints had all needed repairing. It even still has the original strings and tuners. And the friction tuners even work quite well! Action is extremely low at 1.5mm at 12th fret, yet there is no buzzing at all.

What is very distinct about this uke, per contact from Kamaka via the luthier, this uke is from the late 60s to early 70s, and appears to be a semi-custom that sits somewhere between the HF-1 and HF-1D models. With a very curly koa top, koa binding on the sides, and dots on the bridge, none of that is typical of a HF-1, in my opinion. This thing sure is a beauty and I can't believe I stumbled upon it. Even the headstock and neck have some nice curl to it!

The finish is also glossy (which I have never seen on ANY of the vintage Kamaka's I have seen), but the luthier did have to touch up the finish in a few places in the restoration process. Has anyone else ever seen a vintage gloss Kamaka? I feel that due to the glossy finish alone, I've found a diamond in the rough!

The fretboard shows no sign of wear AT ALL!

Has anyone else ever purchased a restored/basically unsold brand new vintage uke before? I wonder if this is the kind of heirloom ukulele that I would want to give my son for his first instrument. (He just turned 1 year old, and I cannot wait to start teaching him ASAP!!)

Attachments

• IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1661.jpeg
    IMG_1661.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1667.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1668.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 158
nice find!
you can really see the flat neck in those photos. I'm not sure I'd give it to and infant/toddler/little kid, but that's me...
Oh don't worry, we would only start lessons once he understands how to properly treat an instrument! 😂 What's up with the flat neck? Is that something done in the past that's not done now, or what?

Oh don't worry, we would only start lessons once he understands how to properly treat an instrument! 😂 What's up with the flat neck? Is that something done in the past that's not done now, or what?
Years ago I made one of the Stewmac kits. It was a fun experience, although it did not end up being a good player for various reasons. When my son was a few years old he liked to strum on it. At some point he put it down and not watching where he was going he stepped on it, putting a huge crack the length of the top. Thank goodness it was not any instrument of value.

I have a pineapple uke which according to Kamaka is from 1969-74. It has that same flat neck. Coupled with a bit wider nut and string spread it is very comfortable to play.

Lovely uke!

Last edited:
That Koa is crazy beautiful. Not sure what you paid for it but even if your son doesn't get it, hang on to it! A luthier on Maui once told me that a few years of Kamaka's builds, they used a glue that if I remember it right was a delicacy of a certain bacteria. And he had rebuilt several that had literally just come unglued.

Would it shock you if I told you that I spent roughly $650 on it? I think thats pretty close to the going rate for some vintage white and gold labels that have normal wear and tear too.
Great deal! I've seen some curly Koa on a few early Kamaka's but never with the colors on yours!

What's up with the flat neck? Is that something done in the past that's not done now, or what?
I'm not quite sure why "badhabits" picked out this point, yet it is an issue that has generated some debate in the builders section of late.
Historically, ukuleles were built with necks set flat to the body, and in the picture with the neck on the table, you can clearly see its set flat on this uke.
Guitar builders are very particular about instruments needing some angle on the neck, in order for there to be "sufficient" break angle over the saddle.
It's a bit of a technical argument.
Ukuleles historically had necks set flat to the body and they sound just fine like that.
There are still a lot of ukuleles built with flat set necks, yet some builders are changing build techniques.

I'm not quite sure why "badhabits" picked out this point, yet it is an issue that has generated some debate in the builders section of late.
Historically, ukuleles were built with necks set flat to the body, and in the picture with the neck on the table, you can clearly see its set flat on this uke.
Guitar builders are very particular about instruments needing some angle on the neck, in order for there to be "sufficient" break angle over the saddle.
Ukuleles historically had necks set flat to the body and they sound just fine like that.
There are still a lot of ukuleles built with flat set necks, yet some builders are changing build techniques.
Thanks for elaborating! I had no clue!

I thought badhabits was referring to the cross section shape of the neck - like a really flat D - rather than the angle used to attach the neck to the body. You're referring to the neck maybe being parallel to the body, correct?

I checked my ukes and just by looking at them it seems like: my white label Kamaka Lili'u looks flat, my 2000 KoAloha concert looks like the neck is angled up from the body, and my newer luthier built concert and Gretsch tenor have necks angled down from the body. I am quite happy with each of them the way they are, so not sure if this makes a difference from players perspective. But I am also not very picky on details like this.

That is amazing. My white label Kamaka soprano also needed a complete rebuild but it was well used. It too has a bit of sap-wood down the middle, but nothing close to yours... That definitely does not look like a standard HF-1 by any stretch of the imagination. BTW, I put planetary tuners on my and absolutely love it! Preserves the look of the original friction tuners but is so much more user friendly.

Holy cow guys! I just found out some amazing new info about this uke. I just spoke on the phone with Chris Kamaka, who actually confirmed to me that this is not a semi custom model at all…it’s actually the full fledged HF-1D of that era! He told me that the during that time they deluxe features included a maple binding, curly koa bridge with dots, curly koa headstock and neck, koa fingerboard, gloss finish, and finally a 4A grade koa top! I cannot believe I happened upon this gem!! The action was so low (1.5mm at 12th fret) that finger-style playing was almost impossible, so the luthier who I bought it from is crafting me a new bone saddle, as he shaved it down too much. Plus….new bone nut and saddle instead of original plastic, instant upgrade. Also, @revdocjim I am definitely already planning on putting gotohs on it. I actually changed to gotohs on my other vintage soprano and have had marvelous results!

Top Bottom